First purchase of 2010 and I'm very impressed with my 3AAA Sunlite Slim so far!!!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Sunlite Slim yesterday with the 100 lumen 3W warm LED head and red LED head option. I am impressed with the clicky and overall operation of the light. It has a forward (tactical) style clicky and no silly modes to mess with. Simple and bright, exactly how I like it. The red LED head is a good wavelength, it seems to be the same depth of red as my old red Surefire KL1 head, only it is a bit brighter. Maybe a bit too bright, but time will tell on that. The thing I want to do next is locate a filter that will fit on the red LED head to smooth out the beam like the Surefire beam filter does on my red KL1. I will probably end up purchasing an extra Sunlite Slim body just for the red LED head as well.

The 100 lumen warm LED head is exceedingly bright and has a much better warm tint than my cold tinted cheapo led lights. My taste is skewed toward orange because I am an incan person and I am very picky when it comes to LED's. This is a really nice one and the beam is perfectly patterned with a nice wide spill beam and decent hot spot considering the reflector's small size. The reflector is quite deep considering the small size of the different heads. They appear to use every millimeter to make the best reflector possible in this small size.

I did purchase some of the PC board spacers, but I doubt they will ever be necessary. At least I hope not. They through in an extra rubber head guard as well. I would like to see this rubber guard be made available with a filter in the future. There are so many nice options available for this light, it is just about perfect!!! There are UV heads in different wavelengths, different length head extenders for working under the hood and wherever. There is a headlamp option. This is the most under rated light out there right now IMO!!! Go to http://www.powerledlighting.com/ and check them out!!! :twothumbs

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I first heard of Sunlite lights in this good HKJ review of AAA's:

Beamshots newer AAA lights including penlights

Their penlights and modular stuff looks good. Have they been making flashlights long? I guess I'm not paying close-enough attention.

Their stuff is awesome, and the prices seem reasonable. I only recently heard about them when reading reviews as well. I have been looking for such a light to come out for a long time now.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their lights are great, i first started out with the 3AAA pen light and then got several of there other lights, great thing is there all interchangeable heads & all there outputs are out the front lumens.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just sent them a question regarding a beam diffuser accessory for the colored led heads. I'm also thinking, maybe I can just buy some diffuser material, or cut up a Surefire F04 and cut it out the size of the head and slip it in between the head and rubber sleeve.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I've been sporting one for 2 years and love it. I am curious if the newer versions use a different LED.

They are always improving on their led efficiency and life cycle. I have one of the first 8w heads, and then recently got another, and there is a world of difference in the brightness. If you don't have a recent light from them, you should get one.

I agree with the original poster....Sunlite is very underrated.

Check out some of the reviews I've done....they are in my sig.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am currently running it on some old AAA's that are now around 1.2v and I am still getting over 60 lumens easily if not more. I love this light. It fits in my work shirt pocket so easily. :twothumbs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just caved last night, I will let you know.

1brightguy

Newly Enlightened
I just got the 12WFP Thursday. I was amazed by it. It's the same size as the 8w with just about the same spill and light output as the 16WFP. This was at about 20ft. I haven't got to test it farther than that just yet. It's pretty hard to tell the diffrance from the 12WFP to the 16WFP when they are both lite side by side. Only thing that gives it away is the 12WFP has a slight donut in the middle of it. Both wit the OP reflector.

BTW I replaced my 8W with the 12WFP and will be saleing my 16WFP to a coworker. The 12WFP is the head to have, especially if you plan to carry it with the 2,200/2,600 turbo body. They also offer the higher output side switch to up the power to the LED for 6 bucks.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be selling my Preon II Titanium because I need the funds to cover a mod. However, it would give me some peace of mind if I knew of a viable replacement to look forward to in the future. The Sunlite Slim 3W 3xAAA neutral white 100 lumen is currently at the top of my future list. Here goes:

1) Is the 3xAAA version regulated?
2) How bright/flat would the output on three Eneloops be?
3) Do we know the maker of the LED, model, tint, and efficiency bin?

I have my left arm in a sling which makes typing laborious, so I will say "Thank you!" and post more once I am back to two arms.

:)

LEDAdd1ct

HKJ

Flashaholic
I may be selling my Preon II Titanium because I need the funds to cover a mod. However, it would give me some peace of mind if I knew of a viable replacement to look forward to in the future. The Sunlite Slim 3W 3xAAA neutral white 100 lumen is currently at the top of my future list. Here goes:

1) Is the 3xAAA version regulated?
2) How bright/flat would the output on three Eneloops be?
3) Do we know the maker of the LED, model, tint, and efficiency bin?

I have my left arm in a sling which makes typing laborious, so I will say "Thank you!" and post more once I am back to two arms.

The Sunlite lights are direct drive and they uses their own leds bounded directly to the head.

I did a review of them some time ago, but it was in danish, here is a link that includes google translate.

moerush04

Newly Enlightened
I have been playing with the Sunlite Slim Jr. and the 3W 100-120 (claimed) lumen lights for the past month or so and really like them. I actually passed up the 4Sevens Preon2 for this light. It is simple one click on and off AAA and AAAA light. Though AAAA batteries are not as readily available as the AAA's. Here is some photos I would like to share. First Photo post for this flashaholic... well enlightened according to CPF. We will see if they get shot down. It is interesting that the Slim JR has a very distinct hotspot while the Slim 3W does not have a hotspot.
IMG_20110724_133905.jpg

Two lights together.
IMG_20110724_133634.jpg

Slim 3W 100 lumens.
IMG_20110724_133521.jpg

Slim LED. It has a small dot in the corner that on close inspection on a white wall is a noticeable artifact.
IMG_20110724_133947.jpg

Sorry if some of the images are poor quality. I tried to do beamshots, but it is hard with a camera phone. I will play with it more later but I do not have distance or exposure references so it might not help someone looking to purchase one much.

Last edited: