What *else* accepts the pins from the NewBeam?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm planning a project involving use of a NewBeam module with higher capacity batteries, such as 2D, or perhaps 4AA in two parallel sets of 2AA, to achieve runtimes on the order of 24+ hours. The goal is to achieve a light I can stand on its tailcap, splashing light off the room's ceiling for use during a power outage. The MiniMag that the NewBeam's designed for (in other words, 2AA configuration) just doesn't offer enough battery life for my design goal.

The question is, what other readily-available flashlights, if any, use pin-type bulbs so I could plug a NewBeam module into them? Hopefully such lights will stand on the tailcap. Also, note that aesthetics don't matter all that much, and I don't mind having to shave down the reflector a bit or perform similar tasks to make the NewBeam fit.

In addition to flashlights, anyone know of a cheap socket, connector, or other such gadget I could buy at Radio Shack or similar places to plug into the NewBeam, in the event that I build my own case from scratch?

paulr

Flashaholic
The whole point of the Newbeam is its step-up converter that lets it run on two 1.5v cells. If you can run with more cells I'd say don't bother with the regulation. Get yourself a 3C Tek-Tite light which will run for hundreds of hours.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
The whole point of the Newbeam is its step-up converter that lets it run on two 1.5v cells. If you can run with more cells I'd say don't bother with the regulation. Get yourself a 3C Tek-Tite light which will run for hundreds of hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, you're absolutely right, although I was planning on using the NewBeam precisely because it is regulated. I have some specific design goals in mind, such as 24+ hours runtime with light output at the 24+ hour mark still sufficient to bounce off the ceiling and see the furniture in the room. Also, my family has standardized on AA due to general availability, ridiculously cheap costs when purchased in bulk, easy storage, etc. This post describes in more detail what I'm designing.

Anyway, in the end it's entirely possible that the NewBeam won't be the best choice, but right now it seems like a good approach given my criteria.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Milkyspit,

The NewBeam will run on 4xAA's in series as well if you need it to.

- Don

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

What's the maximum voltage will the NewBeam be able to take? Also, is it more efficient for it to step up or to step down?

Thanks!

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Opalec said (on their support page):
...We now build the NewBeam with either of two control circuits, which have different voltage ranges. One version will operate up to 8-9 Volts, although the LED current regulation begins to degrade above about 6 Volts. The other version only operates up to a little over 5 Volts, and then draws excessive current above about 6 Volts and will be damaged. You can tell the two apart by looking with a magnifier at the parts under the clear epoxy. If you see a rectangular silver colored part labeled "1B", you have the version which works above 5 volts. If you do not see this part, you have the lower voltage version. Again please be aware that we do not encourage use of the NewBeam above the standard 2 x 1.5 volts. If you want to do custom work, please keep these limitations in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opalec support page

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Milkyspit,

The NewBeam will run on 4xAA's in series as well if you need it to.

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Don. I hadn't realized this was possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, I like some of the lights you've been designing, though I don't have one (yet). Keep it up!

John Frederick

Enlightened
Scott, I understand your desire to use the Opalec. There is something really cool about that little piece of engineering. I used one as a night light for my kids the other night as we had lost power during Tropical Storm Bill. I think it'd be great rigged up into one of those cheap Energizer lantern battery flashlights. It would tail-stand and it should run a loooong time. I may have to try and mod one for myself.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wonder how long a newbeam would run on 2 c or 2 d cells...i know it would be a BIG light, and not terribly bright, but WOW--the runtime would be spectacular!

Bob

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
i wonder how long a newbeam would run on 2 c or 2 d cells...i know it would be a BIG light, and not terribly bright, but WOW--the runtime would be spectacular!

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob, in theory a D cell has roughly six times the stored energy of a AA cell, and runtime charts show the NewBeam lasting 9 hrs. before falling out of regulation, so very roughly, a 2D cell NewBeam might run for 6x9 = 54 hours! Well into the third continuous day of operation at the same brightness as when first turned on. Outstanding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif