Finding the Perfect 700 Lumen Flashlight - Not Easy

Chroma

Newly Enlightened
In my quest for a 700 lumen perfect light, I have been going in circles. After reviewing this forum for most MC-E models, I thought I found a light that seems to fit my needs (Tiablo ACE-G), after hours of reading, I realize it's kind of too big for my needs, so I keep searching for something smaller.

And then I find the Olight M30 Triton thinking that it is the perfect size and specs and then I read about the visible PWM issues. It's very disappointing to find the light of your dreams and then find it has this small issue that is very difficult to overlook.

Anyhow...

I'm not complaining per se, just starting to realize that maybe there is no "perfect light" because what one man wants, another doesn't. I know I'm just venting right now but I guess I might as well ask while I have your attention.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a 700 lumen light, MSRP of 150 or less, about as small as a Olight M30 Triton but with no PWM issues? Oh yeah, a high and low mode would be nice.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi Chroma.

As bigchelis mentioned, I'm also looking at the fantastic EDC MC-E, but there is another light you might want to have a closer look at.

I don't know about perfect, but when it comes to getting a great light, with great output and at a great price, I suggest you have a look at the MG PLI at shiningbeam.com.

I have two of these lights and they are a reasonable size, run off a single 18650 battery or 2 CR123A's, the construction is great. More of a floody beam, but it lights up my back yard when I need to find my yapping dog at 2AM!

The only problem is catching it when it becomes available. The team at shiningbeam.com take it off their webpage when it's out of stock and advertise it when in stock, but there are plenty of reviews of the PLI here in this fantastic forum.

May not be perfect, but it's pretty close when all is said and done.

Regards,
bedazzLED

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a love or hate relationship with this particular light but I vote for a TK40.

Very practical using AA batteries. Very bright on 8xNiMH Eneloops and last for 2+ hours on FULL - most other 700 lumen MC-E only give you an hour. Plus 3 other Low/Med/High settings which are very practically spaced.

Beautiful beam with awesome throw and a nice flood around the spot.

I personally have never experienced the heat issues others complain of and that its leaving it on turbo with no additional cooling for an hour+ straight.

If you have an issue with AA batteries go the TK30 route with CR123 and 18650 support.

It's a love or hate relationship with this particular light but I vote for a TK40.

Very practical using AA batteries. Very bright on 8xNiMH Eneloops and last for 2+ hours on FULL - most other 700 lumen MC-E only give you an hour. Plus 3 other Low/Med/High settings which are very practically spaced.

Beautiful beam with awesome throw and a nice flood around the spot.

I personally have never experienced the heat issues others complain of and that its leaving it on turbo with no additional cooling for an hour+ straight.

If you have an issue with AA batteries go the TK30 route with CR123 and 18650 support.

+1 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

lovecpf

Chroma

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendations.

I will weigh all the options.

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend a FiveMega (CPFer) 26650 body, Solarforce P60 head (about $10 on thEbay), and a Nailbender (CPFer) SST-90 P60 dropin. Get this battery http://www.batteryspace.com/limnnirechargeable26650cell37v4000mah10arated148wh.aspx and a 3.7v charger such as a Ultrafire WF-139 and you'll be good to go. 2+ hours runtime on high, 800+ lumens, very nice beam. I'd recommend the smooth reflector.

Total cost will run you around $200.