Fourth of July was a great LS time

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Wayne_

Newly Enlightened
I visited some friends out in the country for the Fourth and a bunch of use went to the local fireworks display. It was much more fun than packing like sardines onto the Mall in DC! Plus it was dark enough that it was good test of the new LS.

The more I use the LS, the more I am just amazed at the "flashlightness" of its beam: a great balance between throw and spill, with a nice transition between the two.

I was initially quite leery of a 2 hour runtime with the default 123 back so I got the 2AA back as well. Two observations since having it: 1) Two hours is a long time unless you're taking a couple hour hike with it in the woods, and 2) CR123's cost $8+ at places like Radio Shack, but you can get them from SureFire for $1.80, delivered, by the dozen.

I was also slightly worried by remarks about the click switch, but have so far found it to be solid. I didn't think I'd use the half-press momentary light much but have found I use it a LOT when on a walk around our suburban block.

I think I'll save my pennies for the new 3W model. And I'll definitely have to save as I guess it's going to cost a fortune!

Zeppert

Enlightened
Wayne when is the new 3W comin' out? I'm sure Peter said when, but I just missed it.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We went and saw the show in Tempe. There must have been a million people there. We walked for over a mile from where we parked to the show. But we had a great view!

We were supposed to meet some friends there but the traffic was so bad we all got badly seperated. We used cell phones to get in the general area but there were just so many people! Finally, I flashed my LS around in an circle for a couple of seconds and they spotted it (from about 500 ft away in a crowd). Once they saw the light, they were able to give us better directions over the phone as we were soon together as a group.

After the show, someone in a nearby group lost a piece of jewelry in the grass. They were using their cigarette lighters to try to find it! I went over ("flashlight hero") /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and helped them look. Didn't find it though.

I hope everyone else had a great 4th!

Peter

_Wayne_

Newly Enlightened
I just used "3W" instead of the LS5 (I think it is) which is a 5W under-driven at 3W if I remember correctly. So I assume it'll be out this winter.

_Wayne_

Newly Enlightened
Peter,

This small-town show was cool. There were hundreds (thousands maybe) of cars, but we were basically able to park in the field then walk 100 feet or so to the end of the row of cars and set up for the fireworks. The launch site was only about 1/3-mile away by my calculations from the sight/sound delay.

We hung out for about an hour afterwards and were one of the last cars out. During this time, I was amazed at how bright the LSH-S is.

(Actually, it almost seems like it's gotten a little brighter since I first tried it. I don't know if there's any kind of "break-in" for either light or battery but it seems like it's reaching farther now. Oh, I did finally remove the protective cover. I wouldn't think that would make a visible difference, though.)

I wish the LS would fit comfortably in my pockets as an EDC and that I might have a daily use for it, but alas, that's the AAA's job. Oh well, I still take it on my nightly walk and to other things like cookouts and fireworks and since it fits completely in my hand it's carryable instead of luggable. (I'm thinking a small wrist lanyard may be in order... Hmmm...)

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh i had a great time with my Arc LS during July 4th at the beach!!! I brought three flashlights, my new Surefire L4, Arc LSHP, and UKE Light Cannon.

At the end of the night, after the fireworks, we had to clean up our "mini" camp in the dark. The Surefire L4 SURE is bright and VERY usefull for close range and long range illumination but it got VERY warm after a few minutes of use. I ended up using it only to spot things at a distance or to quickly survey the dark surroundings. The warm weather combined with the hot operating temp. of the L4 made it very uncomfortable to use after 3 or 4 minutes. Also, the "70 minute battery drain" feeling I had with my Surefire E2 was the same with my L4, so i was hesitant in using it for long periods.

I really ended up using my Arc LSH-P for the remainder of the night. I left it on for about 30-45 minutes during our cleanup. I would set it up in the back of our truck to illuminate the cab, i would prop it up to aim in a certain direction when we had to take down the tents and tables, and i had no fear in handing it off to other people because the runtime is so good, It will never fail to light up, and it's operation was simple for everyone that night.

I wouldn't consider the Arc LSH as a tactical duty light, but it sure is a great task and EDC light!

Thanks for making such a reliable and amazing flashlight!

notos&w

Enlightened
Peter, i did the same thing with my brand-spankin new LS. the baby was getting sleepy so she took him for a walk. as everyone was leaving (small town, only about 2,000 people) she saw the great beam of the LS walked up to us and said, "Guess how I found you?"

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a great time camping this weekend in the Smoky Mountains. This was my first trip with my LSH-P and it worked out great. I don't think I will ever buy another incandescent light again. For camping the LSH-P did everything I needed for a camping light. I was a little concerned about the throw starting out but the light has more then enough. I still can't believe the quality difference in the beam compared to the narrow yellowish incandescent flashlights that all of my other family members have. I'm sure it will be with me for many more trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.