Falling in love with the Surefire E2L all over again...

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Over the past year I pieced together a Surefire E2L... an e2dl tail, a 17mm bored e2e body and a kx2b head. Over the last month I was toying with putting it up on the Marketplace. Whenever I start having these inclinations towards a light, I start bringing it with me more when I walk my dog. Over time the the high mode was not so bright, hardly different than the low mode. To most of us here that would indicate low batteries... me... it didn't even cross my mind until two nights ago when I was using it in the yard and it flickered and died. :ohgeez:

So here comes the falling in love all over again part... :D

I replaced the batteries and holy crap... I don't remember ever seeing that amount of light come out of this thing before! The e2l on high is supposed to be 60 lumens, but it's brighter than my Jet III PRO IBS on medium, and there's not too much of a visual difference than the same light on high. According to runtimes on high it was tested to run at that light level for up to six hour regulated on 2xCR123 and four hours on a 17670.

I'll be very curious to see its behavior and performance over the next few weeks, but it's definitely not going to end up on the Marketplace anytime soon! :party:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel the same way about mine. Excellent levels for usefulness and runtime. They didn't pick a max level to impress, just a nice super long running low and a do everything else high that won't burn up the batteries. One of the only sequential mode lights I can stand (no memory, low first, and only two modes with well chosen reset timer). I can't imagine ever selling mine. When I get around to putting a Q3-3A XR-E or Q4-4C XP-E in it, its life will never end.

carrot

Flashaholic
The E2L, in all its variations, has always been one sweet light. It's a favorite of mine (I have three currently) and an excellent all-rounder.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean there is always different brand lights that come along that I fall in love with even for a long time but then I turn on the Surefire's and think wow what have I been doing.

prime77

Enlightened
I agree with you on the E2L. It's a great light. I was able to piece together a nice black one.

047.jpg

jchoo

Enlightened
I miss mine, moreso than then single level E2DL I coveted.

Gotta find another one on the MP for $100...

computernut

Enlightened
Even though the E2L isn't my most used light, I wouldn't give it up. Someday the long runtime and dual levels will come in handy. It always seems like I can use it as much and I want and it just keeps going and when the high mode stops working it just drops down to low mode so you're not stuck in the dark. Throw an F04 diffuser on it and it's like having a different light.

Vesper

Enlightened
I agree totally. I love mine to pieces. If an earthquake hit and I could only grab one, it would be it. It even became more perfect for my use when I added a F04 diffuser and the Z68 tailcap. It's not built for wow, just real-life usefulness.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
The F04 is the one piece I'm missing!

So I took the e2l and Jet III PRO IBS (hereafter referred to as Jet) for a walk again tonight, as well as comparing output against the white wall. Up close and at a long distance, to my non-scientific eyes, the e2l looks brighter than the my Jet running at 50%. According to Selfbuilt's runtime tests, the Jet ran for 3 hour 17 minutes to 50% (and then immediately shut off) on an 18650. Compare that to cbubu's runtime of an e2l running on a 17670 that ran flat out regulated for 4:42 and 6:05 to 50%.

Am I missing something here??? Does my e2l on a 17670 really put out more light longer than a Jet with an 18650??? I'll have to take some tail current measurements tomorrow.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started a similar thread about my E2L awhile back. I love mine. I got a 3 way lottery winner with mine - perfectly round beam, Surefire lumens, and the tint is jaw-dropping. I love it. I see it being in my collection for a while to come.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a KX2 when they 1st came out and SF had them reasonably priced ($66). It was not without flaws though. It was almost cat urine green and the beam is egged shaped. I took it to Peru and explored lots of dark Incan and pre-Incan ruins with it. Put a diffuser on it and used it as a candle for late night drinking. The tint actually worked well in the jungle. Just the right amount of lumens, 45 SF lumens. The runtime is spectacular. I decided not to send it in to SF because I don't like the interface for the 2 level one. It has really grown on me and while it is not a primary light, I bring it on camping trips and the like as a loaner. I don't have to worry about family and friends burning through batteries and it is a crowd pleaser. If I want bright I use a KX2C, but that is for another thread!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I regrettably traded my E2L and now thanks to you all I think I now have to go looking for another, hope I can find one in the marketplace for trade anyone looking to trade one let me know :)

carrot

Flashaholic
I regrettably traded my E2L and now thanks to you all I think I now have to go looking for another, hope I can find one in the marketplace for trade anyone looking to trade one let me know :)
Yeah I feel bad for the two people on the forums who sold me their KX2's... But I'm happy :D

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L is arguably the best pocket-sized general use flashlight ever made, bar none. I keep one in the backpack and another in the car. I'll never sell or trade 'em...

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also absolutely love my E2L. Like the old AMEX slogan says....I never leave home without it. It is in my backpack with some other lights. In fact, it resides in the same pocket as another SF light I love. My E2DL. I also hit the lottery with my E2L. It has a perfectly round and creamy smooth white beam, and is surely putting out much more than its stated lumens. I also use it around the house at night on low with the F04, and it is just perfect. This is one of those lights that you keep for a life time. I gave my 7 year old son a 2 level KX2 on an E1L body which runs on an AW RCR123 protected cell that he sleeps with and carries often. I hope he keeps that for a life time.

dsc01660a.jpg

Last edited:

Jida

Newly Enlightened
I have no experience with the E2L however I recently received an E2DL-bk as a gift.

It has quickly become my primary light although it has also made me dive into the CR123 world.

If the E2L is anything like it then I may be hitting the checkbook again :(

Gatsby

Enlightened
I picked up a Milky Creemator and figured that it would obsolete my E2L dual mode ... but I find them to be complementary actually (my Creemator has a McR19 in it so the beam shapes are quite different). I have an E2E body that I use with a 17670 and either the Creemator or the KX2, and I also throw the KX2 on an E1L body with an RCR123 for a quite nice and useful pocket light. I can't see it leaving the collection any time soon either...

Heck even my KX1 is hard to part with since mine is very nearly as bright as the KX2 and there are times when a 1 primary cell light is a nice option with very long runtimes...

I know with the E2DL and LX2 floating about with super high outputs the E2L gets lost in the shuffle but I agree that it is a very, very practical and usable light with some nice versatility as well given lego options.

computernut

Enlightened
I have a short clip on order to replace the E2L's long clip. I find it interferes with my grip on the light. I prefer the short clip on my L4 and E2E.