Pocket Clip for a Malkoff MD2

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I have decided that I want to EDC my MD2 w/M30 but I want to clip it to my pants bezel down. So who has been through this and knows which clip is best.

My plan is to drill & tap threads at the rear of the light near the edge by the button. Any input would be good except for suggestions for a different EDC light. I am set on Malkoff & 18650 cells.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that the flexible fabric holsters that they sell for a Surefire 6P size light works excellent for the malkoff MD2's and 3s. It does have to be carried with the bezel face up or put the holster upside down and rely on the stretch cling of the fabric to hold it if you still want it face down. But these holsters (places like lighthound dot com has them) have worked real well for me. Stuff I clip into my pocket tends to poke my leg and cause an irritation and other issues like making it hard to put anything else in there that I want to reach around the light. And of course having key sets in there where it would jangle around and scratch the optic makes it so I don't want to put anything in the same pocket and hence back to its own special holster on the belt or in the special skinny pocket of the BDU/cargo pants.

ash211

Newly Enlightened
I have found that the flexible fabric holsters that they sell for a Surefire 6P size light works excellent for the malkoff MD2's and 3s. It does have to be carried with the bezel face up or put the holster upside down and rely on the stretch cling of the fabric to hold it if you still want it face down. But these holsters (places like lighthound dot com has them) have worked real well for me. Stuff I clip into my pocket tends to poke my leg and cause an irritation and other issues like making it hard to put anything else in there that I want to reach around the light. And of course having key sets in there where it would jangle around and scratch the optic makes it so I don't want to put anything in the same pocket and hence back to its own special holster on the belt or in the special skinny pocket of the BDU/cargo pants.

I've found a way to carry my EDC 1 AA Quark that I haven't heard mentioned on this forum before that may help you. I clip it to one of my belt loops. Depending on the size/weight of your light it will sit horizontally along your belt line which won't cause it to get in the way when you sit down. This method also keeps your pockets free, is very comfortable, doesn't require buying a holster, and allows quick access to your light. As long as your light has a decent clip you don't have to worry about losing it. With my 1 AA Quark I could run a marathon and it would still be there when I'm done. Try it.

Last edited:

Viper715

Enlightened
For the size of the MD2 maybe one of the Ra or HDS style clips. They are very robust and durable. Also the circumference of the lights are very close so there shouldn't be much modification needed to the clip. Just dril and tap the body of the light.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will take pictures!

I only put my light in my left pocket for tactical reasons & I only carry change &/or my cell phone in that pocket. So having the light suspended by the pocket keeps it safe from the coins.

When I need to access my change, I just move the light to my back pocket.

Ash: that is a good idea, but this light is too big for me to be comfortable with that config. Plus I am trying to go low profile so it is not easily noticed.

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I bought a clip on a knife shop site, but it's not curved like the RA HSD lights' are and bending it wouldn't look correct either. I'll get one of the HSD clips and drill/tap, post pictures somehow but won't get the clip for about 2 weeks, still looking around.
I did get an interesting mod going on my MD3, bought pop up lens cap for rifle scopes from a site called OpticsPlanet made by NcStar. The best size is 1 3/4 also described as 29.8mm-30.6mm What I'll do is cut out the cap partially to drop in a hard acrylic lens from flashlightlens' site with a LDF as I have already used it before and like the results. A much more sublte effect is the lens they offer FF P-99, the lens is frosted in itself, no film on either side, still retains a great deal of the throw of the M60 loosing just the rings that its optic creates at shorter ranges. I have ordered SureFire's own cap the F4 I think but it's out of stock as it has been discontinued for some time apparently, replaced by the new monster cap, too large for my taste. Again, I will post pics once I am finished; I'm new to CPF so can't post within my threads yet unless I'm doing something incorrect.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to host the pics at some place like photobucket & then link them in your post.

Does any body know of a place to get a clip besides Ra/HDS or Sandwhich shoppe?

HDS/Ra wants 15.00 in freight for a 8.00 steel clip & SS wants 25.00 for a Ti clip + 5.00 freight+ 9.25% tax since I live in Ca even though my local rate is 8.25%

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the photobucket idea, I signed up. I'll post pics of what clips I got, I looked at the ones you ordered, cheap and look durable, good luck! Malkoffs rule!

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my raw clips today & now I need to find some time in the next week to do the work to make this bad boy functional! :devil:

ionizedsky

Enlightened
:poke: Gene just sent an email out about a new clip for the MD2. Looks pretty sweet!

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
What crazy timing. I just got my pics done of my clip creation that a buddy made up for me! It is a titanium clip I got from a knife vendor for 3 bucks!

DSC00416Medium.jpg

DSC00418Medium.jpg

DSC00421Medium.jpg

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a really nice clip you put on there!

I was telling my wife YESTERDAY that if the MD2 I have with a high-low (and the recently shipped M61!!) had a pocket clip, it would be my favorite 2X123 light for the pocket. (there is the ArcManai SF-III that I consider a "holster light" that gives it some really stiff competition in the size range....but that's some high level competition!!)

Then I get the e-mail that one is coming!! I can't wait.
Thanks for offering it Gene!

jonesy

Enlightened
:poke: Gene just sent an email out about a new clip for the MD2. Looks pretty sweet!

You have a link I can check out? I looked over Malkoff's site and didn't see anything.

EDIT: Never mind, I just found it. I hope it comes back in stock, along with the hi/lo ring!

Last edited:

ionizedsky

Enlightened
This is what Gene sent out. It sounds like they haven't even sold them yet but that the sold out is just simply there to show there is non in stock. According to this message though there should be some in a couple of days.

Hello All,
We have come up with a Tail Shroud and Pocket Clip for the MD2.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/pocket-clip-and-tail-shroud-to-fit-md2-p-84.html
We should have some of these in stock in a day or two.
Also we will have a few more M61's in a day or two. After that it will be a
week or so before more of the M61's are available. Sorry for the delay. We
are waiting on parts.
Thanks, Gene
www.malkoffdevices.com