Questions about Fenix Tk30, PD20 and AW Batteries.

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
Hey everybody! Since i found this forum, i can't seem to stop reading everything! I did try to find the answers to these questions... but had a bit of a hard time.

If you would be so kind as to enlighten me, it would be much appreciated.

1. Can anyone confirm that the AW 18650 2600mAH cells work with the TK30 or should i be looking at the 2200mAH cells?

2. There seems to be two models of the Fenix PD20. The older model looks to be more "tacticool" whereas the 2010 model looks to be more sleek. Are the differences only cosmetic or are they internally different? Is there a clip that would fit on the older model?

3. Anyone know which AW battery works best with either PD20?

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
2. There seems to be two models of the Fenix PD20. The older model looks to be more "tacticool" whereas the 2010 model looks to be more sleek. Are the differences only cosmetic or are they internally different? Is there a clip that would fit on the older model?

The clip from my LD10 seems to fit my older model PD20. I went for the older PD20 rather than the new cylinder shape because I preferred that 'tacticool' look you mentioned. Generally though I just let the light sit in a pocket. It's so small it just disappears in a pocket.

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
I read somewhere that the newer AW cells are shaped differently... and don't work on some lights, was wondering if the same applied to the tk30.

snala

Newly Enlightened
You get the magnet that goes inbetween the cells included with the TK30. It's so these new cells without the bumps will still work.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older PD20 has a Q5 LED the newer one runs an XP-E R2 LED. It is perceived that the older PD20 throws better than the newer one but because the new one offers more spill it doesn't seem to throw as far. Though to my eye and having owned both I believe that the new PD20 throws just as well as the Q5 version and the beam on the new one is nicer IMO. As far as running AW rechargeable cells in the PD20, I don't believe they are recommended. Also if you do run one I think the light will only operate on turbo mode until the battery voltage drops to 3 volts. BTW I just got my new PD20 R2 yesterday and I really like it. I was worried the clip would be weak but it is pretty damn stout! I'm impressed. I think this one will be a keeper.

Last edited:

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone know if theres a clip that fits the older PD20? I much prefer it to the 2010 model but would love a clip.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone know if theres a clip that fits the older PD20? I much prefer it to the 2010 model but would love a clip.

As I said, the clip for the current model LD10 fits my PD20 just fine.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I had my Q5 PD20 I used a Munroe Dangler as a clip. I thought I saw someone here that makes a similar dangle style clip for a little cheaper?

KarlMaldensNose

Newly Enlightened
There are several posts about the older PD20 that were burned with RCR123, the circuit can't handle 4.2V.

I'm completely ignorant regarding batteries, especially when it comes to the science, specs, numbers, etc. related to them. So I'm bringing this up simply for clarification and not as contradiction... I'm just trying to find the best batteries for my Fenix PD20 Q5 and Nitecore D10 Q5, is all.

So anyway, check out this site selling Tenergy RCR123A batteries and charger (not that I'd buy that brand, mind you). They claim that they're "designed to work with Fenix flashlights." Are they fine for all Fenix models other than the Q5 PD20? Also, they seem to be listed at a peak voltage of 3.0V to 3.60V after fully charged. You mentioned that 4.2V is too high. What about RCR123 cells with voltages ranging around 3.0V to 3.6V, would they be okay, or would it be wise to just avoid rechargeable 123's altogether?

I have it stuck in my head that I remember reading somewhere that a certain type of battery is not recommended for one of the aforementioned lights I have. Thing is, I can't remember what battery, which light, or where I possibly read this. Does anyone know of any no-no cells for either of my lights (PD20 Q5 and D10 Q5), i.e. batteries that could damage them in any way? Thanks.

Egsise

Banned
Those Tenergy RCR123 cells work ok with PD20, the voltage is 3V(3.6V full).
Your PD20 can't handle the voltage of regular RCR123 Li-ion, which is 3.7V(4.2V full).

Easiest and cheapest way is not to use rechargeable RCR123 in your Fenix PD20.

How much you use your flashlights?
What cells you use in your Nitecore D10?

KarlMaldensNose

Newly Enlightened
I don't use my lights a whole lot, maybe once or twice a day for total combined run time of a minute or two for both lights combined.

Right now I'm running a Duracell ProCell in my D10, but only because I have piles of them kicking around the house and I haven't done all my homework on batteries and lights yet (still a n00b)... don't want to dish out for li-ion, Eneloop, etc. until I know what's what. Same with my PD20, still just running the Tenergy CR123 that it shipped with.

So I will simply avoid rechargeables altogether for the PD20. But any other kinds of CR123 cells are fine? And I assume there are no restrictions with the Nitecore D10 Q5, that I can run it on any li-ion, NiMH, Eneloop, AW, rechargeable, etcetera? Gracias.

Egsise

Banned
So I will simply avoid rechargeables altogether for the PD20. But any other kinds of CR123 cells are fine? And I assume there are no restrictions with the Nitecore D10 Q5, that I can run it on any li-ion, NiMH, Eneloop, AW, rechargeable, etcetera? Gracias.
Yes any CR123 works, but there are some brands that are not designed for high drain devices and you may not get full brightness with those.
Yes D10 accepts those, but be careful with alkaline cells, those may leak.