Glad I had three lights on me the other night

LightToad

Newly Enlightened
...three lights on me the other night. Rock climbing with a buddy in Colorado on an "easy" dome climb. Well, I had trouble with one overhang section and before you know it we were in pitch black, 200 feet up, trying to work our way off the face to the down climb section in 20 degree weather falling fast. Fortunately we had the right gear but I "only" had three lights on me and darn--none of them headlamps. So, my buddy, with my AAA ITP in his mouth sets anchors across the face in pitch black, dodging snow and ice spots, me with my LM31 in mouth clearing across the face to a point where we "speculate on the best way down" and it's still 20 degrees and the temp is falling fast. The LM31 can barely squirt it's light down the face enough to make out an escape route far below. So we set a good anchor in the crack we're hanging on, I get belayed down 160 feet, right at the end of the rope, to a scramble off area, and holy cow I'm so happy. My buddy heads down and 10' down his self-belay the ITP regulates off to pitch black. So down he comes in the dark with my LM31 lighting barely from below. He's down, but ropes won't pull down from the anchor up top so down we walk--ropeless hoping it's navigable. Now I give him the LM31, I take out my Micra Photon Freedom, back in my mouth, and down we scramble through the snow to the bottom, leaving gear, ropes and pride on the rocks. We got it all back the next day but left a smear of pride on the rocks. Other than normal lesson learned I now commit to pack a headlamp, a long-distance thrower, backup and buddy lights with plenty of batts. My buddy was mucho happy I brought so many lights that night and the motto three is one and two is none now rings clear. Also learning the advantage of non-regulated lights for mission-critical applications. Take care and pack extra....

Last edited by a moderator:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Glad I had

good story, glad that no one was hurt and that you got all your gear back sans a bit of pride. Thankfully the tired cliche of "Pride comes before the fall" didnt come true.

Zebralight makes some pretty nice headlamps if you're interested, the Fenix one looks interesting too but 4xAA seems a bit heavy for me.

Ian2381

Enlightened
That's why I usually take more than 3 lights with me, 3 lights for me and the rest for my buddies.:thumbsup:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad everyone was okay!

Nothing like being in a 'holy sh!t' situation to reinforce some of the things you know to be true, but may just decide to overlook for whatever reason. My moment of clarity came when I was out night diving and my light cut out. Very creepy feeling being in the water and not being able to see your hand in front of your face. Swam over to my partner, and we went in. Ironically I had a backup. It was in the truck!

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of curiosity, why don't you take a headlamp? I always have one when I'm backpacking, there's one in my car and one in each survival kit. I consider a flashlight to be a secondary tool. A headlamp seems to make even more sense when you're involved in an activity that requires both hands to be busy.

c_c

jslappa

Enlightened
OP sounds like a pretty smart guy, and he has already eluded to the fact that he'll start packing a headlamp from now on. Lesson learned, and thanks for the story.

Coalman

Newly Enlightened
Good story. After loaning, dropping or draining seven flashlights, it was by the light of a coleman lantern that myself and two friends walked out of an unnamed lava tube we thought "couldn't be that long."

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
It's like someone asking "Why do you carry so many high capacity magazines for your handgun?"

Have you ever heard anyone say, "Wow, I'm glad I didn't have any more rounds of ammo on me?"

Have you ever heard anyone say, "Wow, I'm glad I didn't have any more flashlights or batteries on me?"

mdocod

Flashaholic
Great story and a great reason to carry plenty of lights. I usually have 2-3 on me even in totally non-critical situations, with several more in the car.

Headlamps are absolutely amazing in those critical situations. I would suggest a darn good one and a backup that is built well (but doesn't have to be fancy or expensive.)

-Eric