4 x AA Light?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I'm looking for something that is similar to a Turtle Light, something that uses 4 x AA.

The Fenix TK40 is similar to what I'm looking for but it's a bit too long and I'm looking for something shorter.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the ITP Polestar? It uses 6xAA.

There aren't many quality 4xAA lights.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the LED Lenser Frogman.

I posted my opinions here. OK but not great.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I dont know this turtle...

Something like the Streamlight Propolymer? :confused:

A Turtle Light looks something like the fat one on this review.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/craftsman_endurable.htm

Unfortunately, I'm unable to locate a picture of the Turtle Light as it's so old. The 4 AA battery are put beside each other, on the back of the LED.

You could sort of picture the Fenix TK40 cut into half and uses 4 AA instead of 8 AA.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Thanks for the links, I'm also looking for something that has a large reflector for throw purpose. ITP Polestar seem to be okay but I'll keep looking for now. Will probably settle with the ITP Polestar if I can't find the one that I like.

Illum

Flashaholic

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Turtlelight was made by Dorcy, who then came out with their own version in a yellow color. I have several of these. They take a standard bulb with a PR flange. Anyone interested in one please feel free to PM me.

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
Dorcy has the cyber light now that's 4xAA. The streamlight propoly is an oldy but a goody. I dont care much for the pelicans with the reversed LED, too tight a beam. The coast lenser p14 is my dream light but just cost too much.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three 4xAA lights that I can think of right now.
http://img209.imageshack.us/i/4aafront1544.jpg/
To the right of the Dorcy labeled "Turtle Light" is the ProPoly 4AA which is much brighter, with more throw, than the Turtle. It runs three plus hours in regulation before dimming [at a medium rate].

On the far right is a UnderwaterKinetics [UK] 4AAeLed which has a nice wide angle beam, and about 2/3 the output of the ProPoly. It throws about half as well as the ProPoly. It runs ten plus hours in regulation, with a slow decline after that, making it great for camping among other things. AFAIK the 4AA eLed is no longer produced, UK now makes a similar light with [at least] two stages, the low being the same output as my 4AA eLed.

All three lights are good battery vampires, with the UK eLed being exceptionally good at that. All three are very water resistant, and all have very good tints.

Last edited:

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I have three 4xAA lights that I can think of right now.

To the right of the Dorcy labeled "Turtle Light" is the ProPoly 4AA which is much brighter, with more throw, than the Turtle. It runs three plus hours in regulation before dimming [at a medium rate].

What I need is something with good throw that runs off a 4 AA... Always though that a TurtleLite is best because of the large reflector. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for Propolymer type of light.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ProPoly still throws surprisingly well. The reflector isn't particularly wide, but it's relatively deep.

I'd love to see a ProPoly with a XP-E or XP-G someday.

mn_doggie

Newly Enlightened
The Phantom Warrior series are a 4 AA light(s). They are hard to get unless you have a military/law enforcement connection. Once in a while you can find one on eBay.

They have some very unique features.

chenko

Enlightened
I just cannot understand why 4AA flashlights aren't being offered on the market, I'd seriously want one good led flashlight like that. :shrug:

joe1512

Enlightened
4xAA is kind of an odd configuration. A 2x2 config makes for a flat rectangle, which doesn't jibe with the standard tube shape that they go for.

For a power user, a single 18650 will go a lot further.

If you are ok with a 4xAA config's size, then you mine as well step up to a 6xAA itp Polestar or 8xAA Fenix TK40.

From what I hear, TK40 has a good deal more throw than the Polestar. It is meant to be more of a balance brtween throw and flood.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
4xAA is kind of an odd configuration. A 2x2 config makes for a flat rectangle, which doesn't jibe with the standard tube shape that they go for.

For a power user, a single 18650 will go a lot further.

If you are ok with a 4xAA config's size, then you mine as well step up to a 6xAA itp Polestar or 8xAA Fenix TK40.
2x2 AA's (like the Streamlight ProPoly pictured previously) can be a very comfortable size, and has the advantage of running on a common cell that can be picked up anywhere. And for me, 3x2 and 4x2 AA configurations feel considerably larger than 2x2.

4x Eneloops has essentially the same amount of energy as the highest capacity 18650's on the market, and there are plenty of higher capacity NiMH AA's. Plus, a 4xAA light wouldn't requite a buck/boost circuit to run most single LEDs in regulation.