Why is it called a flashlight?

duboost

Enlightened
well in many other places around the world it's called a torch, but according to wikipedia (which i know isn't the most official source of info):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashlight

Wikipedia said:
In 1896, the first dry cell battery was invented. Unlike previous batteries, it used a paste electrolyte instead of a liquid. This was the first battery suitable for portable electrical devices, as it did not spill or break easily and worked in any orientation.
On 10 January 1899, American Electrical Novelty and Manufacturing Company obtained U.S. Patent No. 617,592 (filed 12 March 1898) from David Misell, its English inventor.[1] This "electric device" designed by Misell was powered by "D" batteries laid front to back in a paper tube with the light bulb and a rough brass reflector at the end.[2][3] The company donated some of these devices to the New York City police, who responded favorably to them.[4]
These early flashlights ran on zinc–carbon batteries, which could not provide a steady electric current and required periodic 'rest' to continue functioning.[5] Because these early flashlights also used energy-inefficient carbon-filament bulbs, "resting" occurred at short intervals. Consequently, they could be used only in brief flashes, hence the popular name flashlight

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
well in many other places around the world it's called a torch

As duboost says we call them torches over here in the UK but I've found that if you say torch some people, from other parts of the world where they call them flashlights, think you're going witch burning or something so I tend to use the non specific term "lights" when posting in an international forum.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
That's the way to do it - wrap a rag around the end of a stout log, dip it in tar and set light to it. :devil:

All flood though, and the runtime and the regulation suck :sigh:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
As duboost says we call them torches over here in the UK but I've found that if you say torch some people, from other parts of the world where they call them flashlights, think you're going witch burning or something so I tend to use the non specific term "lights" when posting in an international forum.

:crackup:

The witch burning was funny. You should stick to torch no matter where you post I always find it a bit humorous in a good way and I think it sounds cool.
Torch sounds manly serious.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
:crackup:

The witch burning was funny. You should stick to torch no matter where you post I always find it a bit humorous in a good way and I think it sounds cool.
Torch sounds manly serious.

It's all fine until you're dealing with a supplier that offers you a pitchfork accessory for your torch!

jackaloop

Newly Enlightened
In German, the term for flashlight is "Taschenlampe" which roughly translates as pocketlamp.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
In German, the term for flashlight is "Taschenlampe" which roughly translates as pocketlamp.

Yeah, same in Luxembourg as our language once came from a german dialect : Täscheluucht (don't try to say that word now...).

Nearly 25 years ago, when I got my Mag4C and Mag6D I wondered if we have another term for such lights, but we haven't. So, the Mag6D is a pocket lamp, depends on your pockets I guess! :crazy:

As a flashoholic, I now use the term "flashlight" also in luxembourgish. Why not, since teh computer era we saw many english terms which can't be translated invade our language...

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now use the term "flashlight" also in luxembourgish. Why not, since teh computer era we saw many english terms which can't be translated invade our language...

'FLASHLIGHT' AN ENGLISH TERM !!!!!!!

Oh dear, oh dear. Come to England and use the word Flashlight and the person you were talking to would ask you one of two things.

Do you mean Torch ?

or

Are you American ?

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
hehe we also call them "pocket lights", but the term "battery" (baterija) is also comonly used around here, not official though, but most people use it since it shorter than "žepna svetilka". Hm, though we do also use the term "svetilka" -light. :D :sick2:

Oh we have a very messed up language indeed.. :thinking:

Geban

Newly Enlightened
'FLASHLIGHT' AN ENGLISH TERM !!!!!!!

Oh dear, oh dear. Come to England and use the word Flashlight and the person you were talking to would ask you one of two things.

Do you mean Torch ?

or

Are you American ?
I wonder how english pyromaniacs go about to torch a house? :crackup: