bulb life on your Legend LX?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Local Wal-Mart started carrying the LX a couple of weeks ago, and I bought one for the heck of it.
With the center spot focused to the same size as that of my E2e, I can't tell the difference between them. Impressive light for $20.
Too bad the bulb is shot after about five minutes runtime.
Last time I started to use it, it gave one brief flash of light, and died.
Im going to order some new bulbs, but wondered if this was pretty common, or a fluke. Just curious.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
What??? I've only got about 20 minutes or so on my LX and the bulb is fine...I hope that doesn't happen to mine? What's the warranty say, I'll have to search for any paperwork I have that wasn't thrown away. Could always read a new "blister pack" at the store. Let me know what the bulbs cost, guess I have to go on a quest to find the least expensive bulbs now. Anyone else have any experiences with this?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
when my LX bulb goes toast, it'll pave the way for a 5W Luxeon....
cool.gif

WaltH

Enlightened
I recall people putting P60/P61 bulbs in these pretty easily. A high quality bulb but it doubles the money you've got in the light.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Owen ... what makes you think it's the bulb versus the batteries?

I got less than an hour runtime out of the LX batteries ... I think the batteries blister packed with the flashlight are pretty weak. This too has been discussed before on the site.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I_rv, the bulb is blown-visibly. The batteries work fine in my E2e.
No big deal, I'm just curious if it is common with this particular bulb.

Sigman, Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll try out a P61 for the fun of it.
That's the 800 # from the packaging. The warranty part says:
The Brinkmann Corporation warrants the Legend LX against defects due to workmanship or materials for the lifetime of the original owner. This warranty does not cover: batteries, rubber grips, flashlights damaged due to normal wear, abuse, improper maintenance, battery leakage, disassembly of parts, scratches to the finish (considered normal wear), or attempted repair by anyone other than an authorized employee of Brinkmann. Brinkmann may elect to repair or replace damaged units covered by the terms of this warranty.
This warranty extends to the original purchaser only and is not transferable or assignable to subsequent purchasers. Brinkmann requires reasonable proof of purchase. Therefore we strongly recommend that you retain your sales receipt or invoice. To obtain repair or replacement of the Legend LX under terms of this warranty, return flashlight (without batteries) and proof of purchase along with owner's name and address, postage paid and insured to:
Service Dept.
Brinkmann Lighting Products
1204 W. 27th St.
Kansas City, MO 64108

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Wow, you typed the whole warranty...found the card from the blister pack. Didn't see anything about the bulb (as you already know). I realize bulbs aren't covered (common sense), but if it failed right off the bat...different story.

I couldn't find my receipt, I hope if I ever need service the original blister pack card will do...The light didn't cost that much to begin with, I have to agree with a prior post...it fails, it gets a mod!

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Does anywhere else have these Legend LX flashlights? walmart.com came up empty - and here I am in Aust salivating at the thought of a Surefire copetitor at half the price.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owen...I think your bulb may have been a fluke. I bought my Legend LX almost 6 months ago. I've used it on and off since I got it...I'm on my third set of batteries, and it's going fine. One thing to consider is that you may have inadvertently touched the bulb with your fingers. Because of the high temperature that this bulb (...as well as all xenon bulbs) burns at, it doesn't take kindly to the oils from your skin, and can cause the bulb to blow. If you should ever have to handle the bulb, use a tissue or small cloth to hold it with...FYI

PJD

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sheesh, oil from fingers affect xenon bulbs too? I better start cleaning my Tec 40, my Surge, my Energizer with Mag Charger bulb... what should I clean them with?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
It's just like replacing the headlight lamps on your vehicle. Halogen bulbs as well will, whats Barney from "The Andy Griffith Show"...that Mayberry thing...say, "Bleeeewwwwy". (That was the episode where the dog ate the dynamite and they were freaked out about jostling him around or he may go "Bleeeewwwwy"...ok..the only reason I know that is someone gave me a "Greatest of Barney" DVD...

I wonder what kind of flashlights they used?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Nerd:
Sheesh, oil from fingers affect xenon bulbs too? I better start cleaning my Tec 40, my Surge, my Energizer with Mag Charger bulb... what should I clean them with?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Rubbing alcohol seems to work just fine for me. Use the 90% grade if available.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
90% works great, but I've found that 70% works well, too. Also know as Isopropyl, Rubbing and Denatured Ethyl Alcohol. Technical Alcohol is the same stuff- just no water.

My first LX lasted less than 5 minutes- I thought it got jostled when it was on (some bulbs don't like that), but.... Returned it, and got another one. If I'd had the loot, I would have set it aside for mods.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got off the phone with customer service at Brinkmann. They want me to mail (or fax) them a copy of my receipt showing that the light was purchased in the last 30 days, and they will send me a replacement bulb. I asked if I could email a scan of the receipt, since that would be the same as a fax, but that was a no go.
Bulbs are $4.95 if you want to order more, btw.
I don't care for the "we don't trust you" policy, and as a customer who already put his money down, won't be jumping through any hoops to satisfy it.

Think I'll try out a P60...