JetBeam III M stuck in program mode

kccustom

Newly Enlightened
Just got a second Jetbeam III M and some how I am stuck in program mode, has anybody ever heard of something like this?

I have tried switching batteries, factory reset via included instructions, switching heads with my first Jeatbeam III M and every time it comes back on it is still in program mode.

I have also tried to put it back in program mode but that didn't work either, I will be emailing BOG for a RMA in the morning if nobody has any ideas.

Thanks

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well changing head to different body ruled out a switch malfunction so I really don't know what you could try I don't think I have ever heard of this problem before.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Mine does some odd things from time to time and I usually find the tailcap slightly unscrewed. I'm guessing an intermittent connection on either end of the battery tube would cause these things -- so why don't you take a rag or something and try cleaning the ends really well. Make sure each end of the battery tube (the END) is nice and shiny with no grease, anodizing, etc -- and if it still doesn't work, it might be time to contact BOG.

KD5XB

Enlightened
Wow, I just found something else to look at!

In taking my light apart to make sure I was writing what I needed to, a brass ring fell out in my hand from underneath the head. This ring apparently makes connection when the head is unscrewed for the programmable mode and I can't imagine what would happen were it loose and rattling around! Fortunately I was able to get it back in place, although this is the kind of job where I needed my light to see it well enough to DO it!

kccustom

Newly Enlightened
Mine does some odd things from time to time and I usually find the tailcap slightly unscrewed. I'm guessing an intermittent connection on either end of the battery tube would cause these things -- so why don't you take a rag or something and try cleaning the ends really well. Make sure each end of the battery tube (the END) is nice and shiny with no grease, anodizing, etc -- and if it still doesn't work, it might be time to contact BOG.

Ok I tried that, it kind of works.
This is what happens now, it works fine on two cr123's (programs fine, in and out) but when I put the aw 18650 in it works till I try to program it, it will do the same thing.

I have tried 2 diff aw's and two ultrafires with the same results.

kccustom

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I just found something else to look at!

In taking my light apart to make sure I was writing what I needed to, a brass ring fell out in my hand from underneath the head. This ring apparently makes connection when the head is unscrewed for the programmable mode and I can't imagine what would happen were it loose and rattling around! Fortunately I was able to get it back in place, although this is the kind of job where I needed my light to see it well enough to DO it!

Both of the lights I have do not have this ring you mentioned.

KD5XB

Enlightened
I suspect they both do -- unscrew the head, turn it over, and you should see the brass ring screwed onto the bottom of the head surrounding the battery contact.

kccustom

Newly Enlightened
OK, I thought there was a separate piece besides the brass part on the head assembly. They are tight on both of mine.

This light is definitely having a problem with 18560 batteries as it works fine with 2 cr123's.

KC0YQW ;)

Last edited:

KD5XB

Enlightened
OK just a wild shot in the dark here -- are you using "flat top" 18650's? This light needs the "button top" ones.

kccustom

Newly Enlightened
OK just a wild shot in the dark here -- are you using "flat top" 18650's? This light needs the "button top" ones.

Mine have the button tops.

Sure is weird since I have virtually identical lights and one works and one is flakey, I am starting to lean towards RMA.

Thanks for the helps :)

kccustom

Newly Enlightened
OK here is an update for anyone that cares,

Received a second Jetbeam III/M today and it does the exact same thing when I try to use a 18650 battery, it will go into program mode but will not come out of it.

It works fine with cr123 batteries.

Anybody else using these lights with the cool tint led and 18650 aw 2200 mAh batteries?

I think the worst part is both lights were for friends at work that thought these were awesome lights, I think they are done before they even got started.

matt_o

Newly Enlightened
I have a cool tint R2 from BOG as well. I've had it for a couple of months now and don't have any problems with it. I use the AW 2200mAH batteries too. It seems yours is defective. I got a defective RRT-1 from BOG several months ago and they were very helpful in replacing it. Shoot Flavio an e-mail and he will take care of it.

kccustom

Newly Enlightened
One more update,

Well it seems the second one I thought was having the same problem as the first works just fine with both battery types (dunno why it gave me trouble the first time I tried it).

I am going to send the first one I mentioned back since it only seems to work properly with cr123 batteries and not the 18650.

I need to get my coworker a light quick because he keeps eyeballing my raptor!