Quark Mini Promblem With AA Alkaline Battery?

henry1960

Enlightened
I have both aluminum and Titanium AA lights and my Ti works on 14500 and alkaline batteries.
My aluminum light works on 14500 batteries only. Does not want to work on alkaline batteries.
Why is this.
I tryed many different alkaline batteries with this light and it still does not work.
Now i will be useing 14500 at all times because alkaline batteries of course is not good to use but if i want (in case of emergency)to be able to use alkaline batteries on these lights if i have to.
Is anyone having the same problem? :sssh:

Last edited:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried my quark aa neutral tint on an alkaline battery that read 1.04v and it worked fine. Sounds like a problem with your particular light.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Have you tried using Nimh's?

If not, you may have a 3-9v head, which will be the reason why the 14500 works, and the alkaline doesn't.

If so, and it works with Nimhs, you either have A) Defunct alkalines, or B) Picky head

~Brian

henry1960

Enlightened
Have you tried using Nimh's?

If not, you may have a 3-9v head, which will be the reason why the 14500 works, and the alkaline doesn't.

If so, and it works with Nimhs, you either have A) Defunct alkalines, or B) Picky head

~Brian

I think you might be right abought a picky head...
I also tryed energizer lithium and have the same promblem.
It does make sense that i might have a 3-9v head for reason why my 14500 only works on this light :thumbsdow

bstrickler

Enlightened
Quark MINI............

Oops. I misunderstood. I thought he said it was a mini problem, not a problem with a MiNi.

I think you might be right abought a picky head...
I also tryed energizer lithium and have the same promblem.
It does make sense that i might have a 3-9v head for reason why my 14500 only works on this light :thumbsdow

Maybe ask 4sevens if the CR123 MiNi head has different voltage requirements than the AA version. If it does, it's entirely possible that somehow, your MiNi has a CR123 head, instead of a AA head (assuming they're both the same size)

~Brian

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unscrew the barrel from the head. Turn it around and screw the other end into the head. It's a trap that caught me, too.

c_c

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops. I misunderstood. I thought he said it was a mini problem, not a problem with a MiNi.

Maybe ask 4sevens if the CR123 MiNi head has different voltage requirements than the AA version. If it does, it's entirely possible that somehow, your MiNi has a CR123 head, instead of a AA head (assuming they're both the same size)

~Brian
On the MiNi the AA and 123 heads and tubes are different diameters so are the circuit boards.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unscrew the barrel from the head. Turn it around and screw the other end into the head. It's a trap that caught me, too.

c_c
Can't do that with the MiNi, the head and body only mate one way. I think your referring to the regular Quark problem with the threads on one end of the battery tube being a little shorter.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you have a regular Quark or a Quark MiNi?
None of the MiNi's have a 3-9v head, they are all single cell lights.

henry1960

Enlightened
Do you have a regular Quark or a Quark MiNi?
None of the MiNi's have a 3-9v head, they are all single cell lights.

I Have The Quark Mini.

I even tryed putting the AL head on the TI body but it does not match up whith each other :shakehead

Looks like I`ll have to call 4 Sevens and straiten this out and get another one. :popcorn:

amigafan2003

Enlightened
The boost part of the driver is probably fried.

Did you use the 14500 in it BEFORE using an alkaline battery? Bear in mind that 14500 use in the MiNi is probably not covered under the warranty.

The manual states the input voltage for a MiNi AA is 0.9v to 1.5v only:-

http://img20.imageshack.us/i/quarkmini123.pdf/ page 5

I know many people are using 14500's in the mini's with success (me included) but I thought it best to give you a heads up on potential issues.

Niconical

Enlightened

Did you use the 14500 in it BEFORE using an alkaline battery? Bear in mind that 14500 use in the MiNi is probably not covered under the warranty.

I know many people are using 14500's in the mini's with success (me included) but I thought it best to give you a heads up on potential issues.

+1 on that.

If you've used a 14500 against the instructions in the manual, I think you'll just have to look at it as a lesson learned. :(
The same would apply for the MiNI 123, people will use a RCR, but 4sevens can't be held accountable for any problems that show up after.

dandism

Enlightened
+1 on that.

If you've used a 14500 against the instructions in the manual, I think you'll just have to look at it as a lesson learned. :(
The same would apply for the MiNI 123, people will use a RCR, but 4sevens can't be held accountable for any problems that show up after.
They have said that it is safe to use a 14500 in them as long as it's not too hot to hold.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a Romisen AA that no longer works with lower voltage batteries, NIMH/Alkaline, It only works with a 14500 now. The boost circuit is fried. It's a single mode and was not rated for the higher voltage of a 14500.

amigafan2003

Enlightened
They have said that it is safe to use a 14500 in them as long as it's not too hot to hold.
4Sevens retracted that statement in the MiNi announcement thread. Their line is that lions are not supported under ANY circumstances.

I don't blame them - it protects them from warranty claims from uneducated users.

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
My bet would be that it's a mechanical rather than an electrical problem. The 14500 is probably just a little longer than the alkaline so it's making better contact.

balou

Enlightened
4Sevens retracted that statement in the MiNi announcement thread. Their line is that lions are not supported under ANY circumstances.

First they said it's fully supported, then they said only if it doesn't get to hot, and now they don't support it at all. I'm a bit disappointed with 4sevens.