Optimal flashlight size

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Several 1x18650 Brands......or for larger model- the new 3D Maglite with the 090 Rebel.

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
There is no such thing as optimal size in general. If there would be an optimal size for everything, there wouldn't be much diversity, if any. Its about picking the right tool for the right job. There could be an optimal size for carrying in a pocket, an optimal size for attacking to a key chain, optimal size for holding in hand and optimal size for smacking someone on the head.

So, optimal size ranges from button cells to 7D mags, even if you disregard all the limitations the sizes give you - you cant smack someone on the head with a keychain light even if it would be as bright and had the same runtime as a 7D mag. :sick2:

Its like asking what is an optimal hammer. Well the optimal hammer for driving a 10" nail into some oakwood certainly isn't optimal for watchmaking.

wingnut86

Banned
G2/6P size, anything longer with a tail switch is awkward for me. 2C with a side switch is good as well.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Size is naturally a compromise - the three lights I've EDC'd a lot:

small: SureFire E1
medium: SureFire L1
"large": SureFire C3

I guess if I had to pick the single best size for my uses, it would be the SureFire L1 size - small enough for pocket EDC but large enough for easy manipulation and good overall handling during extended use.

Last edited:

cccpull

Enlightened
This is like "which is the optimal gun size", the answer is usually the one you have with you all the time.

jefierro

Newly Enlightened
This is like "which is the optimal gun size", the answer is usually the one you have with you all the time.

1+ the best size is the one you can use.

Coleman 8D lantern for the house.
TK40 for the car.
RRT-0 for EDC.
EZAA on the keys.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Yep the one you have with you is a pretty good answer.

For me, as an EDC light and for maximum versatility the E1L (including variants like the VG FB1 body) and Novatac 120P size is about perfect. Large enough for some realistic oomph (i.e. can run on a high level for enough time to make it useful and not just a burst mode) but small enough to still be easily pocketed.

-o0(GoldTrader)0o-

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about flashlight development.
- you can't smack someone on the head with a keychain light.
Not weapon development. Would that be considered tactical?

I am a lover, not a fighter.
this is like "which is the optimal gun size".
I guess we all have many uses for a hand held, portable electric light-emitting device. Yeah, maybe you can build them big and strong enough to use it as a hammer. That does point out that a large one would need to survive hard impacts and sharp blows. So I guess at least a few of you suggest that the flashlight may evolve into a lead pipe. I thought they were large because of the battery size. With increasing efficiencies, basing the light on battery size may result in lights that are to small. I was trying to get an idea what was the next threshold limiting flashlight size.
2xCR123 The SureFire E Series are the most perfect size for me.
So that's about:
· Bezel diameter: 1.0 inch
· Length: 5.25 inches
· Weight: 3.5 ounces
the new 3D Maglite
So that's about:
· Bezel diameter: 2.1/4 inch
· Length: 12 11/32 inches
· Weight: 30.02 ounces
SureFire L1 size.
So, about:
· Bezel diameter: 1 inch
· Length: 4.52 inches
· Weight: 2.9 ounces
the one you have with you all the time.
The only thing I have with me all the time is my watch!
RRT-0 for EDC
So that's:
· Tube Diameter .81 inches
· Length: 3.82 inches
· Weight: 3.03 ounces
and ..Nitecore EZ AA on the keys.
· Bezel diameter: .65 inch
· Length: 3.3 inches
· Weight: .71 ounces on the keys
Novatac 120P size is about perfect .. easily pocketed.
· Length: 3.3 inches
· Weight: 3.1 ounces w/batt

fishx65

Enlightened
I know it's old but I always liked the way the Propoly carried. Just felt like a flashlight should.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
The optimal size is a small chip, too small to be seen with the naked eye, with many year runtime. Implant it under your finger with a few touch sensing electrodes, with a 1 -> 1 million variable lumen output and a beam width from .1 to 180 degrees. Use finger controls (i.e. tap your middle finger with two other fingers to turn on, slide up and down on the side to adjust beam width, slide up and down on the front to adjust brightness).

Or, if your not into that, one approx. the size of a button. Smaller is *always* better if cost (i.e. losing it) isn't an issue.

For those of you who want it for tactile purposes, carry a lead pipe in your pocket in case you need it, but leave the flashlight on your keyring ;)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The optimal size is a small chip, too small to be seen with the naked eye, with many year runtime. Implant it under your finger with a few touch sensing electrodes, with a 1 -> 1 million variable lumen output and a beam width from .1 to 180 degrees. Use finger controls (i.e. tap your middle finger with two other fingers to turn on, slide up and down on the side to adjust beam width, slide up and down on the front to adjust brightness).

So is this Surefire or Fenix and what is the price, any reviews yet? Pics maybe?

joshconsulting

Enlightened
So is this Surefire or Fenix and what is the price, any reviews yet? Pics maybe?
Some day you will be able to make them shoot a hundred yards and last all day.
Get back to me in 30 years, either nanotechnology will have revolutionized and shrunk everything we use in day-to day life, or we'll be a small, primitive colony inhabiting a distant planet after earth was destroyed by giant asteroid\earthquake\volcano\nuclear holocaust\global warming or whatever your favorite theory is.

Or we could just continue slowly evolving, with things not all that different 30 years from now aside from the usual hairstyle and fashion changes :sick:

Either way, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is no such thing as 'too small'. Would you mount a CR123 into a Maglight and fill the empty space with lead because you like the form factor? Of course not, everything else being equal smaller is always better, up to the point where it isn't a flashlight and is a standard part of our body.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either my 6P or E2DL, depending on the day. No other lights have really made me happy to use.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either my 6P or E2DL, depending on the day. No other lights have really made me happy to use.

I agree the E2DL is about perfect it is about the max size I would prefer to carry EDC. I spent way to much money finding a light I am REALLY happy with now I'm scared to think what I will spend trying to duplicate or better the E2DL results, if it is even possible.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best size flashlight for me is the size of an Arc AAA (approx. 2-3/4" long and 3/8" diameter). I carry several items in addition to a flashlight and want to carry even more. Therefore, the size and weight of each item is important.

This flashlight should emit at least 50 lumens and have a runtime of at least 4 hours using an AAA-size NiMH or E2 lithium battery while maintaining constant light output. It must remain cool to the touch after prolonged periods of use.

I am waiting for technology to catch up to these requirements.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the optimal flashlight size is 2 123A/ 1 17670. This actually has a little bit of a range. No thinner than a Fenix PD30, no larger than a Surefire 6PL, and no fatter than an Inova T1. All three of these lights are within the optimal flashlight size. Basically, a good fit in the hand and slightly longer than a closed fist. Must be able to fit in pants pockets, either front or back. Must not be too long that if you use a holster, it can accidentally be turned on when you sit down. This size packs enough power that a good multilevel flashlight can easily run all night at a setting bright enough to comfortably see down an unfamiliar trail.