Everglades Challenge 2010

Komoniwannashoya

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
Lurked and searched and still branded a confused n00b! :thinking:

I'm doing the Everglades Challenge in March. It's a 300 mile small boat race down the coast of Florida. I'm doing it in a 15' sailing kayak. I'll be doing a lot of it at night so my requirements are threefold:
1 - Chart reading (night vision preservation and hands-free operation)
2 - Landmark identification (Long throw - Is that an island out there?)
3 - Boat illumination (all-round white light as required by the Coast Guard)

All of these things need to be lightweight - it is, after all, a race.
They also need to be able to withstand a drenching as well as be operated by a sleep-deprived idiot with cold hands.

Initially I wanted them to all run on AA LI-ion to make them power compatible with the rest of my stuff (GPS, Radio, etc) but after reading the forum for a while I'm beginning to think that's a foolish notion.

I found this - http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/NaviSafe_Navi_360/
which I thought might work as a nav light.
I've looked at a ton of headlamps and the last thing I need is little tiny clickies and disco lightshows!

I really have searched the forum, but you guys mostly talk waaaay over my head about squeezing out the last little bit of performance out of a light while I need some reliable companions to help me get a job done.

Thanks for the advice,
Mark :wave:

bstrickler

Enlightened
For everything but throw, I would say get 4Sevens' Preon. It runs on AAA's, and is extremely small, and very bright for its size.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_332

For throw, depending on your budget, you could get a Surefire 6P with a P60 LED dropin, or a Surefire knockoff, like Solarforce, for half the price.

Here's links to the Solarforce L2, which is a knockoff of the Surefire 6P, along with a P60 Dropin that will work with up to 4 CR123's, or 3 Li-Ion batteries. Since you will not be able to recharge batteries, I would just suggest you get some CR123's. You should get at least 2-3 hours of regulated runtime off of 2 CR123's with the dropin I have listed (only draws 1/2 amp with 2 CR123's). With 1 18650, you'd probably get 4-5 hours.

http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...-Switch-all-Black-Type-2-Anodized_p_2629.html

http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Fa...ssembly-for-SureFire-C-P-Z-Series_p_2620.html

The P60 Dropin throws quite far, too. I would say at least 150 yards (with dark-adapted eyes). If you want true throw, I would go with an HID, but the problem with those is you need to recharge them.

The downside is, the Solarforce L2 isn't listed as water-resistant, so it might not be the best choice, unlike the 6P, which is water resistant, and even more-so, if you add an extra o-ring to the tail of it.

~Brian

n2deep

Newly Enlightened
This doesn't sound like a very fun race. Kinda reminds me of work. I think for my all around light I would go with the 4sevens Quark 123x2 it has a moonlight mode that will be useful for reading maps. Here is a link.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297&products_id=1599

As a thrower I think you have lots of options. I'm thinking maybe the Olight M20 or M21. I have the M20 and it seems to throw pretty well. Both of these run on Cr123 batt's so stock up.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=86&products_id=2141

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think a good headlamp combined with a durable hand held would do the trick, and use the lanyard for sure. Good luck 300 miles dang, is there rest points along the way like maybe 300 of them I would need one every mile I think.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend a Zebralight for your map reading and any work you need special attention for. You can get them in AA (H501), CR123 (H30), or 18650 (H60).

I think they all go to a very low low to not ruin your night vision, and can be strapped to your head or clipped to your shirt.

How long does it take to go 300 miles?

strinq

Enlightened
:welcome:

1 question, what's your budget?

Also, +1 on what jhc37013 said. A solid headlamp with a power thrower would be good. The zebralights are THE headlamps in CPF now. A good and very reasonable thrower would be the Eagletac T100C2 Mark II. They use 123 li-ions though.

There are not many single li-ion AA lights that are good throwers...

Komoniwannashoya

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys - solid info, just what I needed.

Not sure how long it will take - depends on the wind and weather.
The first checkpoint is about 70 miles I'll probably get there mid afternoon on day 1.
Second checkpoint is about another 70 miles - won't make that until sometime in the middle of the night (wind usually decreases after dark). CP2 weaves through some islands on the way in and mangroves on the way out (or so I've been told) This is where I'll need a good thrower.
CP3 is around the tip of FL in Flamingo and the finish is across Florida Bay in Key Largo. FL Bay is a maze of little islands and if I hit it at night I will most assuredly need a goood thrower! :candle: 303 miles in total. anywhere from 1.5 - 4 days. 1.5 would be nice!

Komoniwannashoya

Newly Enlightened
Budget?

Don't have a budget, I have a wife! :whistle:

Seriously, I've spent a fortune (for me at least) on a boat and all the other stuff I need to do this race. It would be stupid to waste all that running into an island because I was too cheap to buy a good light.

I just need it light, reasonably small, and a hell of a thrower, as well as, a headlamp to read the charts!

I'm sure you guys can point me towards something not outrageously priced as well.

Thanks,
Mark

Komoniwannashoya

Newly Enlightened
OK, here's what I've decided:

Zebralight H501R - where can I get a headband for that?
and a
Eagle Tac T20C2 w/ 2xCR123

Sound reasonable? :grin2:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here's what I've decided:

Zebralight H501R - where can I get a headband for that?
and a
Eagle Tac T20C2 w/ 2xCR123

Sound reasonable? :grin2:

A headband comes with the Zebralight :) Remember to bring along a few extra sets of batteries, don't want to be left in the dark!

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading chart ----> ZebraLight Headlamp H501 (1AA)
Thrower ----> Fenix TK20 OR the Dereelight Javelin (2AA)
Boat illumination ----> Sylanvia 4AA lantern (4AA) for hrs. on low.

If you want something beside AA batteries...

Zebralight H60 headlamp (18650)
Dereelight DBS V3 (18650) Great thrower

Have fun and don't forget to take some pictures for us CPFers that don't have the opportunity to do what you're about to do!!!

Last edited:

jankj

Enlightened
I do recommend you get the warm (neutral) version of whichever zebralight you choose. Colors on the map show up much better. Again, the low setting is plenty bright enough for reading the map. Edit: I see you've chosen the RED zebralight... Fine, I have no experience reading maps with red light but I know it's quite common. I think most nautical maps are made compatible with red light.

As for throwers... I have 4sevens neutral white quark AA and AA^2, and find them quite throwy for my needs. I think in particular the AA^2 should give the fenix TK20 tough competition (I tested the TK20 for some time). But I'm not really that much aware of the other thrower options available... I do know that I would pick a warm or neutral tint - not only because I like pretty colors, but because the beam is so much more usable outdoors. But my tint preference exclude some of the higher performance throwers.

A more interesting question is how far you need to see. Any of the throwers recommended should be plenty bright enough for almost any purpose at 100 yards. I know the quark AA^2 and TK20 are. But go much beyond 150 yards and the usefulness of the light drops abruptly. Exactly how far you can see is then more a function of what you're looking at than anything else... As I said, I have little experience with the alternatives, but I highly doubt any LED thrower in this category will be useful out to say, 300 yards unless you're spotting man made reflectors. Perhaps the custom built DEFT...

HID is the way to go if you want long range illumination. But those long range HID beasts require some killer batteries... You could hook say, the $70 stanley HID (walmart/amazon) on a car battery without any modification what so ever, and it would blow ANY led thrower clear of the water, run time directly proportional to battery capacity. It's about half an hour with the supplied 3Ah battery, should be close to 30 hours with a 60 Ah car battery. (I'd want a warmer tint, but the gross amounts of throw and output makes up for it... truly useful at a reasonable price, but this solution is quite heavy weight). Most other HID solutions costs WAY more than this...

But how much do you really need...? If you're stuck in a zig-zag labyrinth of mangroves I highly doubt you'll see much beyond 100 meters anyway... in which case a decent multi-level thrower (such as quark AA^2) is all you need.

Edit: I misread "boat illumination", which really is all about what I call navigation lanterns. You don't need any more illumination INSIDE the boat than the zebralight on low...

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the zebralight, you can check them out at www.zebralight.com you may or may not want a warm tinted (H501W) which renders colors better (is that critical for map reading?)

also, there isnt anything wrong with wanting consistency in cell usage, if you have AAs you can stick with them.

Take a look at this Jetbeam light it is completely programmable to suit your needs and is also a very tough piece of equipment that can take some splashing.

It also looks good doesnt it :D check out Selfbuilt's review on this light.

Komoniwannashoya

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered an Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2!

Thought it was a good compromise between size/throw.

I still have a month before I leave which gives me time to evaluate it and get something else if it isn't good enough! My wife is already braced for that probability. She's sensing the emergence of latent flashaholism. I've always been '***** for the gear'.

Couple the M20 with the Zebralight H501R and I think I've got a winning combo.

Thanks for all of your help!:twothumbs

Mark

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered an Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2!

Thought it was a good compromise between size/throw.

I still have a month before I leave which gives me time to evaluate it and get something else if it isn't good enough! My wife is already braced for that probability. She's sensing the emergence of latent flashaholism. I've always been '***** for the gear'.

Couple the M20 with the Zebralight H501R and I think I've got a winning combo.

Thanks for all of your help!:twothumbs

Mark

pleasure was all ours, nice lights too

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a headlight, I'd like to recommend the SureFire Saint or Saint Minimus. The reason I recommend it is due to its excellent user interface. There is a dial on the side which, as you twist, it ramps up from 1-100 lumens and all levels in between. There is no messing with different modes, etc.

If you just need a small amount of light for map reading, just twist it on for a couple of lumens or twist further for more light for around the boat. Plus the Saint/Saint Minimus comes with SureFire's legendary build quality. Of course, it is submersible as well (I think the spec if 3 feet for 30 minutes).

I've owned a few different headlights over the years, but my Saint Minimus has been the only headlight I've used for some time now. It is most definitely worth the money!

Also, I'd recommend you do a search here on CPF for "Polarion PH40" :devil: Since you said you are willing to spend the money (and a PH40 isn't cheap), it's the real deal for a totally bada$$ thrower that can handle the elements without a problem as well.

Good luck with your race, it sounds like a lot of fun!

-Robert

Last edited:

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Komon,
Good luck in your race! It looks pretty danged grueling if you ask me! 300 miles 8 days on the water...Do you sleep in the boat or do you stop to camp on the shore? Up on a tree I would think! There's 'gators in them there waters:faint: