Simple SST-50 question

sfca

Enlightened
I see these Highest Flux Bin SST-50 emitters at the marketplace.

From the spec sheet :thinking:and binning & labeling info:thinking:
shrug.gif
Ive come to this conclusion.

They are:

Colour:
White
W65S (higher then W57S 5700K so better (? ?))

Bin Kit Flux Code:
GJ

Minimum Flux:

Flux Bin (FF):
WJ

Chromaticity (Color) Bin:
G3

Conclusion:
Pretty much the "bestest" white SST-50s in the G3 color tint.

Im looking for an SST-50 for a P60 drop-in.

So, hows the one above compare with W57S GJ bin
?

And what advantages are there to the W57S GJ over a W65S GJ ?

I should let you know the use:

The use at work is to initially blind subject(s) in a crowd environment.

So brightness and tint is what I should take into consideration. (Blue/pure white/incandescent,etc tint is more blinding)

A big hotspot and lux in all areas of the hotspot (non-center as well) should be considered as well.

Any advice would be gladly accepted!

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm, the luminus emitters are getting pretty bright and eye's don't grow back. Sure you're security and perhaps protecting others, but I am going to suggest that it is with-in your ability to cross into the domain of inflicting permanent damage, at which whom-ever uses your light is the attacker prepared for aggravated assault. I know, light is good and its offering you and those around you some protection from phsycal confrontation

For the use you describe, the finer characteristics don't matter.
Tint is produced by putting phosphorus, a coloured material, over the emitting surface. More and darker phosphurs are used to make warmer tints. Crudely explained then, the little bit brighter and more efficient, come from coolest emitters.

Last edited:

sfca

Enlightened
For the use you describe, the finer characteristics don't matter.
Tint is produced by putting phosphorus, a coloured material, over the emitting surface. More and darker phosphurs are used to make warmer tints. Crudely explained then, the little bit brighter and more efficient, come from coolest emitters.

Sweet thanks! Advice is well intentioned; I certainly will not intend to blind and maim anyone in anyway. A man's gotta see for the rest of his life.

Fulgeo

Enlightened

I mean no disrespect but this statement while being "generally" true for the majority of LED emitters, might not be specifically true in the case of the SST-50 and SST-90. I had a talk a while back with a Luminus engineer about their products and our CPF flashlight applications. He said their blue pump phosphorus has a "sweet spot" in their light conversion to the visible spectrum. Basically he felt that the W57S would be ever so slightly better than the W65S output wise. Both would be good choices but he gave the nod to W57S for overall output. The phosphorus converts the blue and ultraviolet light of the LED into the visible spectrum. I know what you are getting at Linger since the Luminus charts shows a general trend for the output efficiency to fall in their Flux chart as they get "warmer" in tint. That is one of the reason I called Luminus. I have purchased and built two mods using 5700K SST-50 and SST-90. The tint is slightly warm and makes a fine flashlight. For me the advantage of a slightly warm tint is the color correctness of illuminated objects and versatility during those high relative humidity Michigan nights. During high humidity nights, blue-white or pure white lights seem to illuminate particles in the air and become less useful since they distract from getting the light on target. Now getting back to this guy's build. If I wanted a light for crowd control i.e. to shine into someone else's eye's to harass and annoy for effect, I would get the 6500K tint because to my eye they are definitely harsher. I agree that some caution is needed because of how much light is present, hence to "harass and annoy" not blind. No disrespect and much love to my CPF hommies!

Happy Mods!

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fulgeo,
Much appreciation for adding your contribution from the Luminus employee.
My info came from jtr's whiteledtesting thread. Will you consider re-posting the details of your conversation with the Luminus employee to that thread? Around pg 14 you'll see why it's relevant to that thread.
But after I type that, I wonder if its still current? Past summer when luminus was hyping the phlatled and only the demo bins were out, datasheets referenced warm tints near top flux with 93CRI. These were re-dacted when the bins were rolled out, warm tints were knocked down in flux and in CRI. There was no announcement, they just resorted the bins and the high CRI warm tint bins I'd been hoping for disappeared.

Eitherway its an excellent contribution for discussion and I do thank you for your response.

PM sent re: bin recommendation.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Linger,
I also have spent alot of time milling over jtr1962's fine thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/89607 in the past and present. I am really interested in seeing the test results for the Cree XP-G S2 when they become available. The SST-90 that jtr1962 tested in his thread I believe was presumed to be of 6500K tint. I had my conversation with the Luminus engineer in November 2009 and I purchased my 5700K SST-50 and SST-90 also in November 2009. My MFG P/N numbers where SST-90-W57S-F11-GN200 and SST-50-W57S-F21-GJ200. I did not order the hand select 201 varieties but did ok since both tints did not have the dreaded feline urine green shade. I just went over to http://avnetexpress.avnet.com and swam thru their web page and it seems that the 5700K SST-50s are out of stock again :(. I am a bit tempted to buy a SST-50 from PhotonFanatic in his sales thread here http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=205667
just to see for myself how the 6500K stacks up to the 5700K. Also for what it is worth the 5700K SST-50's tint is very similar to the tint of a SSC P7 DSVNI. A very usable pleasing warm tint. Tint is in the eye of the beholder but for my tastes I would not drop down to the 4500K SST-50. Also the 4500K bin is where you take the first hit in performance as per the Luminus white paper. Hope this information helps.

PM sent!