Need lumen reference point . . .

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Looking for my first real, read $$$, flashlight. Something from Surefire or a 4Sevens Quark. Looking at both single and double CR123A versions with at least dual output levels. The two flashlights I have now are incandescent MagLights. A three "C" cell and a two "AA" cell. Can someone tell me what the approximate lumen output of these two lights are? I seriously doubt I have use for a 200 lumen light. Suggestions on Surefire models welcomed.

. . . and to not start another thread, are the pocket clips on Surefire lights removable?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
3C: 76.8 on fresh cells.
2AA: 15.2 on fresh cells

surefire clips are removeable on some.. which one are we looking at?

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Just as a note - remember that your eye percieves brightness on a logarthatmic scale. Thusly, for a light to appear twice as bright as your 76.8 lumen Maglight, it would have to be 4 times as bright (307 lumens). Your 2AA, although 1/5th the brightness, should only appear a little less then half as bright at the same distance and hotspot size.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Also, remember not to listen to people talking about how the eye sees different brighness.
Especially if they talk about logarithmic responses and cite a quadratic progression as example.
This is only true in absolute conditions (the lograrithmic part that is). As normal use is never absolute (you have streetlights, the moon, other illumination), so the case is never really that extrem.

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
3C: 76.8 on fresh cells.
2AA: 15.2 on fresh cells

surefire clips are recoverable on some.. which one are we looking at?

Surefire; L1 LumaMax & LX2 LumaMax

Quark; 123 Tactical & 123/2 Tactical

My Grandfather used to say, "I cannot afford to buy the cheapest". How does that apply to these two brands?

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Also, remember not to listen to people talking about how the eye sees different brighness.
Especially if they talk about logarithmic responses and cite a quadratic progression as example.
This is only true in absolute conditions (the lograrithmic part that is). As normal use is never absolute (you have streetlights, the moon, other illumination), so the case is never really that extrem.
:ohgeez:

I would mix quadratic and logarithmic, I thought there was something wrong with my example but I couldn't put my finger on it. I blame dyslexia, I'm generally good at math :thumbsdow

Anyway, you are correct. I gave an example of a quadratic function. The actual values for the logarithmic scale are unknown to me for lights.

The point I'm trying to make still stands, though. You would be hard pressed to see the differece between, say, 300 and 450 lumens unless you were directly comparing the lights. A general rule of thumb is that a 50% difference is required to see without a direct comparison, and 20-30% with the two lights side by side. And that's with relatively similar beam patterns - comparing a thower vs. a flooder is almost impossible.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire LX2 or E2DL for 2-cells.

Surefire L1 or E1b for 1-cell.

Depends on if you want a twisty or clicky, they are in respective order.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally love the silver E1B and LX2 and carries them around daily. Either one I mean.

And I love the Quark 123^2 also but mine is in neutral white.

You won't go wrong with either brand.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
In terms of quality, I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the lights mentioned, or anything from 4Sevens or Surefire that you were interested in.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two flashlights I have now are incandescent MagLights. A three "C" cell and a two "AA" cell.
If you don't need ridiculous amounts of lumens, have you looked into the MagLED upgrade for the 3C light and the TerraLUX TLE-5EX for the 2AA?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't need ridiculous amounts of lumens, have you looked into the MagLED upgrade for the 3C light and the TerraLUX TLE-5EX for the 2AA?
i would recommend against tle 5ex.
i have one, it claims 140lm, b.s. i also have Coleman max 2cr2 115lm, nice little light.
Coleman outperforms mag drip in, by a wide margin, ALOT brighter, longer reach, and huge spill, i don't get were they get 140lm number, if 115 Coleman embarrasses the hell out of my mini mag.
while tle 5ex is about 15-20$, entire Coleman light is 25$ at walmart including batterys.
tle not worth imo,
Coleman also makes the same light with 3aaa bats, it is a bit fatter than 2 cr2, but the same brightness.

Last edited: