the Mega 100 Led flashlight - get ready...

Vapor

Newly Enlightened
:crackup:So just a little humor break....

I hope this isn't confused with advertising (it is actually the exact opposite)

I was browsing around youtube flashlight videos and came across this gem of an infomercial. While seeing this video I couldn't help but chuckle and I figured some people at CPF would enjoy it too.

So forget about your Surefires, Fenixes, malkoff drop ins, quarks, dereelights, etc... I present to you the :bow: MEGA 100 led flashlight :bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VRiI_tozCY

My favorite quote: "I try not to shine it directly into the camera because I do not want to damage the camera."

also love the comparison with the "good 2-led flashlight" that seems worse than my dollar store special.
hope u guys enjoy :)

joshconsulting

Enlightened
"You can use this for Search and Rescue! You can use this if your a ranger! You know, most other product on the market have 5, 2, 3, 1 LEDS - but this one has 100! You can even count them! I even use this at my house when the lights go out because it is the strongest flashlight availbile! This would light up your whole hosue when the lights go out! When your in the dark, what do you want? You want the brightest light availbile! The power of 100 LEDs is unmatched, there is NO other flashlight in the market with 100 LEDs! Typically a flashlight with this much power and this much light intensity would be huge!"

I couldn't make this stuff up. My favorite is the comments, both of them fell for it. We CPFers need to make a brochure or something to educate the public :duh2:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOOO! Strongest possible flashlight available, he said. This is a catastrophy for Fenix!
I just can imagine all the TK40 who will be sold out at a low price when the owners buy this amazing 100LED flashlight instead! :tinfoil:

Seriously; how many lumens such a flashlight produce, anyone who knows? It should provide decent brightness with 4AA and 100 5mmLED or... :confused:

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, i cannot get over those 2 presenters gushing over the light, maybe pre-flashaholic days i mighta gotten one of those.

Also, this might get shifted to the Cafe (or it may not) :D

EDIT: to try and keep it here, let's have a general 'discussion' on that light, specifications were pretty rare, but from the outdoor shots, the light had a very fierce blue tint, anybody can hazard a guess as to what LEDs they were using?

joshconsulting

Enlightened
It's funny how to most people # of LEDS = brightness. My friend bought a 3 LED light and couldn't stop praising it (it was hilariously dim, 40-50 lummens at the most and a very deep blue). I wanted to let him have his fun so I bit my tongue and kept my L2p SST-50 in my pocket. The next time we were togethere another friend asked to see his 'super bright triple flashlight'. I figured it was time to put a stop to the nonsense, and pulled out the L2p. My friend said it looked nice, but it obviously couldn't compare to a ***Triple*** LED light. I always make sure I have the SST-50's memory on high, so I let him figure out how to push the button while looking in the emitter. It was a fairly small, dark room so not only did it blind him, it lit up the room like daylight. You could hardly see the beam of his ***Triple*** LED light in the darkest corner.

It's always a struggle to keep it in my pocket when I see someone who's just gotten a new cheapo flashlight (i.e. minimag solitare, 5x5mm light headlamp etc. etc.), I want to show it off but I don't want to make people with new purchases feel bad :(

I always try to balance it off by telling them the cost afterwords, but if they get too confident after that I pull out the K-106 and tell them it was $17. The 200 lummens from a tiny light + a small, intense hotspot is quite impressive by itself, and given that it's brighter, smaller, and cheaper then basically ANY other light I've seen in the hands of a non flashaholic, it's downright awe-inspiring.

I do wonder what the actual lummens are. I guess it depends on how hard they are driving the LEDs, but it can't be that great with 4xAAs, and the LEDs have to be the cheapest possible.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
and the LEDs have to be the cheapest possible.

yeah, and they sold it for that price cos they had to cover the expenses incurred for the TV spot. Love that story, had occasion to do that once in a while too. It's especially funny when our lights are like 1/10 the size of theirs :D

Jida

Newly Enlightened
I got a multi LED light before (the kind that you see at the checkot stand) because it has white/green LEDs and a laser.

Just wanted something to play with around the house and make the animals chase the laser.

3aaa type setup.

It puts out that diffuse non-hotspot kind of light.

Not bad for what it is and what it cost but it is not anything that 90 more LEDs would help.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
According to the review posted, it's roughly 90 lummens (equilvalnt to the L1D CE, with about half the throw). The runtime graph is amazingly bad. Given that the L1d is around the same price, is FAR smaller (1xAA instead of 4xAA, the head is WAY smaller), and build quality compared to the Mega 100 is VASTLY superior.

In short, it's less then half the output, 8 times the size, and 2 times the price inferior quality compared to the cheaper AKOray K-106. I love that light :)

Vapor

Newly Enlightened
According to the review posted, it's roughly 90 lummens (equilvalnt to the L1D CE, with about half the throw). The runtime graph is amazingly bad. Given that the L1d is around the same price, is FAR smaller (1xAA instead of 4xAA, the head is WAY smaller), and build quality compared to the Mega 100 is VASTLY superior.

In short, it's less then half the output, 8 times the size, and 2 times the price inferior quality compared to the cheaper AKOray K-106. I love that light :)

Lol, i didnt think this would actually lead to a discussion of specs but hey, this is CPF after all :popcorn:

But from what I read on that review site, it seems that the calculation you would use to figure out lumens would be to take the comparison number and multiply it by 1.39 for an LED light. Thus...

40 x 1.39 = 55.6 lumens of light ?

Where are you getting the 90 lumens from? Am i not reading this correctly? Don't know, but wow 55 lumens for 100 Leds..... I guess he wasn't lying or anything about this thing being "super bright"....

oh infomercials

Last edited:

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Comparison chart was 40, L1D was 42 on turbo, 38 on high, rated for 80 lumens on high 90 on turbo. I had forgotten about the comparison chart to lumens conversion, but Fenix could be overrating their lights as well.

pipsqueakspace

Newly Enlightened
hahaha, search and rescue huh? i think he meant that if you decided to use this light for outdoor activities you would need to be searched for and rescued yourself.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the people that buy these don't have a clue about lights. All they see is 100 LED's, and assume it's gonna be good.

Would love to see how my Lummi Raw with an SST-50 would compare to that.:nana: