most versatile small host

wingnutLP

Enlightened
Hi,

I have tried to stay away from custom lights and Li batteries because I can't afford to keep buying more lights but I think the time has come...

The Fenix TK40 is a great light and is fine for keeping in the car but it is way to heavy to carry on the offchance that you will need it. I have found that although I need a light almost every day I can't justify carrying a big light in my bag and the lights that are getting use dmost are the AAA keychain one and the single CR123 that I do EDC in my bag.

On those grounds I would like to get something smaller than a TK40 but bigger than a single CR123 that is very bright and has multiple modes.

Cost is not really an issue as long as it is less than $300.

I would like to be able to upgrade it as new emmiters are released.

So I have decided that the best bet is probaby to get a host for drop in's.

What would people recommend is the best most versatile smallish host that will be futre proof?

I am thinking a Surefire 6p bored to accept 18650 batteries is probably the answer but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Are there any particular disadvantages of the 6p over other hosts?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pondering pretty much the same questions. I haven't purchased a 18650 P60 host yet, but from the reading and discussion I've had, the consensus seems to be that most of the differences in the mid- and upper-tier hosts are subjective (mostly cosmetic).

Apparently you can't go wrong with any of the following:
Lumens Factory Seraph
SolarForce L2 and variants
Dereelight CL1H
Any P60 Surefire host that can be bored for 18650.

I'm sure there are other quality hosts out there, but these 4 seem to get the most discussion here on CPF.

Good luck!

--flatline

JohnF

Enlightened
My most versatile P60 host was also my cheapest - Solarforce L2M with the accessory tube extension for adding a 2nd 123.

Allows me to use 1 or 2 CR123A's or Lion rechargeables (depending on voltage range of the drop in) or a single 18650 for most any of my drop ins.

John F

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
You might want to look into the Malkoff MD2. It only accepts Malkoff drop-ins, but Malkoff consistently improves his products as new technology comes along. On the plus side, the drop-ins will fit in nearly any P60 host

My favorite cheaper host is the Dereelight CL1H which requires no boring to accept 18650.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite cheaper host is the Dereelight CL1H which requires no boring to accept 18650.

Could you please go into more detail about what you like (and don't like) about your CL1H? I'm looking to get a P60 host and am trying to decide where to start. If you can compare it other popular lights (like the Solarforce L2 or LumenFactory Seraph) that would be even better.

--flatline

wingnutLP

Enlightened
Can you explain why you prefer the C2 to the P6 for example please?

Is it extra grip, the added strength and durability? Why should I go for the C2 rather than the P6?

I was considering the MD2 in orange as one option but I would like the option of multiple cells and it seems that Malkoff doesn't do an extender unfortunately :(