Arc LSL beam is perfectly even?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catapult

Enlightened
I have read recently about the Arc LSL having a perfectly smooth, even beam. I origninally though that it has some sort of a hotspot, just not as much as the LSH. I have never seen a flashlight with a perfect even flood with no brightness dropoff until the edges of the beam, except for the lights used in a professional video camera I saw one day. Does the LSL really have a perfect even flood, with absolutely no hotspot whatsoever?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it's got a hotspot, but it's a pretty smooth transition into the surrounding corona.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I just made a couple measurements using my Arc LSH-S (high dome LS) and Madmax/Brinkmann (low dome LS). I laid the lights on the floor and used a light meter to measure the width of their hotspots 12" away. I defined "hotspot" as the area whose perimeter is 1/2 the brightness of the beam center.

Results:

High dome = 2 1/2" wide

Low dome = 3 3/4" wide

Both lights transition to a corona to show context. These measurements reinforce my impressions while using the lights. The high dome is somewhat more of a spot, but it's not a dramatic difference. Both lights have serious throw. By far the more significant difference in the two lights is their output. The Madmax is much brighter. When indoors, I often use the Madmax as a "flood" by pointing it to the ceiling. This nicely floods the room with light.

Status
Not open for further replies.