Need a AA or AAA light between 24.6 and 26.9mm in diameter.

dom1104

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I am trying to find a GOOD light to put into this mount for my gun.

The light that normally comes with it is only 65 lumens.

I have a few fenix and nitecore lights I really love but they are AA and in the .85mm range, too small to fit.

The "RLS mount will accommodate any hand-held compact light in the range of .970" (24.6mm) - 1.060" (26.9mm) in diameter"

And what I would really love is if there was a 1AA light within that range on the tube diameter, or a really well constructed 3xAAA light.

It seems I have a lot of options in the CR123 battery, but I dont own any of those and I hate to not be able to use my stash of AA and AAA rechargeables.

Any options I might be missing?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
think the reason that lots of lights for guns use CR123s or RCR123s is cos they provide more power at 3.0v than AAs at 1.2 - 1.5v.

Perhaps you could consider getting some heat shrink to bulk up an AA light so it fits the mount? Or even just wind some tape around it till it fits. Most of the AA lights use tailcap clickys anyway so some tape round the barrel wouldnt hurt that.

EDIT: that way the entire range of AA lights would be available to you wouldnt it?

mbw_151

Enlightened
You can use a light normally run on 3 x 123 cells with a Malkoff M30 module and 2 AA cells. Something like a Surefire 9P works fine. You might want to put a thin shim in to keep the cells from rattling in the tube.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're dead set on 1xAA, just get a Surefire 6P (or equivalent), a drop-in module that can run on a AA (there are a few), wrap the AA in paper to keep in from rattling in the wider tube, and use a conductive spacer to make up the length difference.

There are some fat AA lights (ICON's, for example), but I doubt they'd be suitable for a weapon light.

Personally, I'd run 2xAA in a 3x123 as previously suggested, unless the length will be a problem.