TwinTask Contact Problem

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I have the Streamlight TwinTask 1L and 2L. I've posted a few things about them. I may be able to post a balanced, experienced, review after living with them for a while more, but I want to toss out a critical item right away.

One of them, the 1L, has a contact problem. It flickers, fades, and sometimes won't fire at all when the focus ring is spun out partway. Apparently reflector spring pressure on the plastic electronics housing fixes the contact problem. No problem when cranked all the way down (broad focus). Big problem when focused to the unit's spot (or at least as spotty as the light can get) setting.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to contact Streamlight.

Empath

Flashaholic
That was a problem noted immediately after I got an L1. The real problem is, regardless of the information that comes with it, it's not a focusable flashlight. To back off the bezel any at all makes it unreliable, and doesn't properly align the switch. Just learn to love it as a focused flashlight.

I mentioned this last month in the Reviews forum, along with noting that another error on the packaging occurs on the backside of the blisterpack. It says to install (2) 123 cells, but it's a single cell light.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I noticed the packaging typo too. Streamlight appears to have tried to save a little packaging cost with the 1L and 2L cards. The card backs, including the battery instructions, are identical. The card fronts do list the lights correctly.

Empath, it sounds like you consider the contact problem to be a design problem instead of a manufacturing mistake. I don't think that's the case. My 2L suffers no such problem. The reflector & bezel design are clearly intended for focusing. Dialing the beam tighter makes it more even as well as a more useful spot.

I'll post Streamlight's response, assuming I get one.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 1L, 2L, and 3AA TTs (same bezel) all focus reasonably well, and I have not had any contact problems with any of them.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I've got some results.

Streamlight says that the light should focus and fire regardless of bezel position - tightened, focused, or removed. They recommended that I return the light to my dealer for direct replacement if bought within 30 days (my case). If beyond 30 days, or if I would rather have Streamlight deal with the problem, they asked for the light to be mailed to them w/ the receipt for replacement or repair. Streamlight claims that this is the first they've heard of this problem.

Yesterday I took my light back to my local dealer. At first they claimed that the light isn't supposed to focus, and isn't defective. They changed their tune after we pulled a fresh one off the display, installed the batteries, and compared it with my defective one. The fresh light focused and fired.

The salesman/tech (tech at the battery specialty store where I bought the light) figured out the problem pretty quickly. Turns out that the switch, bulb holder, and positive battery contact functions are all served by a cylindrical plastic assembly. There are, of course, various metal and electronic components within the plastic assembly to perform the functions. The plastic assembly is held in place within the flashlight body by 2 dots of glue. No screws, milled ledges, collars, retaining rings, or other mechanical means to secure the assembly. The 2 glue dots had let go in my light. Backing the bezel off a bit increased the light length, which allows the plastic assembly to slide away from the battery, which in turn reduces or eliminates contact with the battery. Cranking the bezel back down remakes the connections.

TwinTask owners might want to consider the following:

-- Check your light out carefully. If it has this problem, return it to your dealer or Streamlight for replacement. The xenon bulb casts a much more even and useful beam when focused. You want the capability.

-- I haven't done this on my replacement TwinTask, but it seems to me that the problem is easy to fix for good. Make sure the plastic switch/bulb/contact assembly is in the correct location. Run a bead of epoxy around the perimeter of the plastic assembly to lock it securely to the surrounding aluminum housing. You might want to use a 5 minute gel epoxy to ensure that no epoxy will drip down into the plastic assembly and ruin its operation.

It's still a good and high value light, despite these problems.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the 1L and have no plans on buying it but my none of my 3x 3AA TTs and my 3C TT have this problem.

I was thinking of the 2L as one of my next lights to replace the Legend XL as my larger EDC... Does this problem seem to be limited to the 1L or might it carry over into the 2L as well.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
This problem appears to be rare. I think the design aspect that failed on the 1L is also present in the 2L. It could fail similarly. The light will still work w/ the bezel cranked all the way down until you can get it replaced for free. You could also perform the fix I describe above. It's a good light - go ahead!