What is the attraction to the SureFire L4?

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
I'm not very knowledgable on the L4 from SureFire so, please help me figure out what I am missing.

What is it that the L4 has over the other ~65 Lumen incadescent SureFire flashlights? Aren't operation costs about the same? Run time seems about the same too. What is it I am missing?

THANKS!

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sid, the attraction is that the L4 is not a 65 Lumen incandescent, it is a 65 lumen 5Watt Luxeon Star LED, no bulbs to break or replace!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif It is the first 5W luxeon to be offered in such a small package. And this thread should be moved to the LED forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It also comes with the new E series clickie tailcap, stock.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
Did I post in the wrong forum again? That's what I get for having two browser sessions open on CPF, after all, one just isn't enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is breaking lamps something that occurs that frequently? Or, is it a gadget factor thing? Personally, I have not found that to be an issue with my E2. Along that line of thought, I don't see a significant cost savings over the long run which is why I buy LED lights.

LukeK

Enlightened
Well, from what I have seen, incandescants are very sensitive to shock. I was out camping with my cousins just two weeks ago. My eldest cousin and I snuck up behind my youngest cousin in the dark around 2 in the morning, swiftly grabbed the back of his chair and threw him to the ground. We got exactly the reaction we wanted, but as he hit the ground his 6D mag (turned on at the time) also made contact. Unsurprisingly it immediately went off and would not start back up. So yes, incandescants are sensitive to shock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MicroE

Enlightened
Sid--To me, the attractions are the COLOR and the BEAMSPREAD.

The L4 is WHITE. It's not a yellowish incandescent.
The L4 has a good amount of spill around the central hot spot. This makes it very useful for finding stuff in the dark.

Also, it is REGULATED for the first hour, so it is very predictable: Lots of bright light followed by hours of less-bright light.

I always find myself swapping out the batteries of my incandescent lights after 20 or 30 minutes because the color change and light output change too much after that.
(Exception: My A2).---Marc

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bulbs only last 15-30 hours on average, even if you don't break them they can burn out when you need them the most. The L4 doesn't have that problem.

And as far as beamspread and color (tint) does this help:

l4comp3.jpg

l43way.jpg

l4beamshot7.jpg

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Great shots Sean, I especially like the last pair.

If you don't have an A2, it's output is just slightly less than an E2e [I think it is 50 vs 60 lumens respectively]. The incandescents will definitely out throw the L4, but the L4 has its own advantages as shown above.

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
THANKS!

15 to 30 hours is a lot of run time in my world. I'm not a soldier or cop so, I guess I view the bulb burnout issue a little differently then some.

As far as shock bulb breakage goes, I guess the bulb filaments used in my lights are tougher then your generic Wally-World flashlight bulbs. I don't really recall when I lost my last bulb in a "good" flashlight to shock issues.

Sean, those pictures are awesome. Thank you specifically for taking them and posting!

It looks like I will be in the market for one now. Thanks (with a little sarcasm) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Dang'it Sean, I just freaking ordered my LSH-P and haven't even had a chance to enjoy it yet... would you mind not doing stuff like this?

I'm having enough trouble trying to figure out how I'm going to sneak the Arc into the house without having to try and persuade her that I need another "Last Light I'll Ever Need"

_Wayne_

Newly Enlightened
Surefire confusing?

I'm an ARC fan myself, but a couple of times I've gone to the Surefire web site and have found it confusing. For example, I just spent 10 minutes or so trying to find any mention of the L4 and couldn't find it.

I've tried this with a couple of other models mentioned in these forums and had to resort to stepping through the various applications categories to find those models.

Is it just me or is their site full and complete, but poorly organized?

Also, could anyone provide a URL to their L4 page?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire confusing?

I have been unable to find many parts and accessories not listed on their website or in the catalogue they sent me. I'm not sure why they do this but I'm sure it ultimately cuts into potential sales and is irritating as well.

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened

The SureFire website is incomplete. Specifically, I do not believe the L4 is mentioned anywhere on it.

I personally find it poorly organized as well. Now, add a few busted links /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think it is safe to say they do not cater to the on-line crowd. I'm heading to a Police Supply Store myself to get what I hope to be more meaningful information.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

the L4 is still a new product, therefore they might not be producing the L4 in sufficient quantities to warrant placing it on their website, which would probably generate even more sales. the A2 was available for sale for a while before it was listed on the website and even then, it was on a backordered status.

richpalm

Banned

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Right now the only place you can get the L4 is from a few dealers. Look in the Dealer Corner for were you can buy the L4.

If you want more pics and info, you can go to my web site or look at the many other threads started about the L4 in this (LED) section. Surefire doesn't put new lights up on their website until their is sufficient stock available for them and dealers. You can give them a call though.