Just Ordered a Stock Fulton! What To DO???

Sean Archer

Newly Enlightened
You guys have made me an addict...first my 4D Mag upgrade and now this. The Terralux for my 4D isn't even here yet...*shakes head*.

Anyway. Incoming Fulton Mx-991/U and I supposed I will want to upgrade to an LED. What's a good LED bulb that fits perfectly and doesn't need to be rammed in/padded with tissue paper?

paulr

Flashaholic
Drop-in bulb replacements are sort of a wimpy compromise. If you want a LED-ified Fulton, Wayne Johnson (Elektrolumens, an old time CPF'er) makes a nice one:

http://elektrolumens.com/AngleLux/AngleLux.html

The url above is a bit out of date since it describes using a Seoul P4, but the current version (click the shopping cart) uses a Cree XP-G which is the most modern and efficient led.

Sean Archer

Newly Enlightened
Drop-in bulb replacements are sort of a wimpy compromise. If you want a LED-ified Fulton, Wayne Johnson (Elektrolumens, an old time CPF'er) makes a nice one:

http://elektrolumens.com/AngleLux/AngleLux.html

The url above is a bit out of date since it describes using a Seoul P4, but the current version (click the shopping cart) uses a Cree XP-G which is the most modern and efficient led.

Eh, too rich for my blood. Also I want to use cheap alkaline batteries and it says power drops off by 50% with those.

litemax

Newly Enlightened
Eh, too rich for my blood. Also I want to use cheap alkaline batteries and it says power drops off by 50% with those.

According to the page it runs only on Alkaline battery, so I don't see any problems.

The only 50% I see on the page is that the light takes 24 hours of continuous running to drop to 50% brightness. Nothing there says that power drops off by 50% with those.

Sean Archer

Newly Enlightened
According to the page it runs only on Alkaline battery, so I don't see any problems.

The only 50% I see on the page is that the light takes 24 hours of continuous running to drop to 50% brightness. Nothing there says that power drops off by 50% with those.

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=elektrolumens&product=Anglelux-XPG&cart_id=1057803.13434&user-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact

"Alkaline batteries will work but be about 1/2 as bright, in the high power application flashlights, like the drop-ins, Ultra-Throw, etc."

Sean Archer

Newly Enlightened

I've read a few of those threads, but a few I hadn't seen yet :D. Thanks!

One thing, though, is that they all involve some kind of extra work. I just want a simple drop in.

According to this post:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2620120&postcount=4

any bulb here would fit w/o addition mods, is that true?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178595

paulr

Flashaholic
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=elektrolumens&product=Anglelux-XPG&cart_id=1057803.13434&user-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact

"Alkaline batteries will work but be about 1/2 as bright, in the high power application flashlights, like the drop-ins, Ultra-Throw, etc."

I don't think that applies to the AngleLux, which is a low powered light comparatively speaking, and which isn't direct drive like some of EL's larger lights. The early versions used a micropuck boost converter, though I'm not sure what the current ones are using.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I would say take the anglelux idea and make it better....

if you have your way with making an aluminum slug, use a driver on it, solder the wires on the Anglelux leads and get an
R2 XR-E from Cutter electronics plus a reflector for this....it is a 39mm wide....

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the entire sentance especially the bits I bolded please.

TerraLUX has a new TerraLUX TLE-6EXB which is 140 lumens vs. the 50 lumens of the TLE-1F.
It's funny, because after some additional research I'm leaning towards the TLE-1F. Amazing.

With the exception of the SMJLED PR2, most of the LED drop ins do not focus too well in a fixed focus flashlight.
In my 6V lantern (big reflector) the TLE-1F produces a donut hole close up, nice hotspot at more than 10 feet.
In my 6V lantern (big reflector) the TLE-6EXB produces a nice hotspot close up, donut hole at more than 10 feet.
In a smaller light the TLE-6EXB hotspot just gets bigger instead of forming a donut hole.
YMMV

Sean Archer

Newly Enlightened
Read the entire sentance especially the bits I bolded please.

TerraLUX has a new TerraLUX TLE-6EXB which is 140 lumens vs. the 50 lumens of the TLE-1F.

With the exception of the SMJLED PR2, most of the LED drop ins do not focus too well in a fixed focus flashlight.
In my 6V lantern (big reflector) the TLE-1F produces a donut hole close up, nice hotspot at more than 10 feet.
In my 6V lantern (big reflector) the TLE-6EXB produces a nice hotspot close up, donut hole at more than 10 feet.
In a smaller light the TLE-6EXB hotspot just gets bigger instead of forming a donut hole.
YMMV

Would the TLE-6EXB fit in a Fulton 991?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the TLE-6EXB fit in a Fulton 991?

Even if this does fit it is going to have an aweful beam profile from the stock reflector.

The best setup is one that you do yourself. Mine runs 500mA to a U2 Seoul LED and totally destroy the stock output, and runs forever.

PM sent.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems some confusion over whether the Stock Fulton uses a PR2 flange based bulb or a screw bulb. Can someone with one clarify the situation. Don't want the OP to order the wrong kind.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
prflangefulton.jpg

Definitely a PR-flange based bulb with a screw in retainer/cup, as well as LED options you should also consider a hotwire solution! :thumbsup: