Looking for 600+ lumen floodlight <$80

joe1512

Enlightened
Man, I have been reading this forum and looking on DX, etc.

Heres what I am torn between:

1) A DX P7. The single 18650 ones are around 35 bucks. No CLUE which one to get though. The 2 battery ones would be fine, but they cost significantly more with no real benefit (except runtime).

2) SC50 lights. I guess they are the newest thing out? sku.31869 as an example from DX. A bit pricier, but looks really promising. I just wanna make sure I get a great flooder, as I dont care about Throw so much.

3) MC-E. There was one from shiningbeam which is sold out called MC PLI or something that was highly rated. No word on when it would be back in stock.

4) Romisin R6 or something. Has 6 LEDs. Inconsistent reviews though.

Any thoughts or threads to point me to? I made a thread a while back, but learned some new stuff, so don't want to necro it. Thanks!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard some bad things about the quality on the polestar, but I'm guessing it will still be superior quality to your average DX light, most of their other lights get very positive reviews.I feel like ITP is the hot budget brand at the moment, which used to be probably romisen(which are still great but they usually only make single mode lights). The 2x18650 lights are also brighter not just longer runtime I believe, but not positive.

I was also going to recommend the widely popular MG PLI or RX but they are both they don't seem to be in stock at the moment.

I would say go with the polestar. I like that it uses 6xAA's.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you read this review, which mentions the recalled battery carrier, it still isn't very glowing:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/252484

Again though I think ITP is quite well respected as a budget brand, and I'm confident despite its problems it will be superior to most things off DX.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) A DX P7. The single 18650 ones are around 35 bucks. No CLUE which one to get though. The 2 battery ones would be fine, but they cost significantly more with no real benefit (except runtime).
There is a benefit -- you're much more likely to get full current (and hence brightness) from 7.4V than 3.7V.

Rod911

Enlightened
An XTAR TZ50 for a limited-time-only price of US$69.99.

It looks like an Olight M21, so I would hazard a guess that it'll perform similarly. It also has an extender tube for 2*18650 action for longer run times.

stallion2

Enlightened
well....if you're sure you want a lot of flood for that price then i may have the perfect suggestion. on DX there are a couple of "diving" flashlights. the only difference between them is that one has an SSC P7 emitter rated at 900lm and the other has a Cree MC-E emitter rated at 640lm. i think the manufacturer (or they may just be another distributor) is Magicshine...they have the same lights on their site. you won't see the name on the DX versions though.

i purchased the P7 version and have somewhat mixed feelings, but then i wasn't really going for the same thing it sounds like you are. the flood on this light is outrageous, even excessive...not something i value for diving. it makes my Olight M30 look like one of the Jetbeams. this is the only thing i don't like about it. everything else is great. the build quality is absolutely outstanding...i can't say if its Surefire good cause i've never owned a Surefire as big as this but i would say the build quality is every bit as good as my Thrunite Catapult. it also has a magnetic ring UI which works extremely well. my version was about $80, the MC-E version is more. based on the beam shots for the MC-E version on DX, it looks like there is a huge halo effect...which confuses the hell out of me...thats usually something that happens when you start concentrating the beam too much.

SSC version is sku 29069
Cree version is sku 26498

awid

Newly Enlightened
About 600 lumens for under $80?

MG PLI.

I keep hearing about the PLI but can't find it for sale anywhere. Only place I heard of was Shining Beam but they don't seem to carry it any longer.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a popular light so its regularly in and out of stock, they also seem to update it quite a bit. I'm sure it'll be back eventually but who knows when.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
+1 for the MG PLI from me.

It's a great light, and even though it might seem like a budget light, it's definitely not lite on quality. I have two, a black one and a Camo one.

Both work fantastic, solidly built, very bright.

The team at shiningbeam take it off the website when it's out of stock, so the trick is to check back every few days to see if it's in, in which case, order it immediately because it disappears as quick as it appears!.

Can't praise this light enough!

Regards,
BedazzLED

liketotallyrandom

Newly Enlightened

joe1512

Enlightened
Great Suggestions all! I might look at that HID light. But I kinda figured Id go with one that is a bit smaller.

That XTAR TZ50 looks really awesome. Is it a high Flood light with minimal throw? I am ASSUMING that SST-50s are typically high flood/less throw? Like the P7?

I like the GoingGear one too. Using 6 AAs is a great bonus.

I have never done any mods, so I will shy away from any such kits. Good idea though.

So many great suggestions... so little budget from the Mrs. :)

I really appreciate the high quality suggestions. I am a bit leery of taking a 'crap shoot' and want something that is reasonably solid. Doesnt have to be top notch, but want something that will at least work right.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I have been reading this forum and looking on DX, etc.

Heres what I am torn between:

2) SC50 lights. I guess they are the newest thing out? sku.31869 as an example from DX. A bit pricier, but looks really promising. I just wanna make sure I get a great flooder, as I dont care about Throw so much.

3) MC-E. There was one from shiningbeam which is sold out called MC PLI or something that was highly rated. No word on when it would be back in stock.

4) Romisin R6 or something. Has 6 LEDs. Inconsistent reviews though.

Any thoughts or threads to point me to? I made a thread a while back, but learned some new stuff, so don't want to necro it. Thanks!

what will you be using it for?

500+ lumens is a lot of light,

most people use less than 100

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/256262

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Great Suggestions all! I might look at that HID light. But I kinda figured Id go with one that is a bit smaller.

That XTAR TZ50 looks really awesome. Is it a high Flood light with minimal throw? I am ASSUMING that SST-50s are typically high flood/less throw? Like the P7?
The XTAR is pretty nice. SST-50s are a bit throwier then P7s\MCEs, but they are still pretty floody.

I really appreciate the high quality suggestions. I am a bit leery of taking a 'crap shoot' and want something that is reasonably solid. Doesnt have to be top notch, but want something that will at least work right.
I would be careful with the DX lights, then. It's quite common to get a nonworking one from them. The XTAR would certainly be higher quality, and in all honesty, probably sturdy enough and bright enough for you.

If you want to go the extra mile and squeeze out a bit more brightness with better build quality, the L2p is still an option. I can't honestly say I would recommend it over the XTAR, though, with the extra cost - the XTAR should be perfect for what you need it for.