Underwater Kinetics 2L brightness?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brock

Flashaholic
The rage is running about 2.1w and so it the UKE 2L, but the since the UKE is lithium it stays brighter for much longer. The beam is usually a bit tighter on the 2L. The SF E1 has a really tight spot and is running 2.0w, it is the smallest, less overall light, but a tighter beam so it probably throws the furthest.

For more info check out my site.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, E1's beam is so tight that it's not all that useful. The Rage's reflectors seem inconsistent -- some people's has a reasonable focus, mine has a hot spot that is probably triple the size of my 2L's, and dimmer overall because of it. I've heard of a few people who have Rages like this, though most are tighter.

Joe

paulr

Flashaholic
The 2L has a considerably tighter beam than the Rage or even the Surefire E2. The E2 has more lumen output, of course. I haven't tried an E1 so can't comment.

I tried a Rage in the store and didn't like it that much. It felt kind of oversized and awkward. I bought its little brother, the 2AAA-powered Blast, instead. I like the Blast a lot. It's got about the same output and beam width as an Arc LSL, but it weighs and costs a lot less, and you can get batteries for it anywhere.

From what I've heard, the Rage and Blast have about the same hotspot brightness, but the Rage has a wider beam, sort of like the Surefire P60/P61 situation. I didn't check that when I tried out the Rage, though.

The E1 seems like kind of a silly light to me. It's a lot more expensive than the Blast without being all that much brighter, and doesn't really weigh less than the UKE 2L though it's a bit smaller. I'd say if the Blast isn't bright enough for you, get the UKE 2L or the Surefire E2/E2e.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
The E1 seems like kind of a silly light to me. It's a lot more expensive than the Blast without being all that much brighter, and doesn't really weigh less than the UKE 2L though it's a bit smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add a KL1 and the E1 becomes much more attractive. Probably even more so when the E series clickies become available (as long as the clickie isn't much longer than the standard tailcap).

-john

brightnorm

Flashaholic
At 4 3/8" L and 2.6oz loaded, the 2L is one of the smallest and currently the lightest 2x123 incandescent presently available.

Its approx 25 lumens output is roughly equivalent to the E2E with MN02, but without the Surefire beam's smoothness.

The 2L traditionally hosted UK's bright but unpredictably beamed lamp/reflector module (same for 4AA and Q40), but has recently been equipped with the #480 lamp module which maintains excellent unit to unit consistancy. The beam from the #480 features a very bright small hotspot surrounded by a small oblong corona. Total beam diameter is small.

The 2L will give "functional" light for approx 2:45 to 3+ hrs, compared to the E2E/MN02's 2:15 - 2:30 hrs. The 2L's smooth-reflectored beam is less smooth and narrower than the E2E's textured output, but is "brighter", more penetrating and will throw further.

The 2L is waterproof and virtually unbreakable; the E2E, may be less so on both points.

The PT Rage, despite its good qualities, has a limited bright runtime which IMO makes it less desireable than other lights mentioned here.

Brightnorm

Ig

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for answers on my flashaholicly incorrect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif question.