Just got my JetBeam RRT-1

T-3

Newly Enlightened
Just got my JetBeam RRT-1 today! I've been eager to try it out, but wanted to do some research on here first to ease my mind about handling the 18650's that came with it. I've been spending the last 2 hours reading posts on these batteries (UltraFire 18650 3000 mAh 3.7V li-ion) and the charger (WF-139), and frankly, it's scared the heck out of me!!! :faint::faint:

From what I gather, these are not the best choice batteries or charger...:confused: Or perhaps, I'm being too paranoid! I gather that when I charge them, watch for the charge light to turn green... then take them out sooner than later and wait a little bit before using them. Is it that simple?? Also, can I leave them in the light when not in use? Forgive the question(s)... I'm new to these batteries and just want to avoid injury!! :oops:

brianch

Enlightened
Don't leave the charger when the battery is charging. Make sure you don't overcharge or over discharge the battery. If you battery is protected you don't need to worry. Yes you can leave the battery in the light but not for a long period of time. The batteries are fine, I use them and as long as you don't overcharge, overdischarge, or short circuit them - you should be fine. Get a multimeter and test the voltage of the battery to make sure the voltage is right off the charger. Congrats on the RRT-1. It's a great light.

T-3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply's. It makes me feel a more at ease! I'll definitely pick up a multimeter this weekend. I believe these are protected cells... they say "short circuit and over current protection" on them. I've been using li-ion 123's for my 123 Mini, and I'm sure these are not too much different, but I've got to admit... they're big and intimidating things!!! :crackup:

One other quick question... would these be similar to my Eneloops in the sense that they will hold their charge for long periods when just storing them? Or, do these need to be checked on a regular basis and charged when the reach a certain discharge level? Sorry for what is likely a newbie question, but I am a quick learner!

Last edited:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
What's a good multimeter!?! I'm using several different AW 18650's, a few AW RCR123's, and the EagleTac 18650's. Should I be throwing these on a multimeter or does it matter. I'm pretty sure they are all protected cells but I'm not 100%. What will a multimeter tell me...the volts when fully charged?

T-3

Newly Enlightened
+1 to getting a multimeter!

It is a must have piece of equipment when dealing with Li-ion's!

I did take your advice and picked up a multimeter today! Not sure if it's top of the line, but it seems to be a good one. It's a nexxtech 9 function 33 auto range digital multimeter. Neat toy! I checked my freshly charged 18650's and they came out to 4.17 & 4.16 volts. Right where I've been reading they should be after a charge. :rolleyes: I think I'm gonna have fun as I build my confidence in handling Li-ion's. I've learned a great deal on here! lovecpf

T-3

Newly Enlightened
How much did it run you and where did you purchase it from?

$40 from The Source. They had one for $50, but it was too large for my liking and was intended for outdoor use which I wouldn't need.
It's got a real nice feel to it. The cables feel of great quality... not stiff like cheap ones. And, in low light, the tips of the contacts light up, and with the press of a button, the meter will speak the voltage out to me!!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my JetBeam RRT-1 today! I've been eager to try it out, but wanted to do some research on here first to ease my mind about handling the 18650's that came with it. I've been spending the last 2 hours reading posts on these batteries (UltraFire 18650 3000 mAh 3.7V li-ion) and the charger (WF-139), and frankly, it's scared the heck out of me!!! :faint::faint:

From what I gather, these are not the best choice batteries or charger...:confused: Or perhaps, I'm being too paranoid! I gather that when I charge them, watch for the charge light to turn green... then take them out sooner than later and wait a little bit before using them. Is it that simple?? Also, can I leave them in the light when not in use? Forgive the question(s)... I'm new to these batteries and just want to avoid injury!! :oops:

Don't get tooooo paranoid when it comes to li-ion, i have occasionally left cells in my WF139 and fallen asleep to find that sometime in the night the cells charged up. What i think is to have some common sense, dont leave cells in the charger for days on end and dont overdischarge the cells too.

I have a system where i rotate cells out of my EDC lights depending on usage and at least once a month all cells get checked out with the DMM. It's just like maintaining a car, do regular checks and its less likely things will go wrong.

I prefer single cell lights so as not to have the hassle of matching voltages but with some lights, you can't escape it like in my M1X, WF500.

Liteskr42

Newly Enlightened
I think the early WF-139 chargers had a problem with overcharge if the cells were left on. I read thru many of the same threads you probably did !!!

My Wf-139 has never overcharged a cell 123 or 18650 and I have left cells on overnite. Always right around 4.16 or 4.17 or so. You can let them "cool " for a bit after charging . I dont think I have ever had 2 cells at the exact same voltage so I dont know how people go about getting 2 "matched" cells ? Maybe buyinig 20-30 cells and finding two that match and discarding the rest? Unless matching means within a cpl 100ths of a volt which mine seem to be?

I was thinking I might get a metal coffee can though and stick the charger in there during charging just to be a little over cautious which cant hurt. I wouldnt stress about it though. Li-Ion cells are relatively safe in pairs. There are some lights on here now suing 3-8 Li-Ion cells!!!! As long as they have a protection PCB circuit you should be 98% good. If you do hit the protection on discharging in the light make sure you get them on the charger as quick as you can and get them charged back up. Also "topping off" the batts is better than always draining them.

As far as the volt meter? I have a $3.00 dollar digital from harbor Freight and it works fine and its good to check the batts just to make sure they are hitting the mark so to speak.

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Just got my JetBeam RRT-1 today! I've been eager to try it out, ......... I've been spending the last 2 hours reading posts on these batteries (UltraFire 18650 3000 mAh 3.7V li-ion) and the charger (WF-139), and frankly, it's scared the heck out of me!!!
me too!

Scared me so much that I went and ordered a wf-139 charger and AW 17670 batteries from 4sevens so I could see for myself if it was as scary in real life as it seems on the internet.

I've got a stack of multimeters for working on cars and machinery and other htings I'm not technically qualified to touch so I was right from that perspective. Just needed a 240 volt Aussie plug cord to replace the American cord that was coming wih the charger. No worries, plenty of them in a box in the garage too it turns out.

Anyway, the batteries and charger arrived today and I measured the voltage. Batteries were both 3.89 volts so into the charger they went. Red lights went on, sometime later the red lights turned green and I took the batteries out. When I measured them after ten minutes rest they were both 4.17 volts so I shoved one in my Quark 132-2 tube connected to my AA2 head and switched him on.

Lo and behold there was light and I haven't blown myself up.

Yet.................

Just take the usual precautions and I reckon there'll be nothing but good light ahead for you.

brianch

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply's. It makes me feel a more at ease! I'll definitely pick up a multimeter this weekend. I believe these are protected cells... they say "short circuit and over current protection" on them. I've been using li-ion 123's for my 123 Mini, and I'm sure these are not too much different, but I've got to admit... they're big and intimidating things!!! :crackup:

One other quick question... would these be similar to my Eneloops in the sense that they will hold their charge for long periods when just storing them? Or, do these need to be checked on a regular basis and charged when the reach a certain discharge level? Sorry for what is likely a newbie question, but I am a quick learner!

Lithium batteries are well known for holding their charge levels for a very long period of time. Shelf life of lithium batteries are 10+ years. because your battery is protected you won't be able to overcharge or overdischarge it. There is a circuit board built on the battery that will cut off the circuit when the battery reaches maximum voltage and minimum voltage. Of course never trust technology. Occasionally and with habit, frequently check the voltage to ensure your charger is doing its job and the battery is behaving normally.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
Last time I charged my 18650s, my WF-139 overcharged one of them to 4.23v after leaving it on for maybe 10-15 minutes after turning green. The second one continued to charge. When it turned green, the voltage was 4.21v.

I'm going to be very careful with that charger and 18650s from now on.

I don't charge 18650s nearly as often as RCR123s. This has never happened with RCR123s, they always seem to stop at 4.17v on the same charger.

droeun

Newly Enlightened
Did you get any 16340's? the RRT-1 isn't regulated on 18650.

Last edited:

T-3

Newly Enlightened
Occasionally and with habit, frequently check the voltage to ensure your charger is doing its job and the battery is behaving normally.

That's great advice, and I shall follow it... not only for my 18650's, but also for my RCR123's! :thumbsup:

Did you get any 16340's? the RRT-1 isn't regulated on 18650.

Not quite sure I understand what you mean by RRT-1 being regulated on 18650? :thinking: Every site I looked at to purchase the RRT-1 offered the bundle with the 18650's & charger, so I just assumed that these were okay to use in this light!...

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I started off using torches running on anything other than 18650's until I did a lot more research.

I finally ended up getting some AW 18650's, along with a Pila charger and a multimeter.

Like every other recommendation and great advice on this forum, look after them and all will be fine.

I also have the RRT-1 and the M1X, but I tend to use the RRT-1 as I like single cell torches more.

Regards from the land down under.

droeun

Newly Enlightened
Not quite sure I understand what you mean by RRT-1 being regulated on 18650? :thinking: Every site I looked at to purchase the RRT-1 offered the bundle with the 18650's & charger, so I just assumed that these were okay to use in this light!...

Regulation means the light will maintain constant brightness & never get dim, even when the batteries are low on juice. An 18650 will work but with diminishing output over time. It needs the voltage from two cells (CR123A, RCR123A) to maintain the brightness. The only downside is reduced runtime (1hr w/2 16340's regulated vs at least 1.5 hours + diminishing output on one 18650).

T-3

Newly Enlightened
Regulation means the light will maintain constant brightness & never get dim, even when the batteries are low on juice. An 18650 will work but with diminishing output over time. It needs the voltage from two cells (CR123A, RCR123A) to maintain the brightness. The only downside is reduced runtime (1hr w/2 16340's regulated vs at least 1.5 hours + diminishing output on one 18650).

Thank you for educating me on that! I had no idea... but then again, I just started collecting in December!! Gotta learn as I go! Let me ask you something else... can I use two RCR123A's in place of one 18650 in order to achieve regulation?? :rolleyes:

droeun

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for educating me on that! I had no idea... but then again, I just started collecting in December!! Gotta learn as I go! Let me ask you something else... can I use two RCR123A's in place of one 18650 in order to achieve regulation?? :rolleyes:

Yeah, most lights that can accept both CR123A's & 18650's will only regulate when using 2 cells, while some others will ONLY accept and regulate a single 18650. There have been some around here lately that will regulate both (M21 Warrior & a few EagleTacs). AW cells are pretty popular around here, you can get them from the marketplace but I usually get mine from lighthound.

Last edited: