RE: Looking for a Specific Torch:

itbloke

Newly Enlightened
RE: Looking for a Specific Torch:

Hi All,

Having been lurking around and thoroughly enjoying reading your forum, and would like to start off by congratulating you all on a great, highly informative and very polite forum, its a real credit to you.

I always like to start off in a humble way by admitting complete ignorance and lack of knowledge in a subject, you don't have to be an expert in the subject to enjoy it.

However I am now wondering if any of you can help me, I want to buy two metal torches, preferably aluminium, about six to eight inches in length that have on their end a lanyard loop machined out of the actual metal, of the cap, I was wondering if any of you know of a torch that might fit that description, hope that you do because and in real need of getting hold of two of them and will have to investigate modding existing torches if not, and I don't have much expertise in the subject, although do know a great engineer who owes me one or two favours.

I would like to thank you in advance for you kind thoughts and responses on this matter,

Kind Regards & Best Wishes, Ashe Medforth, Old London Town, G.B.

Last edited:

duboost

Enlightened
Re: Looking for a Specific Torch:

:welcome:

There are so many lights to choose from. To help narrow down your choices you can fill out this checklist to give everyone an idea on more specific features you'd like in the light (type of batteries, brightness, user interface, what the light will be used for, etc)

Niconical

Enlightened

metal torches, preferably aluminium, about six to eight inches in length that have on their end a lanyard loop machined out of the metal, of the cap.....

Although you've given some specific detail, more info would be helpful. Do you need very bright or longer runtime? Also bear in mind that you'll need to adjust your definitions for that. Our "meh, it's ok, not that bright though" for you will likely be "that's the brightest thing I've ever seen".

Also, what battery type? There are of course loads, but most torches fall into the AA or CR123A catagory. If you choose AA you'll need rechargeables or lithium disposables. Alkaline batteries can't provide the current needed (well, not for very long anyway) for high powered torches. If CR123A you WILL need to find an online source. I buy from www.batterystation.com, a well liked and respected dealer.

That aside though, just based on what you listed.....

Option 1: All conditions met :)

Option 2: Cheaper, then buy the lanyard and ring separately.

Option 3: There are plenty of other torches with which that same lanyard and ring can be used.
Try ebay for "solarforce".

Note: Options 1 and 2 (and any Solarforce etc) torches can very easily be changed to LED by replacing the bulb. Also, both of the Surefires are probably a lot more expensive that you might have expected. You do get what you pay for, but there are also numerous other torches that follow Surefire sizing (so the lanyard will fit) but which are significantly cheaper and also good quality. However, as you're new I'll point this out, please don't ask anything along the lines of "so why are those Surefires expensive when XYZ brand seems better?" as that is a touchy subject here which has been done to death. I'll sum it up for you here. Surefire are very good, but you to pay for it. Others are also very good. Which you get is up to you.

itbloke

Newly Enlightened

Hey, thank you so much for the prompt reply, I assure you it is deeply appreciated old chap, however, really sorry, little bit dumb and simply could not figure out how to use your list, but great idea though, however not wanting anything quite that complicated, I just want two general purpose torches that have the following features:

(1). Most importantly, They must have FULLY INTEGRAL LANYARD CLIP MACHINED DIRECTLY ON THE END OF THE TORCH instead of a switch, , (however not merely a lanyard clip, it must be part of the actual torch's body, as both torches will have to take hell of a lot of force). If their is genuinely not one available with is what I am beginning to believe I would not mind paying to have a new end cap machined that does have the required centred lanyard Loop.

(2). They both must be tubular or octagonal and at least six to eight inches in length and as smooth and clutter free as possible.

(3). They must be made of machined metal, preferably aluminium, and be fairly sturdy

(4). They must be made of and have a good average LED light output, and be able to run for at least an hour on one set of batteries or charge.

(5). Optional although preferred, would like to have the corrugated end over the lamp, so I can place it face down and see if the light is on.

However other than that I am really open minded, if your good self or anyone else has any idea's where I could find such a torch I would be very grateful, as I am struggling to find such a thing either in the shops or on the internet, as it is very difficult to search under rear lanyard.

Anyway thanks for all you efforts thus far, I eagerly look forward to hearing your idea's.

Kind Regards & Best Wishes, Ashe Medforth.

:welcome:

There are so many lights to choose from. To help narrow down your choices you can fill out this checklist to give everyone an idea on more specific features you'd like in the light (type of batteries, brightness, user interface, what the light will be used for, etc)

itbloke

Newly Enlightened

Hi Thanks for your reply, and suggestions, however perhaps I have not clarified myself enough, here which is my bad, it is all about the lanyard loop, the torches you suggested where great, however, and would be more that adequate, to do the job that I require, I have already been able to find lots of those myself.

However, I need a protruding lanyard loop that is actually machined, into the end of the torch, clips will simply not suffice, and it has to be centred perfectly on the end, so it hangs down perfectly at 90 degrees, this is the most important thing, it must also be really strong and nearly be able to support a light persons weight. other than that most AA torches would be generally suffice already.

However I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your time in this matter, I really do appreciate your efforts, also really sorry for how dumb I am, I will try and learn a bit more, I promise, LOL.

Kind Regards & Best Wishes ~ Ashe Medforth.

Although you've given some specific detail, more info would be helpful. Do you need very bright or longer runtime? Also bear in mind that you'll need to adjust your definitions for that. Our "meh, it's ok, not that bright though" for you will likely be "that's the brightest thing I've ever seen".

Also, what battery type? There are of course loads, but most torches fall into the AA or CR123A catagory. If you choose AA you'll need rechargeables or lithium disposables. Alkaline batteries can't provide the current needed (well, not for very long anyway) for high powered torches. If CR123A you WILL need to find an online source. I buy from www.batterystation.com, a well liked and respected dealer.

That aside though, just based on what you listed.....

Option 1: All conditions met :)

Option 2: Cheaper, then buy the lanyard and ring separately.

Option 3: There are plenty of other torches with which that same lanyard and ring can be used.
Try ebay for "solarforce".

Note: Options 1 and 2 (and any Solarforce etc) torches can very easily be changed to LED by replacing the bulb. Also, both of the Surefires are probably a lot more expensive that you might have expected. You do get what you pay for, but there are also numerous other torches that follow Surefire sizing (so the lanyard will fit) but which are significantly cheaper and also good quality. However, as you're new I'll point this out, please don't ask anything along the lines of "so why are those Surefires expensive when XYZ brand seems better?" as that is a touchy subject here which has been done to death. I'll sum it up for you here. Surefire are very good, but you to pay for it. Others are also very good. Which you get is up to you.

Niconical

Enlightened

Well, the Surefire lanyards are out, they're designed to break away under force.

As for where you go now, not sure. For something that specific you might need to have it custom made. The majority of the torches you'll see discussed here have the switch at the end, exactly where you want the lanyard attached. There are of course some that have side switches, but the list is narrowed considerably.

You should try the question in the custom builders section.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that most if not all Inova lights come with a big hole in the tailcap. It looks big enough to fit a paracord through, but I haven't really tried it. I'm sure there are some here that have.

*edit* It isn't centered, but will hang near 90 degrees. To center it, it would have to be a side switch light.

Take a look at them.

http://www.inovalight.com/military.html

Last edited:

jankj

Enlightened

I'm speculating if the fenix TK20 may be used in the fashion you describe. The tailcap has a pair of flanges to accomodate lanyards, and as far as I remember those flanges should be able to accomodate paracord - size lanyard and look quite strong. Or at the very least, you can get some webbing in there. Like the Innova, the suspension point is off center, but should still hang close to 90 degrees. You could also fashion a two-point system using both flanges, that should get your TK20 perfectly straight vertical. And you should still be able to use that big fat tail switch. Runtime exceeds your specs by a fair margin, both on high and medium (2-mode light).

The TK20 has been through lots of abuse testing, but I don't think anyone has tried swinging from it... perhaps if you post a separate thread in the LED section you can get someone to try it out? It would be fun and exciting to see if the TK20 can handle it, which is just as good reason as any ... at the cost of $55 or so it's not exactly the end of the world if it fails.

This has certainly aroused my interest - may I ask WHY you have this spesific requirement?

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

One light that meets most of the requirements is the RA Twisty, though not 6-8 inches long. It has two large holes in the center of the tail. That and it is no longer being produced. =\

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

However, I need a protruding lanyard loop ................. so it hangs down perfectly at 90 degrees, this is the most important thing, it must also be really strong and nearly be able to support a light persons weight..
Do you want to hang a light person off the end of a torch? That'll be some lanyard hoop. And it'll want some pretty decent threads in the tailcap.

jankj

Enlightened

Do you want to hang a light person off the end of a torch? That'll be some lanyard hoop. And it'll want some pretty decent threads in the tailcap.

Threads are very, very strong because of the way the force is distributed (angle of attack). I'd think the lanyard loops or the entire tail cap would rip apart before the threads gave way.

But the most interesting question remains unanswered:
:confused: WHY do the original poster wants to dangle from a suspended torch?:confused::huh:

I can't think of any reason besides "just for the fun of it", which of course is as good a reason as any.