Anyone familiar with this light?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say it's probably a little over exaggerated.

Look at the Fenix TK30. They claim 370 lumens for one hour with two primaries using the MC-E.

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
You wont get 700 lumens out of an MC-E with 2 CR123's. An MC-E with 1x18650 only gets 385 lumens according to https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3239083&postcount=8

Since that light has poor heatsinking to begin with, it won't get 700 for long because the fact that the emitter will overheat from all that buildup (unless you are using it in a cold environment), and due to voltage sag at high current draw. Expect a max of 400 lumens, IF you're lucky!

Hell, with EIGHT AA's, the Fenix TK40 wont even get 700 lumens!

Here's the TK40:
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_85&products_id=696

~Brian
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3239083&postcount=8

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened
Thats what I thought. Lots of output with not much power to back it up.

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened
Spend your 100 bucks on something ALOT better :twothumbs

Oh there's a back story to this.

I have a 6P with a malkoff M60 drop in. I love the light and it performs great. A guy I work with wanted a similar light so I bought him (with his money) an MD2 with the same drop in. He liked it. Fast forward a few weeks and he says he has the above mentioned light and that the Malkoff is garbage in comparison.

Personally I think he's full of it and I think the claims made by the light manufacturer are BS. 750 lumens and 1.5 hr runtime :tinfoil: I don't think so.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not get a P7/MC-E/SST-50/SST-90 light that runs off CR123A batteries.

And stay away from RCR123A! The light would be drawing 1.6A (buck circuit) to 2.8A (dropping resistor). The max safe current for RCR123A is 1.4A. So :poof: is likely.
Uh-oh. Just read the specs again. 2 mode tailcap switch usually means dropping resistor. I would not use CR123A either. Hope the tube is wide enough for 18650.

'750 L' probably came from a Cree spec somewhere. Just like '900 L' came from the OLD SSC spec for C bin P7 740 to 900 L. (In reality most of the P7s were between 700 to 800 emitter L at 2.8A reflected in the NEW C bin spec)
As to runtime many manufacturers claim runtime until the LED conks out (not to 50% brightness). Or '750 L' at 1 sec to 1 L at 1.5 hours.

A floody 400 L is more useful than a 225 L spot at closer distances.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A MCE/P7 light will give more output than the Malkoff drop in, but the MCE//P7 do not usually throw as far.
Oh there's a back story to this.

I have a 6P with a malkoff M60 drop in. I love the light and it performs great. A guy I work with wanted a similar light so I bought him (with his money) an MD2 with the same drop in. He liked it. Fast forward a few weeks and he says he has the above mentioned light and that the Malkoff is garbage in comparison.

Personally I think he's full of it and I think the claims made by the light manufacturer are BS. 750 lumens and 1.5 hr runtime :tinfoil: I don't think so.

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened
The guy said he left it on for ten minutes and it got extremely hot. I asked what happens if he needs to search an area longer than ten minutes and he said he'd wear gloves :rolleyes: