Stunning KL5, 6, 7 in 2003 SF catalog

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Just received it in the mail. The photography is stunning, one of the finest product presentations I've seen in any catalog. The pics of KL4 through KL7 are crystal clear and revealing. It seems a bit counterintuitive that SF eliminated fins from the 5watters but not the 1watters; clearly they have found a better way. The lenscap of the M2-mounted KL6 contains "upside down" lettering, which might be a prototype error. The KL7, mounted on an 8AX looks remarkably sleek and smooth and all the LED heads are masterpieces of design (thanks PK) and, presumably, function.

Sorry I can't post pics.
Brightnorm

robk

Enlightened
I saw those photos. Funny there is no mention of the KL4 thru 7 in any text description, just a full page photo. They're teasing us. Nice catalog!
Rob

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance someone could scan the photo for those of us (or maybe I'm the only one?) who doesn't receive the printed catalog? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
BN,

The fins on the KL6 are not on the KL6 but on the M3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Don

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
BN,

The fins on the KL6 are not on the KL6 but on the M3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Don, I'll change it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

BN

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
Download the PDF catalog?
fbc119c6.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Greetings Brightnorm, Don, & CPF.

I've not made my disapproval of what I consider to be superflous contours of certain Surefire flashlight products very low key. I've been quite outspoken on this board, and have made my recommendation against such product features in writing to various organizations.

Regardless of their function during the production stages, which I can fully appreciate in order to achieve the final product, features such as the hex bezel and the cooling fins tend to snag and drag during presentation or what I consider to be a mandatory element of an on-body combat inventory - the tactical flashlight. Anything that slows, even by mere milliseconds, the operators ability to place such tools into use is not acceptable. This is akin to impairment of the draw of a sidearm when most needed.

My own choices of illumination tools reflect this philosophy; particularly those that I carry on-body - the Surefire 9N, ASP Taclite, and Inova X5. So too does the Mag Instrument Magcharger, although I do not nor have I ever carried this product on-body.

This new line of Surefires is a positive step towards this concept. I applaud Surefire, LLC, for taking it.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
LitFuse: I've noticed the same thing. Except for Dan and Bulldog, I don't see any other dealers mentioning it, and SF doesn't acknowledge its existence on their website. I DO know one thing for sure, the KL4 is definitely NOT vaporware. It is, in fact, the most visible commercially available light (LED based) that I own to date. Of course Mr Bulk's items are in a class all by themselves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Wouldn't part with ANY of my 5 Watters now, even if somebody PAID me.

Ed.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hello Mr Dot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, I think the new KL series are very sleek; especially the 8AX which I haven't seen yet but judge by the picture.

Sean,

I think SF is using significant mass in these lights for thermal relief via conduction and presumably a fair amount of time will need to transpire for the lights to heat up; especially the larger bezels. I think it is a very safe bet that the larger the bezel, the brighter and tighter the beam.

- Don

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I wonder if one of these LED heads would fit on my 9N. That would breath new life into this old warhorse; not that I'm complaining about it's performance.

Don, no need to be so formal. We're on a first name basis here. Call me Dash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
K. I knew you'd be pleased with these bezels.

Don, the thing that puzzles me, at least in the KL4, is where is this extra mass "hiding"? The KL4 at 1.1oz only outweighs the KL1 (0.9oz) by 0.2oz.

BN

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Maybe they don't get hot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
treek13 said:
To download the PDF version of the catalog click here!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic! Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would someone identify the the lights in the pic please?

I can't read the lables. My dialup is too slow to navigate the PDF and the catalogue link is failing.

roguesw

Enlightened
is it just me or the kl5 looks a bit too stubby, and should be more streamlined?
compared to all the rest, it just looks like a club
i hope they do more cosmetic changes to it

A

an000

Did any notice the inconsistency of the battery life for the L1?
On SF web site, L1 is rated for 5 hour at max output (15 lumens), but the KL1 on E1 is only rated for 1.5 hour at max output (16 lumens).
In the catalog both the L1 and KL1 on E1 are rated at 1.5 hour at max output?
Any L1 owners? Has anyone that owns both L1 & KL1 on E1 body done any comparisons between the two?