need suggestions - small, multi-mode, floody

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
hi guys. i'm looking for a very small single cell, floody light to use around the house and for 'up-close' tasks..
...under $40(as inexpensive as possible) and uses AAA, AA, or rechargable batteries(ideally).
2 or 3 modes would be nice..but single mode would work.
any suggestions?

i'm considering the quark mini, but would prefer a light that can powered with rechargables.

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
If you could bump your budget up to $50, you could get one of the best floody lights. . . A Zebralight headlamp. Across the board, people needing even floodlight for close up tasks praise the Zebralight. The zebralight puts out a perfect and clean flood beam and having both your hands free to work. I have done maintenance on my Jeep using only this light and never realized that I forgot to turn on the garage lights.

For your budget, the H50 ordered directly from Zebralight is probably the best option. Go to the headlight forum and read up on Zebralights and you will be very impressed.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You might want to consider the Quark Mini AA. About as small as it gets for a 1AA, multi-mode, fairly floody (I think), and about $37 shipped (using CPF8 discount code). There are surely cheaper lights around, but all things considered a great buy.

Geoff

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the zebralights. I own the H501, the low mode is ideal for reading at night without wakin up the missus and navigatin with dark adapted eyes. Medium is good for most tasks and high is well..... BRIGHT!

I use mine on eneloops or 14500s but see no difference in output using either. I'd stay away from alkalines as they leak.

Take a look at zebralight's site to see what they have, if you need more light than what the H501 can give you, just get a larger zebralight. I think it would be perfect for up close tasks as usually up close requires BOTH hands :D

you might want to consider also getting the warm tints (H501W, H60W) if you need to distinguish colors accurately.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix E20 or the Romisen RC-29 would work perfectly for you, but they are only one mode.
If you would be willing to use cr123's, you could get a romisen rc-c6 from shiningbeam which is the same as the rc-29 but has 2 modes and uses cr123's.

I really love my rc-29 though these days so it is def worth checking out.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Flying Turtle on the Quark Mini AA. Very small, and only $36.00 shipped with the CPF8 discount code. Can take NiHM rechargeable batteries for long run times with good regulation. The new Duracell NiHM's are low self discharge with great shelf life.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I'll echo the Zebralight: it's a fantastic light that's all flood. It's tiny, and you could probably pick up a used one for around your price range.

(Note that I've had a few issues with their clickies failing, but their twisties - i.e. the H501 - have never failed me. Great light!)

The Quarks are nice, and are a great EDC light, but I've found Quarks to have a fairly tight hotspot that may not be as good for the "close up" flood use you're seeking. FYI.

- FITP

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Note that I've had a few issues with their clickies failing, but their twisties - i.e. the H501 - have never failed me. Great light!)

H501 also has a switch, did you mean another model? :thinking:

Like to echo the other members vote for the Zebralight (I have the H501). It is THE MOST USEFUL light I own for around the house chores/repairs bar none. Works great tail standing or in the headband in which case it's perfect for working on the car.

The new SC30 model has much better throw but IMO not so great when used with the supplied head band due to the issues cited in my mini-review.

Cheers,
Tim