Need Help Finding a WIDE BEAM Pocket LED For a BLIND MAN.

gtarmkr

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I have been tiring to find the best WIDE BEAM Pocket Mini LED flashlight for my father. He is almost blind, and has Macular Degeneration. This means he sees a Black Hole in the middle of his site of view. It is like when you looking straight and only able to see at the outer edges of the black hole. He can read magazines or food menus, but needs a small flashlight that has a WIDE Light beam at about a 1 foot away. All the ones I have found have a tight beam, with a light shadow. These Shadows are what mess him up. What I need is a bright consistent wide beam.

He has one, which works great. It's an older Sharper Image, single LED, and takes 1 cr123a battery. But of course they don't sell them anymore because Sharper Image went out of business. I have tried other single AA flashlights, but the beams are not WIDE. He needs this size to put in his pocket. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JT

MKLight

Enlightened
Check out the Peak LED Solutions thread. Their website is limited, but if you call them the. Will take care of you. They have a wide beam option in a few of their lights. Definitely worth a look! :)

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Consider putting some sort of a diffuser over whatever light you pick. This can help spread the light out further and even it out. Think something with some semi-transparent or white plastic like a plastic cap.

Some of the new XP-G R5 lights have quite wide beams with a lot of spill light. Consider something like the 4Sevens Preon or 4Svens Preon II.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I think the zebralight is a good choice.

The RC-C6 also comes to mind, but I think that may be too bright for just reading.

Lighthearted1

Newly Enlightened
Yes, ZebraLight is probably the best answer to this need. They have two lights that use a single AA battery, and you have your choice of 2 different LED tints. The model I recommend is H501, or H501W. These are the widest beam angles available, and are very high quality. They can be had below $79 delivered, maybe even $10 less some places.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another idea, although maybe I'm going in the wrong direction, but it seems like he doesn't need a ton of light just a very floody light. Maybe a good fauxton like a photon freedom micro. No reflector there is no hotspot really and it should be nice and small and not overly bright.

Lighthearted1

Newly Enlightened
OK, that sounds good too. The H501 has 6 different brightness levels to choose from, so it will have just the one that he needs for sure.
Oh, ZebraLight does make a shorter one if you like CR123. They cost less as well as being smaller. H30

I forgot to mention that I have an Ultrafire WF-606A Q5 that uses 2 AA batteries and has an aluminum reflector giving a long throw beam. However, if you unscrew the bezel and remove the reflector it changes to a very wide emitter beam. Just put the glass lens back with the bezel if you want, or use it without. It also converts to a shorty using the CR2 battery if you think 2 AA is too long. A Chinese supplier sells it under $20 delivered. It is one brightness only, ON/OFF. At 12 inches it throws a 12.5 inch smooth and even circle of light.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Peak LED Solutions thread. Their website is limited, but if you call them the. Will take care of you. They have a wide beam option in a few of their lights. Definitely worth a look! :)

+1

Peak's Eiger is available in a wide beam configuration and it might be very suitable in this case. As for pocketing, it can be had in either a single AAA format or in a 2XAAA penlight version. I now carry a Peak wide beam Eiger penlight constantly and love it.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/244743

carrot

Flashaholic
The Inova X5 is an excellent flood light, and has exactly the characteristics you describe. It is easy to use and reliable as well. You can buy them at Target in store or online at Battery Junction.

gtarmkr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's help. I will have to try some of your suggestions. The smaller the better is best for him. A single AA or a single cr123a, would be the best bet. I tried the ones with the bubble Lenz, but they were not bright enough. He needs super bright, with a wide beam. I think I will try one of those Zebralite's first. Thanks for all the help, this is an awesome forum.