Pilot's LED flashlight saves lives from sinking plane.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a rare story about a light plane crash in Australia where the ALL the crew and passengers come home alive because of a bit of common sense. I've always believed in the motto: better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! For years I've been the joke of my family and friends for taking at least 5 flashlights with me whenever we go for holidays or short day trips. This story only adds to my resolve.

Another story for carrot's collection??

Chroma

Newly Enlightened
Very nice story. If he wouldn't have had the light there is a good possibility they would have been looking in the wrong direction. A mere delay of a half hour or hour and hypothermia might have set in.

g36pilot

Enlightened
Nice story... honestly I would've expected aviators to carry a light as standard kit (for aircraft inspections) ;)

Yes it's required equipment. Most pilots transport only the one stored in their flight bag. It's usually only taken out for night external preflight inspections or night in-flight airframe icing check.

I'll add a recommendation for an EDC. Why?:

1. Will you be able to rapidly acquire a transported light quickly in the dark with the bag contents jumbled during routine access? (granted there's enough time in all but the most dire situations)

2. During an incident, will you be able to locate your possibly dislodged flight bag?

Granted my EDC is better suited for certain uses, but it's always accessible until there's opportunity to get to a flight bag transported thrower or long duration LED and spare batteries for all.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Yes it's required equipment. Most pilots transport only the one stored in their flight bag. It's usually only taken out for night external preflight inspections or night in-flight airframe icing check.

Was that rule changed? I used to fly light aircraft, and the only requirement for a flashlight was if you were flying after dark -- and it had to take at least 2 D cells. Has that been changed to a smarter alternative?

gottawearshades

Enlightened
This is a good reason why TSA should never give me any trouble when I board a plane with a light in my pocket.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good reason why TSA should never give me any trouble when I board a plane with a light in my pocket.

Asking or expecting the TSA to operate sensibly is fool hearty. They wouldn't know a good reason from a good banana, and they have no regard for any individual that does not control their job.

bansuri

Enlightened
Asking or expecting the TSA to operate sensibly is fool hearty. They wouldn't know a good reason from a good banana, and they have no regard for any individual that does not control their job.
Spoken like a person who has flown! haha

g36pilot

Enlightened
Was that rule changed? I used to fly light aircraft, and the only requirement for a flashlight was if you were flying after dark -- and it had to take at least 2 D cells. Has that been changed to a smarter alternative?

Yes, it's changed a little. The 2xD cell requirement disappeared a number of years ago. Thankfully.

In the air transport industry a light is required anytime.

Personal flying I carry one anytime as well, but it's probably not required for daytime non-commercial ops.

Last edited:

Dez

Newly Enlightened
These guys work in the flightschool I got my training in and I am sure they all carry pretty good lights after this incident.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/f...ssie-survived-arctic-crash-20081209-6ult.html

They could have been rescued pretty fast if they had any kind of light with them.

I use a C2 with a LF 26D for preeflight and a small cheap red LED kaychain in cockpit. (have a few spares with me in the bag)
The C2 is in my pocket at all times during flight if I need to make a quick exit.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Yes, it's changed a little. The 2xD cell requirement disappeared a number of years ago. Thankfully.

In the air transport industry a light is required anytime.

Personal flying I carry one anytime as well, but it's probably not required for daytime non-commercial ops.

I would, too, if I were still flying. I got stuck flying a CAP Rescue mission after dark once when I didn't expect to be out past about 3 PM. I didn't have a flashlight along, and then had total electrical failure. It was pretty exciting. Had total electrical failure at night two other times, but nowhere as bad as this!

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Couple of months ago, I flew to Vegas from La Guardia airport. The TSA screener asked that we place, among other things, our flashlights into the trays. Along with a Fenix E01, I had a Pelican 3330 LED M6 model. Both were handed back to me without a single word.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiousity, how will Lithium cells(primary or Li-On) perform in Arctic conditions? Would standard Alkalines and Ni-Mh outperform Lithiums in Arctic conditions?

Need to know because it would really be:hairpull: if the flashlights don't work in a life & death situation because the batteries are frozen to death.

I've used my Lithium cells on my ski trips numerous times without any hiccups, however it only gets down to about -12 Degrees Celsius here in Australian ski resorts, nowhere near Arctic conditions.

These guys work in the flightschool I got my training in and I am sure they all carry pretty good lights after this incident.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/f...ssie-survived-arctic-crash-20081209-6ult.html

They could have been rescued pretty fast if they had any kind of light with them.

I use a C2 with a LF 26D for preeflight and a small cheap red LED kaychain in cockpit. (have a few spares with me in the bag)
The C2 is in my pocket at all times during flight if I need to make a quick exit.

Last edited:

ragweed

Enlightened
I read that Lithium primary is good to -40 below zero. I don't think this fact will help much as a human would be frozen to death without proper clothing.

KD5XB

Enlightened
The real problem, though, would be if you were dressed appropriately and then put the flashlight in an OUTSIDE pocket. Could easily become a survival problem.