Corroded battery in Zebralight H501

cuff46

Newly Enlightened
I have a year old Zebralight H501 that's been sitting in a coat pocket for a few months unused. I tried to use it today and found the battery(Duracell Alkaline) is corroded and stuck in the light. Any suggestions? I was able to get the tail cap off, does the LED end twist off also? Please help.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard baking soda or vinegar may help. I would contact Duracell. Do a search with keywords corroded battery and there is a bunch of stuff about it.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
man, that sucks, hate having that happen to a light. try to stay away from alkalines in future, i primarily use NiMHs for everything AA or AAA powered after my energizer AAA corroded in my E01.

I have a stock of alkalines but these are backups or if i am sure that i am going to drain the light in a night's fishing use, i just use alkalines till they die and then switch over to either another set of alkalines or NiMHs.

try not to leave alkalines in lights for extended periods of time.

i tried to find some info on corroding battery but was unsuccessful, still no harm in contacting duracell to see what they say, oh and i heard vinegar is supposed to help. hope you get your light working again.

njet212

Enlightened
Seem the alkies were leak on your Zebra light. If you're going to your flashlight powered AA Occasionally ( especially quality flashlight like fenix, nitecore, zebralight etc ) it would be better if your'e using Sanyo Eneloop or Lithium AA for feeding the flashlight, once it's leaked it would have chance to destroy your flashlight forever ( like i did on my maglite 5c )

Once i have alkies leaked on my 5C maglite, what i done is sprayed with the WD 40 and banged the bottom of flashlight on the ground.

Leaking Alkalines?
Leaking Alkaline batteries in LED
Leaking alkaline batteries

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet another light killed by alkies... :shakehead

I don't think you can get the cell out again if it doesn't come over the normal way. A few weeks ago I had my mother's MiniMag with the same problem, she had a second tube of an old light which didn't work anymore, so I just saw the head off to take the light engine out and now she has a camo body with a shiny blue head and tail! :ohgeez:

No solution for you, good luck with Duracell!

The 8th Man

Newly Enlightened
I had a battery go bad in my inova X1, I was able to get it out , the light had some damage but baking soda cleaned most of it out and it is usable again. I have had alkalines go bad in things like remotes for TVs and things like that, In the case of my inova I know I used it one night and I must have left it on, the head was still tightened in the on position. I have found in most cases when these batteries go bad it is because the battery was being drained past the point of being dead.

In items with more than one battery it seems to happen even more because one battery can still have life in it while another is dead. rechargeables are a better choice but some things will not take them. When ever you use alkalines you should be very careful not to leave the device on by accident.

Latest posts