LED Duty Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry1582

Enlightened
Any Law Enforcement Officers out there using a LED flashlight as their primary duty light? What kind?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are a LEO? Don't think that there is any LED lights that have good throw. You mind telling us what you plan to use your lights for?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL1 on an E2e( or Scorpion) is a great secondary light. Can't think of any LED that can be used as a primary light. A year or so in the future maybe.

Then again the best flashlight, knife or gun is the one you have with you
wink.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Larry1582:
Any Law Enforcement Officers out there using a LED flashlight as their primary duty light? What kind?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Larry,

I don't believe that any of the CPF LEO's has ever mentioned a LED as a primary or even secondary light. It's more common to see a Magcharger (note improved bulb since early 2002) with a 6P, or an UltraStinger backed up by a smaller Streamlight, etc.

If we take the MC or a roughly equivalant Streamlight as a typical, widely used duty light, then we're talking about 40,000cp approx. If you're looking for that level of illumination, or anywhere near it from a LED light then I'm afraid that you'll just have to forget about it.

However, if your work as a PI involves relatively close range detailed observation, then a good LED might be useful. Also, if spotting or tracking a blood trail is part of your work, certain colors of LED light could be very helpful to you.

It might be useful if you can repost with more explicit detail about your needs and expectations.

Brightnorm

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still stand by my post. The KL1 is a great secondary light. I don't leave home without it
wink.gif

Larry1582

Enlightened
I did not think there was a LED light bright enough yet, but I did not know if there was something I missed. I have been mostly a day shift investigator for the last 5.5 years and usually just carry a Streamlight Scorpion. Doesn't get used too much.

I have a evening secondary employement job where we are allowed to wear our department uniforms and duty belts. I have a Pelican M9 and a Polystinger that I swap out on the duty belt. Our department only allows plastic or poly flashlights. The Scorpion is actually a violation of the department policy as it is currently written. No full-size metal Maglights or Streamlights allowed.

Larry1582

Enlightened
One of the reasons I asked, I was in the local uniform shop last week. They are now selling the Inova X5T with a nice little belt holder. I think they wanted about $60 or $70 for it.

Thanks

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Larry1582:
One of the reasons I asked, I was in the local uniform shop last week. They are now selling the Inova X5T with a nice little belt holder. I think they wanted about $60 or $70 for it.

Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you do what this light it can be had much cheaper than that at TTS.
grin.gif
$39.99

Status
Not open for further replies.