SF A2 Aviator LED color comparisons?

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
Using just the low beam mode on the A2 Aviator from SureFire, how do the 4 colors compare against each other? Does anyone have beam shots against a wall comparing them?

I am leaning towards green due to eye sensitity issue giving me a greater perceived quantity of light for the near famous sidewalks and pot hole filled parking lots at night I seem to stumble through.

I know color isn't always the key as my Turqoise Photon's are much better at lighting up my path or the bed of pick-up truck then the greens.

THANKS!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Sid,

I have seen all of them at one time or another. The colors are bright but some have pretty tight beams with a fair amount of artifacts in them. I think the red was the worst offender on this issue and I even sanded and frosted the LED's to diffuse the light. I think you would find that the white LED's are the cleanest in beam but as you say, the colors might be "brighter". Hopefully others will chime in with good experience with the colors.

- Don

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I'm digging up this old thread to see if there are any new ideas on getting rid of the Olympic Rings in the colored A2 Leds.

How well does the sanding work? Any tips? Do you just sand the tips or the sides?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
It doesn't take much to "frost" the lens on the LED's and diffuse the light. I think some fine grit wet/ dry paper or a scotch brit pad would take care of the issue. Even some rubbing compound used on the rounded end of the LED envelope would improve the artifacts without diffusing the light too much.

- Don

bigthing

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

I replaced the LEDS in my A2 with some Toyoda Gosei turquoise leds with no artifacts and very smooth wide beam. The ones Craig reviewed on his LED Museum site.

mike

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Al,

If you ask nicely, I have access to some pink LED's. Perhaps they would be a compromise between white and red? You might get somewhere letting the women see your "inner sensitive" side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

BTW, I have a ring of Nichia 312 whites which give my idea of a great and even flood light but I think you already knew that.........

Kiessling

Flashaholic
how about your famous RGB LEDs, Don?
the A2 as a true multi-purpuse-tool: party-light, woman-seducing-light AND it could be used as a real flashlight, too ...
bernhard

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have no idea what hot barbie pink looks like. Does it look like the hair dye of some bloke off CPF?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I have no idea what hot barbie pink looks like. Does it look like the hair dye of some bloke off CPF?

[/ QUOTE ]
It actually does look a bit like hot pink hair dye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Here's a picture that shows a diffused pink LED held just a couple of inches away from the target:

etgpnk10.jpg

The LED is sold by ETG, model # ETG-5AX440-45-D if you're interested.
Oh, and my page about pink LEDs is right here if you want to see more.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Do I love any girl enough to give her an A2 with pink LEDs though?

I doubt it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks Craig!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Al ... let me explain ... it is not the idea to GIVE this light to any girls, would be quite stupid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
it is just for "attracting the bugs" .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernhard

Kiessling

Flashaholic
exactly! you got it!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
"All I know is the RED leds suck, big time. I can stand those 3-rings of circles."

Anyone got beamshots of the colors?

The one I saw at a local handgun range had an uneven pattern, but it was concentric circles with a tiny bright spot in the middle and not "olympic rings". I guess they had the LEDs well aligned in that one. It wouldn't show up as much with the white at the other shop, but they're also well enough aligned that unless it's like 6 in. from the surface you can't tell it's not one source.

I ended up buying that one for $160 (incl. 7% tax)...was just going to window shop but as fortune would have it, I got a card with a check in it the night before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif <jump for joy> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif <wheee!> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif My first SureFire! Guess I "wasted" about $20 buying it local, but I suppose there's something to be said for helping local dealers, and, well, can't beat the shipping time.

I played around with a Inretech spiderled Red adapter and an Opalec newbeam in the dark last night and, I dunno, the red just didn't seem quite as useful. Still, both would be nice so while asking them to order a spare lamp I said go ahead and try asking for a red LED ring. Who knows, maybe he'll get results.

I also tried my Eternalight Raven too see what R G & B LEDs look like and, yeah, it's ringy and blotchy and colorful, but kinda neat. Maybe I will mod the red ring if I actually get one.

The employees there did agree with Sasha's comment that SureFire is rather busy filling government orders right now. I was wondering, considering the soldiers seem to have Fulton angle-lights or minimags, but he said they make "Suppressors" for the machine guns in great numbers, as well as the weapon-mounted lights.

So, I'll count myself lucky that a) I could find an A2 for sale locally, and b) that i could suddenly afford it. It's a pretty nifty little light. Now, tell me why I shouldn't have just bought a Streamlight TwinTask 2L instead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
radellaf: i just got my A2, and i really love the two-stage tailcap. that, and the regulated incandescent beam is why the A2 is so cool! i'm still waiting on the replacement tailcap from surefire...i just checked mine and out of the three metal tabs only one is left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif mine has the white leds though, so the beam is pretty smooth.