THE CUBE! the XENO CUBE, G105, and G95 *pics and beamshots*

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
THE CUBE! the XENO CUBE, G105, and G95 *pics and beamshots* *UPDATED SPECS*

*For reviews on other models of XENO and FARKA lights click HERE

The new form factor of the CUBE got me curious so I set out to acquire some of the XENO lights and give 'em a whirl.

I got a G105 V1 (top right), G95 V1 (left), and the latest version of the CUBE, the E11 V3.
XENO_group.jpg

XENO G105 V1
This light operates on a single 18650 battery and boasts a CREE WC R2 cool white emitter with a color temperature of around 6500K. The flashlight is constructed of stainless steel and the fit and finish are very nice. It has square threads and although mine arrived dry, once it was lubricated the twisty action was buttery smooth. The logo and name are tastefully represented. The tail has holes for lanyard attachment and a 1/4 20 tap so the light can be mounted on a threaded stud like those commonly found on tripods.
XENO_G105_V1_cr.jpg

XENO_G105_V1b_cr.jpg

Beamshots:
Xeno_G105_V1_high.jpg

Xeno_G105_V1_med.jpg

Xeno_G105_V1_low.jpg

XENO G95 V1
The second light is the G95 V1. It also runs off of one 18650 Li-ion rechargeable, uses the same CREE WC R2 cool white LED as the G105 and is also a twisty. It is the little brother to the G105 V1. The fit and finish were also very nice on this light although it had some minor contact issues with a flat-top AW18650 that the G105 didn't. I liked the beam quality of this one better... it was more even with fewer artifacts and a better transition from spot to spill.
XENO_G95_V1a_cr.jpg

XENO_G95_V1b_cr.jpg

Beamshots:
Xeno_G95_V1_high.jpg

Xeno_G95_V1_med.jpg

Xeno_G95_V1_low.jpg

And last but not least... the CUBE.

XENO E11 V3 - the CUBE
This light was the reason for my interest in the XENO lights. It just oozes cool. It is AA-powered (accepts alkaline, NiMh, and Li-Ion 14500s!) with a CREE XR-E WG R2 which is slightly warmer than the emitters in its' G95 and G105 cousins. It is made from 303 stainless steel. The threads are square and the tailcap is countersunk into the tail. It has a flip-out d-ring for lanyard attachment that folds neatly out of the way for tail-standing glory. There is a GITD o-ring between the reflector and lens. It has a two stage driver and the manufacturer estimates its output to be 113 on high (for 1.5 hours) with NiMh and 187 on high (for 1 hour) using Li-ion. The lows are estimated at 20 and 55 with runtimes of 3 and 2 hours. I am unfamiliar enough with the XENO lights to know how accurate their ratings are but I'd guess they're rating emitter lumens and not OTF. One thing you'll notice immediately it the heft of this light. It's heavy but in a really cool way. It's like having an ingot it your hand. It's not a light that lends itself to pocket-carry unless you've got a good belt or suspenders but it fits great inside the included leather holster for belt-carry.

*UPDATE*
I have been informed that in just a few days the E11 V3 will be available with an XP-G R5. Those who already own a CUBE will like the news that an upgrade pill will be available to convert previous CUBE versions to the XP-G emitter.

*Here are the updated Specs for the V5 version which contains an XPG-R5 emitter:
SPEC. of XENO® High-Power LED Stainless Flashlight
CUBE, E11 V5
Date:Jan.19'2010
XENO Co. No.:X100119FS003

1. Brand:
XENO®
Name: CUBE
Model No.: E11
Version: V5

2. Features

LED:CREE XP-G 1B R5; MaxOutput:270lms; Coulor Temperature 1B:6500~7000K
  • XENO R6 reflector:Al-Alloy,micro-OP, special for XP-G LED
  • XENO CUBE:the 1st quadrate flashlight on earth
  • XENO unique design of weight-reducing
  • XENO originate: Double Thread—Fast screw and unscrew
  • XENO GFC Impact-Resistant System
  • XENO unique Quiet RSL™ LED driver; Built-in battery inverted-load protection
  • XENO unique Dissipate Heat System
  • XENO H3GL V1 enclosed --Genuine Leather Holster with MOLLE System
  • XENO LS550C V2 enclosed --Mil.Spec. Lanyard System
Use any AA size battery:a dry cell,Alkaline,Ni-Cd,Ni-MH,14500 Li-ion,LiFePO4 battery
machining by CNC with 303 stainless solid cylinder
Water proof: 5 meters dunk-resistance

3. Specifications
  • Emitter: CREE®, XP-G 1B R5, Coulor Temperature 1B:6500~7000, Cool White.
  • Max output: 270 lumens/luminous flux@ max 800mA, using Li-ion battery 14500.
  • Reflector: XENO R6 precision micro-textured aluminum reflector, produces bright central beam with a gradually diminishing surround beam.
  • Optical focus: pre-focusing to the best and fixed.
  • Window: High quality toughened mineral-glass lens, precision polish the edge for impact resistant.
Battery (not included):
CUBE can use any AA size battery--one way battery (a dry cell, Alkaline) and rechargeable battery (Ni-Cd,Ni-MH,14500 Li-ion,LiFePO4 battery).

LED driver:
  • XENO unique GFC(Gamble Free Concept) impact-resistant technology.
  • XENO unique Quiet RSL™ technology.
  • Built-in battery inverted-load protection.
  • Variable output: High and Low, two-stage. The high output is always the start mode.
Measured value of Rating-Output:

Using Ni-MH battery
  • high output:130 lumens,1.5 hours
  • low output 28 lumens,3 hours;
Using Li-ion battery
  • high output:270 lumens,1hours
  • low output 70 lumens,2 hours.
Measured with*:
single 2200mAH SANYO eneloop AA Ni-MH rechargeable battery and 750mAH 14500 Li-ion
rechargeable battery. Both full recharged and continuous testing to get a burning time.
*The experience result will be a little different for the battery of different brand, condition etc.

4.Size and Weight:

Size:
  • length 101mm, quadrate section 21*21mm, circular arc corner.
  • Net Weight: 170g (battery not included).
5.Packing Information:
  • Tin box with EVA protective lining.
  • Size of tin box: L128*W93.5*H32.5mm.
  • Unit packing weight: 318.5g.
XENO_Cube_V3a_cr.jpg

XENO_Cube_V3c_cr.jpg

XENO_Cube_V3b_cr.jpg

XENO_Cube_V3d_cr.jpg

Beamshots:
Xeno_E11_CUBE_V3_high.jpg

Xeno_E11_CUBE_V3_low.jpg

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Re: XENO G105 V1, G95 V1, and the E11 CUBE V3 *pics and beamshots*

Excellent reviews of these lights.

One question: The placement of the D-ring for lanyard attachment, although you probably wouldn't want something that heavy swinging about around your neck, does it make it difficult to use the tail switch when you have something attached to the d-ring?

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened

One question: The placement of the D-ring for lanyard attachment, although you probably wouldn't want something that heavy swinging about around your neck, does it make it difficult to use the tail switch when you have something attached to the d-ring?

The flashlight comes with a Paracord lanyard with slip-locks. I hadn't even tried using it until you posted your question but did immediately afterwards. If the lanyard passes simply (single strand) through the d-ring, the tailswitch access is limited slightly but it's still functional. The d-ring and strands move out of the way. If the lanyard is attached by passing a bight through the d-ring the switch is rendered inaccessible. Thanks for catching that! :thumbsup:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

maybe i missed it, but where did you get these from again?

thank you.

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened

maybe i missed it, but where did you get these from again?

thank you.

They were sent to me by the manufacturer.
http://www.zhongwin.com/

I'm not aware of any North American distributors or dealers at this time, but there have been a few group buys arranged with the manufacturer. As a manufacturer, I am guessing that they have minimum order quantities but you'd have to check with them.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm.... images don't show up.

strinq

Enlightened

Pics show up fine here.
Really good looking lights and the cube sure feels nice in the hand.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Nicely done.

The Cube just looks so cool. I'm going to have a hard time resisting.

The G95 looks great as well. Is there any way to get a comparison shot with other 18650 lights?

Kindle

Enlightened
Love the form factor of the cube. Looks like it would make a great light for the night stand.

Last edited:

rtryland

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Those are so classy! I'd be interested in going in for a group buy for one of those Cubes... Those are just to sexy!

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
Nice form factors - in particular they might make nice presents for non-flashaholics.

I checked out the manufacturer site but couldn't find any pricing info - do you have an idea of prices?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to a group buy for the Cube, and the G95 looks promising also.

I may have missed it, but I don't think you mentioned the switch mechanism of the Cube in the review. I see that in a later post you mention a clicky.

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review desertrat21. I am really interested in the cube and hopefully these will be available in the US in the future.

Oh, and as usual, your photography skills make me puke...;) nice job.. :twothumbs

Caroso

Newly Enlightened
Nicely done.

The Cube just looks so cool. I'm going to have a hard time resisting.

The G95 looks great as well. Is there any way to get a comparison shot with other 18650 lights?

Here is a comparison with all lights that i could find in my room now.
Farka F8 (from the same manufacturer as Xeno), Eagletac M2C4, Zebralight H60, Xeno G95, Jetbeam Jet-III PRO Ti, Nitecore D20, Mag 6D
25krdqw.jpg

Theres also a picture in the review i made with a few other lights
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/248666

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
I am glad everyone likes the photos! Thanks for the kind words. :grin2:

I may have missed it, but I don't think you mentioned the switch mechanism of the Cube in the review. I see that in a later post you mention a clicky.

It is indeed a clicky... a reverse clicky... and it has a good feel to it. Once the light's on a light tap will change modes.

Love the form factor of the cube. Looks like it would make a great light for the night stand.

That it would... it obviously won't roll away and the GITD o-ring makes it easy to find. :twothumbs

One other note... both of the 18650 lights work with my AW18650 flat-top 2600mAh batteries. I think I saw somewhere that there was concern of the G95 only accepting unprotected cells.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance the G95 and G105 heads are interchangeble?

Love the looks of the G95, but the functionality of the G105 tail is more appealing.