Surefire 6P

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
So I think I'm going to buy a Surefire 6P. What would be the best drop-in to add for maximum brightness...prefer LED for runtime, but still want something to "wow friends". I'm not looking to spend alot on the add-on's however, prefer less than $50. Also, where is the best place to buy rechargeable CR123's and a charger?

Cosmo7809

Enlightened

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
I was looking around and getting overwhelmed...figured it would be easier to just ask! :grin2: Thanks for the help.

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
If I choose to not use rechargeables...will I still get similar output?

Niconical

Enlightened
A drop-in that is meant for 2xCR123A or 2x Rechargeable CR123A (RCR) will be just as bright on a pair of one or the other as the output is regulated. In some cases for the first minute (or few) there might be a slight increase on a pair of RCR, but nothing the eye would notice.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
not to add more problems, but if you get a 6P you will probably end up wanting it bored out later for 18650 batteries for the larger capacity, you might save some postage, time, money if you buy one that is already bored out...drop-ins...there is nowhere to start, brightness top pics seem to be MCE, triple XRE, the P7, SST-50, and SST-90. But the Malkoff M60 as suggested earlier is a good baseline choice for brightness... and wildly bright to non-flashaholics. The more exotic LEDs like the SST-90 will give you unbelievable amounts of light at a cost to your wallet, battery life, and heat, but anything rated at 200 lumens should suit your needs (but not your wants!) my .02

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted in Incan section had me puzzled for a minute. I didn't check the links - but Electron Guru (may be one word) also sells the 6P (bored or not) with a mcclicky in the tail. While "twistys" are more reliable - if you're not using it in an area that is potentially life threatening I would highly recommend going with a surefire clicky or a tail converted to a clicky (I have netkidz clickies & AW 3 level soft start clickies in my tails, as well as 2 surefire clickies) - I don't think I have any twisties left, in fact I have 2 netkidz clickies stored away.

Dez

Newly Enlightened
I got my Lumens Factory D26 3 mode (http://www.lumensfactory.com/cart.php?cat_id=2&sub_cat_id=7) for my C2 a few weeks ago and I am really happy with it.

I checked yesterday and I can illuminate a person 300 meters away.
That was a lot more than I ever thought I could get out from it and considering the nice service I will always recommend them.
Will deliver a wow factor for sure.

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
Wow..thanks for all the responses. Sounds like the easiest is to go with the Malkoff M60. How does the 3 mode work with a standard tail cap? I assume that is where you have to get a clicky tailcap?

Dez,
Which 3 mode did you get? The one rated at 6V - 13V?

Sorry if my questions seems stupid...I just haven't played much with flashlights.

Dez

Newly Enlightened
Wow..thanks for all the responses. Sounds like the easiest is to go with the Malkoff M60. How does the 3 mode work with a standard tail cap? I assume that is where you have to get a clicky tailcap?

Dez,
Which 3 mode did you get? The one rated at 6V - 13V?

Sorry if my questions seems stupid...I just haven't played much with flashlights.

I got the 6-13V. The modes are changed by turn it on, then off and quickly on again for the higher and again for the highest and back to low again.
If you keep it on for a few seconds it will be remembered so it comes on again next time you turn it on.
I use the normal twistie tailcap and I´m happy with that.

The only issue I had with the LED was that the low was a little too bright. I was hoping for something really really low but its actually pretty bright and I use that more than any other mode (except for the showoffing:nana:)
I live in a harbor and a 35ft yacht had fell over. I used the low and could watch it really clear from about 15m with the low.
I might get a redfilter for it just to dull it even more. Just have to find one that is not SureFire-expensive! =)

And 3000 minutes runtime with 2 CR123 (according to LF) is pretty good.

Last edited:

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll have to look hard at the Lumens Factory drop-in. I like that you can change the mode just by depressing the tail switch on and off again, switches similar to my Fenix PD30.

DM51

Flashaholic
The topic is LED drop-ins, so it doesn't really belong in the Incan section. I'm moving it to LED Flashlights.

fishx65

Enlightened
not to add more problems, but if you get a 6P you will probably end up wanting it bored out later for 18650 batteries for the larger capacity, you might save some postage, time, money if you buy one that is already bored out...drop-ins...there is nowhere to start, brightness top pics seem to be MCE, triple XRE, the P7, SST-50, and SST-90. But the Malkoff M60 as suggested earlier is a good baseline choice for brightness... and wildly bright to non-flashaholics. The more exotic LEDs like the SST-90 will give you unbelievable amounts of light at a cost to your wallet, battery life, and heat, but anything rated at 200 lumens should suit your needs (but not your wants!) my .02

I agree, starting with a bored 6P is a great idea. My 6P sat around for about 12 years untill I bored it for 18650s. It is now my most used torch. A pair of decent 18650s and charger will only run around $17.00. Wish I would have made the 18650 switch a long time ago!!!!