Can you identify this light (and what should I do with it?)

LightChaser

Newly Enlightened
I found this old light among some old junk, and I thought it might be worth salvaging, if not for me, at least for the non-flashaholics in my family.

It's a plastic Energizer branded light with 4 AAs powering a 6v PR incan, and it does double duty as a flashlight and a lantern. I believe the images below will help you identify the light better than any words I can come up with.

size comparison (L-R): unidentified Energizer branded light, SF G2, Fenix LD10
comparison.jpg

in lantern / (upside-down) candle mode

tail switch (yes, I know it's pretty dirty)

the business end

Now for some questions:
- First of all, can anybody identify what light this is?
- I figure it's probably off the market already, but it doesn't hurt to ask - is this still on the market? Maybe in a LED version?
- A better question might be this - are there any other good flashlight / lantern combo lights out now?

Now for some other LED specific questions:
- I remember reading years ago about the EverLED (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/everled.htm). I know the bulb will probably be more expensive than the body I plan to put it in, but I still gotta ask, do you think mating this light and the EverLED is a good idea? If not, what can you suggest?
- Are there other PR sized LED replacements you can suggest? Keep in mind that pretty much the whole light is plastic, so heat could be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still listed at energizer.com\Energizer® Household Flashlights\Energizer 2-in-1 Light

It is a 3V light. If you look carefully it is 2 sets of batteries in parallel for longer runtime. You should be able to run it off 2 batteries in an emergency.

It is REVERSE POLARITY. Standard LED PR bulbs would NOT work.
I tried running mine on a TerraLUX TLE-20. Bi-pin minimag module with a PR adapter. I can flip the module around to reverse the polarity. But the module caught on the reflector when changing from flashlight to lantern and got pulled off.
NOTE: THE CURRENT TLE-20 IS NO LONGER OFFERED WITH THE PR ADAPTER.
The switch died on mine. I tossed it.

-

EDIT

What to do with yours?
The cheapest option is to run it stock on LSD NiMH if you plan to use it a lot. Or the cheapest AA batteries you can find if you use it occasionally.

Energizer claims 5 hours on alkalines, They are running a low powered bulb for runtime. Get a xenon or krypton bulb for more brightness at the expense of runtime.

Last edited:

LightChaser

Newly Enlightened
I feel foolish.

First, I looked through the box I found this in, and found a 3v / 2.4v bulb and not a 6v like I first thought. Of course LEDninja already mentioned that.

Second, I never bothered to check the Energizer website to see if this light was in production. I checked the Flashlight Museum, but not the manufacturer's site.

Anyway, based on LEDninja's comments on the light, I'm scrapping plans of putting a LED in this thing :sigh: - just have to watch out for some other light to mod / play with. I'll put the stock bulb and some fresh cells in it, and leave it out where somebody is bound pick it up and use it.

Thanks for the help!

Kindle

Enlightened
There is a version of the EverLED designed for reverse polarity PR setups.

Search for "EverLED Classic Diamond".

LED-Replacement used to carry them but I'm not sure if they still have any in stock.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think I have the original version of that light from about twenty years ago. No rubber, just yellow plastic with a smooth reflector. It was a pretty decent thrower compared to common lights. I seem to think it was 6v. Tomorrow I'll dig it out and check.

Geoff

LightChaser

Newly Enlightened
There is a version of the EverLED designed for reverse polarity PR setups.

Search for "EverLED Classic Diamond".

LED-Replacement used to carry them but I'm not sure if they still have any in stock.

That's only in a 6-Volt version.

I found it on LEDSupply.com: http://www.ledsupply.com/everled-diamond.php

If it's a reverse polarity version of the EverLED, it should run on anything from 1.5v to 9v, but I haven't found anything explicitly stating that. I just might get the Classic (or maybe the Lambertian) version for a Rayovac light I found around the house (http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/isl2d-b.shtml) that's actually seeing some use now.

As for the Energizer 2-in-1, it seems to be dead. I noticed corrosion on some of the contacts, most likely from leaking alkalines, and despite my best efforts to clean it up, I couldn't get it to light up.

I think I have the original version of that light from about twenty years ago. No rubber, just yellow plastic with a smooth reflector. It was a pretty decent thrower compared to common lights. I seem to think it was 6v. Tomorrow I'll dig it out and check.

Geoff

I checked the bulb, and it's a 2.4v bulb. The name or code of the bulb was printed near the socket and embossed on the bulb, so I'm sure it's not a 6v. Your light may be different, so I hope you find it.

In any case, my light seems to be dead. Its bulb has been donated to the Rayovac swivel light mentioned above as a spare... at least until the EverLED arrives.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
Send it to one of the battery gurus on the forum. They should then fill it will old Li-Ion cells, and in controlled conditions, video it blowing up (the whole venting gas, kaboom thing). They should then post the video on YouTube and link to it in the battery safety section of the forum.

LightChaser

Newly Enlightened
Send it to one of the battery gurus on the forum. They should then fill it will old Li-Ion cells, and in controlled conditions, video it blowing up (the whole venting gas, kaboom thing). They should then post the video on YouTube and link to it in the battery safety section of the forum.

That would be nice... but I have to figure out how much it costs to ship it from halfway around the world, i.e. the Philippines. :thinking: Maybe I should gather some other crappy lights around here, then send them in bulk.