Is there a flashlight better than the Eagle Tac P20A2 for my use?

sajohnson

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post here on candlepower forums.

I have read both the "Welcome Mat" thread (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172991) and the "Flashlight Recommendation Checklist" (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96884)

I have a question that I'm sure gets asked a lot. In it's most basic form it is -- what is the best flashlight?

Per the "Flashlight Recommendation Checklist" thread, I'll try to narrow down what I'm looking for to make it easier for folks to help me decide.

My additional comments are preceded by [***]:

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will probably be mail-ordering or buying online, so this may not matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in _Middletown, MD.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I could spend $40-60.
____I am willing to spend $80-$120.

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

*** I currently use three (3) quick-charge 2,400 mAh NiMH Duracell AAs in my LED Mini Maglite, and in my Streamlight LED headlamp. They seem to work fine. I like the idea of being able to use any AA battery in a pinch. Which brings up another issue -- in the research I've done, I've seen that some mfrs (like Streamlight) specify alkaline batteries _only_, and say the use of any other type of battery will void the warranty. I'd prefer a flashlight that is designed to use any type of AA battery.

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

*** This is a tough one. I really need all of the above, so I'm looking at AA LED flashlights with multiple power level settings.

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

*** Another tough one. I work night shift for a subway system (Metro) doing electro-mechanical and electronic maintenance work. For walking along the tracks I like a light with a fairly decent throw but when working on wayside equipment, more of a flood is better.

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

*** Once again, all of the above. It's nice to have a high-intensity light for signaling (and to impress coworkers!) but it's important that the light have an 8+ hour runtime so that worst-case, it will run for an entire shift. I've seen some that have a reasonable output (60 to 70 lumens) for at least 6.5 hours -- that's pretty good.

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

*** Somewhere between the two above.

8) Switch Type:

____I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

9) Switch Location:

____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.

*** This isn't hyper-critical. I'm just tired of the Maglight 'twist' on/off switch. Something that can be operated with one hand is preferable.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

*** Since I work around high voltage, plastic would be safer but I've used my Maglite for years without incident. It seems that most of the high quality lights are anodized aluminum -- if I have to go that way that's ok.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster

*** My Mini Mag came with a ballistic nylon holster which I like. It has held up very well, but is more flexible than most stiff leather holsters, which has been a plus since a 3 AA cell light is rather long (8+ inches) and tends to catch on things.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF sajohnson.

I think the P20A2 would be a very good choice for your needs. For a few questions you answered "all of the above", which means, in practical terms, that you'll need more than one light if you want to have every base covered. If you could find a light that can do almost everything well, you probably won't want to pay that much and might not want to use it working in subway tubes, for fear of loosing it.
For up close work I would suggest supplementing the P20A2 with a Zebralight AA headlamp so you can have both hands free. Due to its side emitter design it is barely bigger than an AA battery and is so lightweight you hardly know its there. Even with the strap it folds up and can fit in a small pocket.
I suggest using the low self-discharge AA rechargeables, also referred to as "Pre-Charged". They are very stable and predictable.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Jetbeam RRT-0 from Lightjunction.com, and it has 5 light settings controlled by a ring selector for bright when you need it to low for long runtimes or low low for even longer runtime. It also runs on AA batteries, CR123 batteries, RCR123 and 14500 batteries.

njet212

Enlightened
Is there a flashlight better than the Eagle Tac P20A2 for my use?

Yes there is better Flashlight than the Eagle Tac P20A2, it's 4sevens Quark AA^2. IMO, this flashlight is really worth every cent's you've spent for this light. It's got 10 years warranty, bunch of decent accessories, versatile flashlight ( you could mount it at your cap to serve as headlamp ), strong pocket clip.

kwkarth

Enlightened
One of my favorite lights is the P20C2 Neutral White. It has great throw, and three well chosen levels. I've experienced superior customer service and after sales support from Mike @ PTS lights with Eagle Tac products. They also carry the Elzetta ZFL-M60 which is an awesome light too.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/

sajohnson

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF sajohnson.

I think the P20A2 would be a very good choice for your needs. For a few questions you answered "all of the above", which means, in practical terms, that you'll need more than one light if you want to have every base covered. If you could find a light that can do almost everything well, you probably won't want to pay that much and might not want to use it working in subway tubes, for fear of loosing it.
For up close work I would suggest supplementing the P20A2 with a Zebralight AA headlamp so you can have both hands free. Due to its side emitter design it is barely bigger than an AA battery and is so lightweight you hardly know its there. Even with the strap it folds up and can fit in a small pocket.
I suggest using the low self-discharge AA rechargeables, also referred to as "Pre-Charged". They are very stable and predictable.

Thanks LED Thrift.

I'm leaning toward the P20A2 to replace my 3 AA LED Mini Maglite as my primary light.

My Streamlight headlamp works pretty well for me, but I've seen some killer headlamps as well -- like the Fenix HP10 LED Headlamp. I may get that as well.

I just got my Jetbeam RRT-0 from Lightjunction.com, and it has 5 light settings controlled by a ring selector for bright when you need it to low for long runtimes or low low for even longer runtime. It also runs on AA batteries, CR123 batteries, RCR123 and 14500 batteries.

Thanks for the suggestion FlashKat.

I like having a variety of options for batteries, and 5 level settings is nice.

The run time on high mode seems a bit short (45 min) but otherwise it looks very nice!

Yes there is better Flashlight than the Eagle Tac P20A2, it's 4sevens Quark AA^2. IMO, this flashlight is really worth every cent's you've spent for this light. It's got 10 years warranty, bunch of decent accessories, versatile flashlight ( you could mount it at your cap to serve as headlamp ), strong pocket clip.

Good suggestion!

In my mind, it's now between the Quark AA 2 and the P20A2.

One of my favorite lights is the P20C2 Neutral White. It has great throw, and three well chosen levels. I've experienced superior customer service and after sales support from Mike @ PTS lights with Eagle Tac products. They also carry the Elzetta ZFL-M60 which is an awesome light too.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/

The P20C2 is very impressive but unless I'm mistaken it does not use standard AA cells. Otherwise, it would be at the top of the list.

Why settle for just one? :thinking:

Well...if money were no object I would have a massive collection! :thumbsup:

For now, I'm looking for a good replacement for my daily carry LED Mini Mag.

I'm sure I won't stop there!