Looking for slim tube light that uses 18650s

Hawaiian Fire

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new EDC that uses 18650 batteries. I would like a torch that has the profile like the Jet III SL or Lumapower EncoRE or Signature. It seems to me that for this torch profile, heat-sinking is an issue and a focused, throwy beam is not required. I am no expert, but is seems to me that the ideal led would be an XP-G. Are there any slim tube lights out there that use the XP-G led and 18650 battery. I would welcome your input. Thanks.

Hawaiian Fire

Newly Enlightened
NutSAK,

Thanks for the reply. The Quark Regular or Tactical 123^2 with the 18650 tube is a good recommendation. I just am not too thrilled with having to buy a flashlight and then immediately remove part of it and install a different part. I wish that I could buy a light already optimized for a 3.7V 18650 battery. On a side note directed to anyone who knows, does the 18650 tube seem tight in the Quark 123^2 holster?

Any other suggestions, either available now or in a few months? Perhaps I should wait and see if anything is unveiled at the January Shot show.

Hawaiian Fire

Newly Enlightened
jhc37013,

Thank you for the response. I don't necessarily want the smallest 18650 light, but I do want a quality, compact light. I am looking for a light that I can wear while on duty that is roughly the size of my Leatherman knife. I have found that torches with the P60 head style too large for my taste.

I noticed that you have a JET III ST, Quark 123^2 tactical and a Fenix P3D in your collection. How do these lights compare in terms of build quality and performance? I have a P3D (Q5) that I currently carry and am looking for a light that has a bit more battery and lumen capacity.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
jhc37013,

Thank you for the response. I don't necessarily want the smallest 18650 light, but I do want a quality, compact light. I am looking for a light that I can wear while on duty that is roughly the size of my Leatherman knife. I have found that torches with the P60 head style too large for my taste.

I noticed that you have a JET III ST, Quark 123^2 tactical and a Fenix P3D in your collection. How do these lights compare in terms of build quality and performance? I have a P3D (Q5) that I currently carry and am looking for a light that has a bit more battery and lumen capacity.

The Jetbeam is easily the best in quality better than any other Chinese light manufacturer as far as I can tell. The newer Fenix lights have better build quality since the P3D, the PD30+ is a big step forward with better threads and knurling. I like the quality of the new Fenix slightly better then quark but they are very close.

The problem with the Jet III St is the IBS UI if you press the switch to fast 3 times in a row you will go into program mode not good for a duty light.

You may want to look into the Jet-III M its a dual mode with one programmable mode looses and tighten bezel to change modes. The loose mode can be programed. I don't have one but I have heard of many police and other's use it on duty and really like it. Hope that helps if you get stuck on either a Fenix or Quark I can go into more detail about the outputs because right now their is a couple different emitters for each brand R2,R5 and R4.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run the Quark tactical on 18650 and also use a Jet-III M--both regularly. While the build quality of the JetBeam is indeed fantastic, it also suffers from the same problem you mentioned with the Jet III St. If you leave the Jet-III M on the "loose" mode, and press the momentary 3 times quickly, you will be in program mode. That is not a problem with the Quark. The Quark has more limited modes to choose from of course, but you'll never accidentally find yourself in program mode in any type of normal use.

They're both excellent lights IMO, I just wanted to point that out...

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the 1st generation Jet III Pro ST, the version that uses 18650s exclusively. Have zero complaints with this light, it's tough and very handy to use. I tested runtime on mine by dunking it and leaving it on (in fact the picture in my avatar is that of the Jet III during the test)

My Jet III comes equipped with a forward clicky (i.e. 1/2 press to activate momentarily, full click for constant on). I can see the point where, if the switch is 1/2 pressed 3 times in quick succession, the light will enter programming mode but honestly i dont think that will happen a lot.

The Jet III has 3 modes, each of which is individually programmable to an output of your choice, which includes strobe (frequency is also programmable), SOS, beacon etc. So if you've figured out your lighting needs for the shift, e.g. if conducting traffic stops/checks, 1st mode on MAX, 2nd mode low etc, then the chances of accidentally entering programming mode would be minimised.

I'd say go check out the Jet IIII, if it doesnt suit you, at least you will know you tried it and it'll sell pretty easily on the marketplace if one of your brother officers doesnt grab it first.

Hawaiian Fire

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback. At this point I am leaning toward a Quark. It has the features that I desire (18650 battery & XP-G led) with acceptable quality. I want to stay away from pure twistys.

Quark: w/ 18650 battery tube, XP-G led, 2 programmable levels (others fixed), turn on in either level, acceptable quality

JET III ST: 18650 battery, XR-E led, potential issue with program mode, high quality

L-mini: 18650 battery, XR-E led, questionable quality

FENIX: no 18650 battery, XP-G led, acceptable quality

Lumapower: 18650 battery, XR-E led, acceptable quality, output not as high as others.

Koevoet

Newly Enlightened
Hi man,i was looking for the same light as you are,i chose for the Dereelight Cl1 V4 with a 18650 powersource. you can read my topic about it https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/257030

Here's a pic
cl1h-v4.jpg.jpg

light beamshot
IMG_0038_processed-400.jpg

amigafan2003

Enlightened
L-mini: 18650 battery, XR-E led, questionable quality
Where did you get the "questionable quality" statement from?

Build quality on mine is fine and I'm very happy with it - it's been on my mountain bike for about 400 off road miles with mud, water ice and snow thrown at it and still going strong.

Last edited:

Hawaiian Fire

Newly Enlightened
amigafan2003,

Here are some statements from other members. I don't personally have a L-mini so I won't say that they are of poor or substandard quality. i just said 'questionable'.

1) so negatives: greenish yellow tint on low, sharp lanyard holes, no pocket clip.. umm.. cant think other things at the moment.
2) My only quibble would be the threads are micro fine... which makes them more fragile than large square cut threads some other lights have... makes them easier to strip... just exercise greater care when assembling.
3) The only issue I have with mine is that the anodizing does not lock out the light when the tailcap is loosened. There must be some sort of bare spot somewhere, since it can be turned on even with the tailcap loosened all the way. Anodizing is non conductive, so this should not be happening if the whole threads are coated.

That being said, I sent and E-mail to 4sevens asking if the output from a Quark 123^2 R5 Tactical with the 18650 battery tube would have the same output as when using CR123 batteries and here is the reply I got:
"Thank you for your interest in our lights. The outputs stay the same
with the rechargeables and only runtime is affected. You cannot use
the 18650 cell with that light as the voltage is too low. Your
runtimes will be very very short with it. Regards, Trevor"

I asked about runtimes with the 18650 tube on a Quark 123 R5 and have not heard back yet. Either way, it is a bummer for me because I think the OTF lumens will drop from 230 to 206, and now I will have to buy a separate holster to use with the 18650 battery tube.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the MG Mini II is above questionable quality Its right there with the Fenix. Yes it does have fine threads but I heard they was working on that, also it type III HA with nice knurling and the reverse clicky is the best I own.

I have never had any problems with it.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I have both the MG L-Mini II and the Jetbeam JET-III Pro BVC and I can certainly vouch for the L-Mini. There is no questionable quality with the L-Mini at all. I also have the MG PLI which uses 18650 batteries as well and it's not too much bigger than the L-Mini.

The Jet-III has definitely no quality issues at all, and I haven't really encountered the '3 clicks and your in programmable mode' problem. I set the levels when I first received the Jet-III and now 90% of the time I only ever use the same output level with this one.

Hope this helps if your quest for a new torch, but if the researching is getting in the way of purchasing a torch, then follow what seems to be the forum motto, 'when in doubt, buy both'!

Regards,
bedazzLED

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Mini II may suffer from one of it's most attractive quality's and thats the price. I think some people may see it as less then good quality due to it's inexpensive cost.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either way, it is a bummer for me because I think the OTF lumens will drop from 230 to 206

Your eyes will not notice a difference between 206 and 230 if i remember correctly. Something to do with how our eyes perceive light. Somebody more scientifically inclined will be able to explain it better than me.

Also, don't over analyze your choices, unless you custom build one to your specifications, it's going to be difficult to get the 'perfect' light. As stated, i own the Jet III and so far have not accidentally entered programming mode. With the reverse clicky, it might be easier to enter programming mode as you can do 3 half presses very quickly but with a forward clicky, once the light is activated to constant on, to change modes you have to click off and click on again. It's a bit hard to explain but suffice it to say, with a forward clicky, it is much harder to inadvertently enter programming mode.

I also just received my MG PLI MC-E warm, its a lovely tint and the build of the light is also very decent for its price point (already dropped it once from about 4.5 ft to tiled floor)

vaughnsphotoart

Newly Enlightened
I suggest the Mini II. I got one several months ago and love it. In that size and battery config, it gets my vote.

It's funny, I seldom have problems with accidentally getting into programming mode with my Jetbeams, but my kids seem to find it every time. Nothing like picking up your light and finding you have one ultra-low and two strobes. :thinking:

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened
I think you would be much happier with a quark low voltage head instead of a 123X2 head. being as you are going to use a single 18650 it will stay in regulation alot longer.

Hawaiian Fire

Newly Enlightened
Flashaholics,

Thank you for your responses. I think that that Quark 123-3 R5 Regular is the best choice for me. I plan on buying the 18650 tube and batteries a little down the road. A thead in CPFMarketplace stated that the 123-2/18650 combo is a little brighter initially (than CR123s), drops out of regulation a bit sooner and then runs direct drive for a long time. That pretty much sounds ideal to me.

Does the Quark w/ 18650 tube fit in the 123-2 case OK? I read a thread in CPFMarketplace that the 2-piece 18650 tube was a little longer.

Sorry if it appears to some that I overanalyze this. Being in the fire department means having lots of time but little money. Whereas I would love to buy more lights, my wife and mortgage say otherwise. She thinks I am addicted and I pretty much only read the forums (I have a few lights but nothing to brag about). Wish I could introduce her to a real Flashaholic to put things in perspective.:)