Help me choose: Jetbeam RRT-2 or JET-III M

linterno

Enlightened
I am moving from cheap to better quality flashlights and I liked Jetbeam ones.

I am going to buy Jetbeam M1X with extension tube (or should I wait until Jetbeam SST-50 version is available) and additionally deciding between RRT-2 and JET-III Military.

Your help is appreciated.

bdancer

Newly Enlightened
I compared the III M and the RRT-2 as well, and picked the RRT-2. I liked the RRT-2 better because of the user interface and because it seemed to have better regulation for 18650 according to the reviews I saw (I'm not really interested in CR123s).

One thing I didn't know about the RRT-2 when I got it is how bright the low setting is (it's no reading light, that's for sure). So if you want a truly low low, get the III M, because it's got IBS.

I love my RRT-2 though, it's a fantastic thrower. Good luck with the decision.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The jet-III has the advantage of the IBS... that means more to some than it does to others.

It also has a pocket clip.

It all comes down to preferences.

brianch

Enlightened
Do the CPF thing and buy all three plus the upcoming SST-50 model. I was deciding between the M1X and RRT-1 and couldn't come to a personal decision so I purchased both. I also have the JET III M and have played with the RRT-2. I personally prefer the JET III M

JML

Enlightened
I have the Military and the Jet III ST (I have the now-discontinued version with the Military's IBS-based 2-mode setup) -- and the III ST is my favorite light. But I'm looking at getting an RRT-2...

The real problem with the JetBeam lights is that once you buy one, you want more. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

pobox1475

Enlightened
I have a Raptor 2 and find no faults what-so-ever with it. I want a M and if I could only get one it would be the M. Selector ring is nice on RRT but I would sacrifice it and a little output to have the smaller lighter form factor with same size head. IMO a clip on 2 would not be wise. Feel it is too heavy for one and best holster carried.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real problem with the JetBeam lights is that once you buy one, you want more. :thumbsup:

+1 on that, lost a Jet I Mk IIx, own Jet I Pro v2.0, Jet II Pro IBS, Jet III Pro ST and M1X (warm). The interface of the M1X would be the same as a Jet III M (tighten head for max, loosen for IBS programmable) whereas the RRT uses the control ring which has its own advantages as you can switch modes without having to program.

It all boils down to what you like and what you're likely to be using it for.

Newly Enlightened
I got a RRT-2 and the Jet-iii pro ST. Both are awesome lights.

I didn't like the M because it is a 2 mode light where to access the 2nd mode you have to loosen the head, I don't like that functionality.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-2 is more of a thrower than the Jet-III M, which is more universal thanks to IBS. I got the titanium Jet-III M, but I guess it's the same than the stock one speaking of beam.

I never compared the beams, to my feelings, the RRT-2 has the tinier hotspot and the less spill, so it should throw the most. The selection ring maybe great, but has some inconviences as well. Its action is too easy, the clikcs not stiff enough, you easily jump modes. Then, it works just the other way round that I'm used, from left to right : high-medium-low-strobe standby. Imagine how big the chance is, that you turn from low to strobe? As a thrower, I leave mine on high, normally that's the mode I want to use and I'll turn the right way to step down...

Nothing to say about the IBS : High mode with tightened head, programmable mode with head loose. Easy...

I would also say that the Jet-III M is the more rugged light, thicker walls (if it's true for the stock version as well) and the weak part of the RRT-2 is the selection ring.

Why not get an RRT-0 as second light??? :devil:

linterno

Enlightened
Thanks you all for your advices.

I am going to read more about Jet-III M and RRT-2 before deciding. I like Jet-III M.

I would like to buy all of them but no money in my wallet.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, and like them equally for different reasons. Like someone above said....

That is the real fact of the matter. JETBeam makes a great product, and it is very hard to choose just one. My solution is to buy them all. The only one I don't have yet is the M1X....but I will :devil:

Just adhere to the CPF motto..."Buy Both". You'll be glad you did. :thumbsup:

JBFamilyLCWP2.jpg

pobox1475

Enlightened
Its action is too easy, the clikcs not stiff enough, you easily jump modes. Then, it works just the other way round that I'm used, from left to right : high-medium-low-strobe standby. Imagine how big the chance is, that you turn from low to strobe? As a thrower, I leave mine on high, normally that's the mode I want to use and I'll turn the right way to step down...
My feeling's are about opposites. The ring's action is fine and would not like it stiffer. Got used to the adjustment sequence quickly and keep mine on low for initial start up indoors but will probably leave it on high as it becomes used more often in the field. Have not hit strobe inadvertently yet and if I did bump a level by mistake I will still have some form of illumination because I would not be in strobe. I use mine as an outdoor light and as soon as Maxpedition has their 5" tube sheaths available in FG it will be belt carried. As a duty light or all-arounder the M is a better choice IMHO.

The only one I don't have yet is the M1X....but I will
Even without it that family is not lacking in the least...