Quark 123-2, R5

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the 123x2 R5 tactical.

and its my favorite light, with the zebralight h501 coming in a close 2nd.

i love this light! compact, bright, useful beam, lightweight, good clip, good knurling, good switch, good warranty, good holster.

it has a wide hotspot and wide spill, but it throws surprising well. its really great at medium and close range.

i use it on max usually, and it doesnt get hot compared to the fenix pd30. i feel very comfortable using it on max for 30 minutes.

it does have preflash, but its never really bothered me.

i highly recommend this light.

duboost

Enlightened
What is the difference between the regular and tactical models?
Well the main difference is the UI which is explained in detail on 4seven's site. Basically, the regular allows you to access all the modes via tightening or loosening the head then cycling through the modes with the switch, while the tactical lets u program two modes (1 for the head tightened and one for the head loosened) and if you wanted to access the others you'd have to reprogram it. The regular also comes with a reverse clicky and is able to tailstand, while the tactical comes with a forward clicky allowing for momentary operation but is unable to tailstand.

Salamander1

Newly Enlightened
Well the main difference is the UI which is explained in detail on 4seven's site. Basically, the regular allows you to access all the modes via tightening or loosening the head then cycling through the modes with the switch, while the tactical lets u program two modes (1 for the head tightened and one for the head loosened) and if you wanted to access the others you'd have to reprogram it. The regular also comes with a reverse clicky and is able to tailstand, while the tactical comes with a forward clicky allowing for momentary operation but is unable to tailstand.

Thanks!

spellitout

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if this flashlight ever goes on sale?

There is always an 8% sale with discount code CPF8

As for sales, the Quark 123x2 R2 is on sale right now for $58.65. It is obviously a different emitter, but I chose the R2 over the R5 not because of price but because I like the color and throw of the R2 better. I have a 123x2 turbo and 123x2 R2. I ended up purchasing the R2 and gave the turbo to my father for Christmas because I didn't care for the greenish tint the R5 had.

The 123x2 R5 is brighter, but the 123x2 R2 will throw light farther.

By the way, Welcome to Candle Power Forms.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 123-2 Ti, which is the same thing but with a titanium body. It's a great flashlight - solid, bright, small, and a great UI. I prefer the tactical UI because mode switching is not done via the switch, and it has momentary on. While it is very bright, the throw isn't what you'd get out of modern XR-E or XP-E flashlights - it's good, but you can get a lot more in a light only a little larger.

arbiker501

Newly Enlightened
Wow ,

Sounds like a great light for me. I have one on order. It might be to big for edc but it sure looks like a great all around light.

I have only had cheap lights and decided to sell them off and get one GOOD light.. I think i can use this for hunting, camping and on the front of my road bike.. Not to sure how it will do as a bike light . I need to get the 17670 i guss instead of cr123s but i am very excited.

I had a aa r2 quark for about a day .. That was long enough for me to know These are awsome lights for me at least. I just wanted a bit more on the spot for road biking.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently was delayed on a ride til after dark and lashed my mini123 to my bars and its plenty bright even on med for the road!

FenixFire

Newly Enlightened
i have the 123x2 R5 tactical.

and its my favorite light, with the zebralight h501 coming in a close 2nd.

i love this light! compact, bright, useful beam, lightweight, good clip, good knurling, good switch, good warranty, good holster.

it has a wide hotspot and wide spill, but it throws surprising well. its really great at medium and close range.

i use it on max usually, and it doesnt get hot compared to the fenix pd30. i feel very comfortable using it on max for 30 minutes.

it does have preflash, but its never really bothered me.

i highly recommend this light.
I noticed in your sig that you have the M20. How does this 123x2 compare to it? In terms of brightness, throw, and spill.

Larbo

Enlightened
I have the Ti version of that torch and I cant imagine anyone not being happy with the brightness and looks of it. :thumbsup:

:welcome:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I have yet to see any beamshots anywhere of the Quark 123-2 R5 (not the turbo version).

I myself am wondering what the throw is like on this light. Obviously due to the larger size emitter it won't throw as far as the R2, but it still must have decent throw...?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed in your sig that you have the M20. How does this 123x2 compare to it? In terms of brightness, throw, and spill.

alot of times at work i have the M20 R2 and quark 123-2 R5 on me, and my zebralight:devil: what can i say, i love my lights

the quark does not throw as well, it has a wider hotspot. i actually feel the quark is brighter overall, but it covers a bigger area so its tricky to tell. (to some more casual people : throw = brightness. but not me.)

the spill on the quark is wider, but dimmer than the m20. i find it more useful at close to medium range. up to about 50-60 feet.

the quark R5 throws surprisingly well. it does have its range limit though. because of the bigger hotspot, that also gets really big the further it goes. and much less noticeable, but it throws well enough for my use. which is 70 feet max.

at around 1-30 feet its alot more useful than the m20.

mine does have a very slight greenish tint in it outisde of the hotspot. but its not enough to irratate me or even notice. and towards the outer area of its spill it get a little bit purplish, also not enough to irratate. and can only notice if your looking for it.
the m20 on the other hand has a beautiful tint, white on max, and gets yellower(warmer) as you lower the output.

i always check my batteries with a volt-meter, and the m20 does have better runtimes.

i like my quark more mainly because of its size,and form factor, ive dropped my m20 many times, but for some reason never dropped my quark. it feels really comfortable in my hands and pocket. i perfer it over the fenix pd30 in every way except the cosmetic looks. but im more about performance.:)

if you want anymore info, ill be glad to share.

FenixFire

Newly Enlightened
^^^thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure if I want to purchase the 123-2. I have the M20 and Tk11 R2. It seems like the Quark falls in the same category :(

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure if I want to purchase the 123-2. I have the M20 and Tk11 R2. It seems like the Quark falls in the same category :(

they do kind of, but its smaller. the bigger head of the m20 or tk11 can make better use of the light, especailly for thow.

my m20 is my biggest light(i like the small more petite lights):D
even though i know the m20 really isnt big, its not comfortable in my front pocket. so if i were to get another light of that size or bigger id go for a MC-E or sst light. ie jetbeam m1x:D

Gymratz

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had issues ordering from 4Sevens before?
Last week they had a big notice that the R5 would ship on 1/15/2010.
1/15/2010 came along and my status got changed to "Back Ordered."
I e-mailed for an explanation and received no response from 4sevens - sent a second e-mail today and still no response.

I only recently got introduced to awesome lights (with a low end SureFire). After much reading on Candle Power Forums, I decided my next light just had to be the Quark 123-2... The lack of my item shipping on-time (and worse yet, the lack of any response from the company) is putting me off at this point.

I want my light! :)

FenixFire

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've got 2 mini's (one neutral and another cool) for deep pocket carry. Then I have the M20, TK11 R2, and Surefire G2L for medium size tactical. My bigger flashlights are the TK30 and a modded 2D maglite with the Malkoff drop-in, and UCL lens. I was hoping the 123-2 would be in between my medium size and mini's but it seems too similar to my medium sized flashlights to justify the purchase.

I received my first flashlight this xmas so I still only have a small collection I hope to build some :eek:. I am debating whether to get a Jetbeam RRT-1 or Quark 123-2. I know they are very different flashlights so I'm not comparing them. Just seeing how they would fit my collection. I'll probably end up getting both :sssh:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
my 2 cents:
you may want to consider Quark 123² Turbo too. betwen Quark 123² and Quark 123² Turbo, the Turbo has a better build and has a more solid feel to it IMO. :thumbsup:

Salamander1

Newly Enlightened
my 2 cents:
you may want to consider Quark 123² Turbo too. betwen Quark 123² and Quark 123² Turbo, the Turbo has a better build and has a more solid feel to it IMO. :thumbsup:

Has anyone else compared the Quark 123-2 turbo to the 123-2 R5?