Zebra and Nitecore

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Well I've been doing a lot of research and come down to two lights. The yet to be announced Zebralight AA version of the SC30 and the Nitecore SP.

I want a single AA light that is small, rugged and easy to use which will be used as an EDC. We will bring it along camping and use it for reading in tents, so the very low light levels with long run times will be of huge advantage.

Of course we don't know what Zebralight will really bring out yet so I'm wondering if people here would be more inclined to get the Nitecore or wait for Zebra to announce the AA version?

I've looked at Quark lights too but don't like them as much.

What do you think?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your gonna be using it for reading why not get the Zebralight H501 headlamp?

Thats the only thing I would ever consider to use for reading when I have a choice.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be worthwhile to get a light that can function as both an atmosphere light and a directional light. I know you said you weren't a fan of the quark, but the prism attachment is supposed to be pretty handy. You could also look into the Fenix MC-10 which can also double as a headlamp. Or you could always just get a flashlight and a headlamp separately.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be worthwhile to get a light that can function as both an atmosphere light and a directional light. I know you said you weren't a fan of the quark, but the prism attachment is supposed to be pretty handy. You could also look into the Fenix MC-10 which can also double as a headlamp. Or you could always just get a flashlight and a headlamp separately.

i've seen and handled the MC10 and it positively dwarfs my H501, it's significantly heavier than the 501 as well (IMHO).

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love my zebralight h501w, but i have heard alot of quality and ruggedness issues with the light, and i understand, its light, thin, just doesnt feel like it can take a heavy beating. but its unique design makes up for it, plus its light, and small.
if i lost mine today, i would definite buy another one.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also love my Zebralights, the best headlamps available in my eyes. I don't think either though, that they are very rugged. They are meant to be put on your forehead, thus they are lightweight and under normal conditions you don't bump your forehead against anything, at least not that hard the Zebralight would get hurt more than you. In fact, the more rugged it is, teh more it can hurt you in case of accident.

The new Zebralight flashlight doesn't look quite rugged as well, its button is exposed and probably the weak point. Regardless if you mean the Nitecore D10 SP or EX10 SP, they are quite rugged. There's a tribute thread from Zerual which you should read! :cool:

I've got a few D10 as well, one SP until now (Camo version). The feeling stays about the same with the SP I think, despite the fact that ramping is replaced by 3 modes of course. Upon receiving, best is to clean the piston and the tube and relube with something serious as Nyogel. If you want to use 14500 cells, you may have to cut the spring for propper operation, for AA it's fine. The piston drive is something different than teh electronic switch of the Zebra. If something doesn't work anymore, it mostly comes from dirt/corrosion on the brass ring, you remove it, clean it, apply Deoxyd if you have some and it works again.

The weak point on these Nitecores is probably water resistance on the piston. We're also waiting for XP-G, but, to be honest, my R2s are fairly bright, you don't need more, just want more! :wave:

Pahrens

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the help. I think this sways me towards the Nitecore because of the build quality. It will be a while before I can order one though as they all seem to be out of stock. Could this be because of a new XP-G model coming soon?

The Zebra looked nice but I'm guessing the Nitecore will have more of a spot beam than the Zebra, would this be right?

What is an atmosphere light and directional light? Does this mean flood and spot? I'd love it if there was a focusing version of LED light, but as I understand the Maglites even with the new rebel LED is not all that bright.

Are there any other good single AA battery lights to consider?

jslappa

Enlightened
I have the D10 (Ok, 8 of them really), but I am surprised that no one has suggested that you buy the D10, AND buy the $7.50 headband. You can mount the D10 on either side, the top, and even the back so people have a light to follow you. It's the best of both worlds. 4sevens.com has the headbands and the D10. And they ship free