Gun light on a budget

K_Labs

Newly Enlightened
I've seen the various threads with gun mounted lights and they are all a little overpriced. I'm not varmit hunting, not home defending, or anything like that. I picked up a light from DX that was like $17 dollars with a preasure switch and a rail mount. I bought it with such haste I didn't realize it required 2 18650's. A little bit big for a gun light imo.

I'm looking at these 2 atm on DX. 16847 or 9060. I don't care to have a preasure switch and I'm looking 2 spend about $30 or less. If there is a super sick light for $50 or $60 that I'm not aware of I'll pick it up. I'm looking for throw not flood. 2 cr123's lights prefered but not set on it.

If some1 has one for sale on the marketplace I'm willing to keep it in the forums and support the habit. Hit me with some knowledge. Lumens Runtimes all that goodstuff

Your replies are much appreciated. BTW I'm not very knowledgable with the whole led vs incadecent vs recoil but I'm mounting it on a Ar15

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Surefire G2L and a 1" mount...a used G2L can be had for about $50-55, and you can upgrade/down grade it forever, rock solid no-hassle SF warranty. If later you want a tape switch, they're easy to find a little more reliable. Runs off 2 CR123's. Even alot of soldiers that don't get issued lights use this set-up. Later on you can add upgrade drop-ins, etc. Hope this helps!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Surefire G2L and a 1" mount...a used G2L can be had for about $50-55, and you can upgrade/down grade it forever, rock solid no-hassle SF warranty. If later you want a tape switch, they're easy to find a little more reliable. Runs off 2 CR123's. Even alot of soldiers that don't get issued lights use this set-up. Later on you can add upgrade drop-ins, etc. Hope this helps!

what he said

K_Labs

Newly Enlightened
Just so I get the right one is the G2 different from the G2L? Or can I buy the cheaper G2 and upgrade it to a LED?

K_Labs

Newly Enlightened
I went the DIY way bought a 6p knockoff body and a Dx sku 14442 Cree R2-WC and a 11836 drop in to test the differences. The parts totaled up to $24. $31 if you count the extra led.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you hadn't already said that it's not for home/self defense, I'd say "My life is worth more than $31"...but if it's just for plinking/target practice, even varmint hunting anythnig will work...anything al ittle more serious, I'd definitely spend the little extra dough and get G2L at the minium. That's the cheapest "reliable" set-up there is...IMHO. Hope yer set-up works for ya!

K_Labs

Newly Enlightened
I'm just gonna troll the marketplace ebay and craigslist for the G2L maybe I can hook one up for cheap.

seattlite

Enlightened
I've seen the various threads with gun mounted lights and they are all a little overpriced. I'm not varmit hunting, not home defending, or anything like that. I picked up a light from DX that was like $17 dollars with a preasure switch and a rail mount. I bought it with such haste I didn't realize it required 2 18650's. A little bit big for a gun light imo.

I'm looking at these 2 atm on DX. 16847 or 9060. I don't care to have a preasure switch and I'm looking 2 spend about $30 or less. If there is a super sick light for $50 or $60 that I'm not aware of I'll pick it up. I'm looking for throw not flood. 2 cr123's lights prefered but not set on it.

If some1 has one for sale on the marketplace I'm willing to keep it in the forums and support the habit. Hit me with some knowledge. Lumens Runtimes all that goodstuff

Your replies are much appreciated. BTW I'm not very knowledgable with the whole led vs incadecent vs recoil but I'm mounting it on a Ar15

Streamlight TLR-1: TLR-1

The TLR-1 has a built in mount AND the mount allow you to place it on any rail position unlike the Surefire X-series lights where you have to thread the light from the front of the rail then slide it to the rail position you want.

I have and older TLR-2 and it is nice and bright with lots of throw. Only other light that will throw longer are the SF Scouts or the X300/400 lights.

If you go the G2L route, you'll have to purchase a mount separately.

Also, check out this thread for more Weaponlight options: Weaponlights