'Noobie' question.

Willz

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!

Since discovering this forum 4 days ago, I've been using the search function and the reviews for hours on end everyday... great stuff!

I would like to purchase ONE torch that will be suitable for the following activities:
Be carried in my pocket fairly easily
Nighttime hikes, finding my dog at night!
The odd camping weekend
Torch in case of power outage
Working on my car at night.

Based on the reviews on here, and the fact I can get it locally and cheap, I decided on the Nitecore Extreme R2. It seems to fit my criteria well.

Now for my question, will this single torch be enough? Most people who have the NEX on here seem to have numerous other torches. There's such a huge selection out there, and I just would like one single torch. Is this an appropriate choice?

Sorry if my question seem dumb, I'm just nervous about spending £55 on a torch, and then discovering that it's not suitable.

Thank you for any help received.

Regards,
Willz

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Willz.

I like your question:

will this single torch be enough?
The answer is NO, it won't be enough, if you stay with CPF for more than a few minutes, LOL. You are about to be bombarded with suggestions for numerous other "must-have" illumination instruments. Good luck (but you are doomed).

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you only want ONE torch, perhaps you're in the wrong forum!!! Almost every seasoned member here has like 20 torches too many...:broke:

Anyway, :welcome: and good luck in not turning to the "dark side" of flashlight collecting....:devil:

Hi everyone!

Now for my question, will this single torch be enough? Most people who have the NEX on here seem to have numerous other torches. There's such a huge selection out there, and I just would like one single torch. Is this an appropriate choice?

Sorry if my question seem dumb, I'm just nervous about spending £55 on a torch, and then discovering that it's not suitable.

Thank you for any help received.

Regards,
Willz

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Willz

If you stay around CPF for a while you'll need way more than ONE flashlight, so you better keep your wallet ready or just run out here before it's too late... :D

Willz

Newly Enlightened
Ha! Funny replies! And thanks for the welcomes.

Yes yes yes, I know what everyone is saying, and yes I am becoming victim of the torch craze. I have no idea why, I've been on Fenix, Nitecote and Jetbeam's websites drooling the past few days!

Maybe I should rephrase my question:

Is the NEX a worthy Torch for my needs and the start of my collection?
:popcorn:

Willz

Newly Enlightened
Haha funny replies! And thanks for the welcomes guys!

Yes yes yes! I am falling victim of the 'torch craze'. Don't know what it s about them. I've spent the last few days drooling on Fenix, Jetbeam and Nite core's websites!

Maybe I should rephrase my answer:

For now, is the NEX a suitable choice whilst I build up the funds the more torches?

Hi Willz,

I'd almost wager that the NEX wouldn't be the only torch you're going to own if you hang around here lol, but you'd be off to a great start! :welcome:

Ah brilliant, that's what I was looking for. Thank you Noobiwan.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
Be carried in my pocket fairly easily
Nighttime hikes, finding my dog at night!
The odd camping weekend
Torch in case of power outage
Working on my car at night.

I have a customised Romison RC-C6 II WW which has been invaluable for the follwing tasks:
- Carrying in my pocket ALL the time.
- Walking across the local park, which has no lighting, at night
- Finding a dog in the park that had managed to slip it's collar (not my dog though)
- Finding my way around the village, and my home, in the recent power outages we had due to the severe weather.
- Seeing into an awkward place on a friend's car when he needed to change the oil filter (messy!)
- Seeing down the back of the filing cabinet when we lost some keys
- Seeing under the bed (though we wished we hadn't)
- Lighting the room when the bedside light's bulb went.

I think it's a superb little performer, and the stock version which apparently isn't very different can be had very cheaply. It's far more useful and versatile than my TK40, which is for one specific job - seeing down footpaths and across fields at night. In fact, I tend to use my TK40 and my Romison in tandem when walking.

You want it to be a small size to fit in your pocket. This really means you want a flashlight powered by a single CR123 cell, as that gives you roughly as much power as 2AA cells. CR123 cells are easily come by in shops (look in the photo batteries section in a lot of stores), and rechargables are also available.

If you can find something with a warm-tint light it wont be quite as bright (only fractionally mind you), but the light is generally more pleasing to the eye.

For your £55, you could get more than one small flashlight, and distribute your lighting. For working on your car, I'd suggest two lights, so you can hang one to give general light and have one in your hand to peer into/around things.

I'd also suggest one of those tiny keychain lights for the dog. A single low-powered LED will do. It just provides a glowing dot in the dark where the dog is - quite a few people use them where I walk, and they're very effective. Being keychain lights, they're no more bothersome to the dog than the name-tag on the collar. Don't get a powerful bright one, just get a handful of the cheap ones - the dog may break it anyway, and it's only for you to see where th glowing dot is!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

nice choice for a first light, just get it first, it will suit your needs to a certain extent, then after a while, you'll come to think:-

1. i don't need soooo much light when navigating in the dark, darn, i wish the NEX had a lower low level.

2. though it does throw a spot of light a decent distance, i wonder what that thing is 200m away?

3. hmmmm, the light gets dim or goes out after such a short time, what can i get that gives me longer runtime?

4. i just want another light!!!

corvettesR1

Enlightened
Hi Willz and :welcome:. I just want to point out that many of these lights come with very nice belt holsters which will allow great comfort in carrying a light.This would truely widen your choices for a new light .

Have fun and please be sure to let us know which light you sellect.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF!

ps. Now that you're here, you are going to need (i) a second job, (ii) an addiction counselor, and (iii) improved communication skills to better deal with your spouse.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll need a back up light, and a backup for backup light.
If you love Nitecote and Jetbeam's websites, do not go to 4sevens.com.

Willz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a bunch for the answers guys!

The only thing concerning me is the fact the NEX takes CR123 batteries, meaning I would need to purchase batteries + charger.. adding to the cost.

Are the 1AA models i.e. the Nitecore D10 or LD10 bright enough for what I need?

Or should I just bite the bullet and get the NEX and batteries/charger!?

:shrug:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I could carry a NEX as my only torch for a couple weeks. I actually did when I went on vacation once.

I think it is a good choice and as long as it doesn't end up being a problematic one, could last you for a very long time.

Egsise

Banned
Are the 1AA models i.e. the Nitecore D10 or LD10 bright enough for what I need?

Or should I just bite the bullet and get the NEX and batteries/charger!?

:shrug:
Difference between 100 and 150 lumens is really not that big.
I think you should consider the D10, it accepts AA NiMH, 14500 Li-ion and the size is still reasonable.

Don't buy those neutral led lights, there is no coming back if you try any of them.
Beam shape, you just need to try which suites you best, it's easy to turn a thrower into a flooder.