**Updated with photos**NYC tunnel tour(bring flashlights!)

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
***OK guys, little delay but I now have photos and my experience up!*Check post #24

Hey guys, I know we have some members here in the great city of new york.

Anywho I was reading the paper the other day and came across an article about a man named Bob Diamond who rediscovered an underground railway tunnel in Brooklyn.

Well I continued reading and saw he offered tours of this dark:)twothumbs), cold, underground, railway tunnel. At the bottom of this article it also said wear boots or sneakers and bring a flashlight. Once I saw that I just had to go. :devil:

So I check out this website http://www.brooklynrail.net/proj_aatunnel.html and see the next one is Jan 31st! (now its Feb 14th as reservations were filled) Perfect! Called and made a reservation for two, thought I take my father for the adventure. I call up and give my info, blah blah and at the end of the conversion the woman says "be sure to bring a flashlight" I replied "O dont worry I have it covered"

So, just thought I see if any members here were interested and its a good excuse to use our lights(like we need an excuse).

Google "NYC tunnel tour" for more info and pictures.

P.S.- I can not wait to see people with their cheapo lights from the dollar store when I pull out my SF LX2, Eagletac M2XC4, and other goodies.

Last edited:

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
Re: NYC tunnel tour(bring flashlights!)

I can just imagine a horde of CPF members put in a dark confined space fully "armed". The title should say- NYC tunnel tour, don't foget sunglasses. Or better yet, welding masks lol. lovecpf

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is too cool for words!!
I have a lot going on fo rthe 31st so that' sout for me but I would love to go on one of these tours? Sounds like the perfect pre-PF14 get together!

Ajay

Enlightened

Nice one Cosmo7809! I just reserved my spot for the 14th Feb. This could be an unofficial CPF NYC meet-up fu real!

:popcorn: Thanks Cosmo!

bstrickler

Enlightened

How often does he do this? I am going to be visiting NYC in the future, and would love to have an excuse to bring my lights, lol.

~Brian

Larbo

Enlightened

That looks too kool for words.:thumbsup:

Cosmo7809

Enlightened

How often does he do this? I am going to be visiting NYC in the future, and would love to have an excuse to bring my lights, lol.

~Brian
From what I hear 2 times a month usually on a Sunday.

I would check back at the website maybe two weeks before you decide to come here to NYC. Or if you know a date when you will be here, call up the number in the site and see if they have a date list of future tours.

Ajay, glad I could make your Feb 14th better ;)

O yah, I hope to take many pictures :thumbsup:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd have mixed feeling about using super-powerful lights in such tours. On the one hand, it'd be great to see what some of our lights can really do in those situations (and show off in the process!). But on the other hand, I wouldn't want to ruin the atmosphere of the event; shadowy corners seem to be part of the effect. I guess if it were me, the majority of the time I'd be using one of my light's low modes, then on rare occasions (to get a feel for the area/cavern whatever) I'd give it a blast at full power for a few moments, then go back to lower mode.

BTW if you do this tour, you MUST bring back LOTS of photos to post here, or you will be excommunicated from CPF!! :twak: :D

Cosmo7809

Enlightened

I'd have mixed feeling about using super-powerful lights in such tours. On the one hand, it'd be great to see what some of our lights can really do in those situations (and show off in the process!). But on the other hand, I wouldn't want to ruin the atmosphere of the event; shadowy corners seem to be part of the effect. I guess if it were me, the majority of the time I'd be using one of my light's low modes, then on rare occasions (to get a feel for the area/cavern whatever) I'd give it a blast at full power for a few moments, then go back to lower mode.

BTW if you do this tour, you MUST bring back LOTS of photos to post here, or you will be excommunicated from CPF!! :twak: :D

I did take that into consideration as I wont be the only person down there.

I dont want it to be like daylight under there.

I am taking the M2XC4 just to see the beastyness in it. But I think the Lx2 and PD30+ should serve fine with the choices of modes I can choose.

O and dont worry, there will be pictures.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Make sure to tell everyone about this site! We'd sure welcome the new members!

And I also second the pictures demand! Have fun!

Scottiver

Enlightened

Just be careful down there and look out for roving bands of vampires. There used to be a show called "Night Stalker" and he was always chasing vampires around the old abandoned subway tunnels. :eek:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Watch Stephan Kings "Nightshift" before taking the tour! Please report back on this! I would take my Minimus headlamp and a stock C3. I got to find an underground Sacramento Tour...

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I can just imagine a horde of CPF members put in a dark confined space fully "armed". The title should say- NYC tunnel tour, don't foget sunglasses. Or better yet, welding masks lol.
LOL, good one, the mental picture of that event made me smile. :huh:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is so cool!! I would LOVE to go on that tour!! Check out the book MOLE PEOPLE. Great stories about people who live in the abandoned NYC tunnels.

RGB_LED

Enlightened

Cosmo, that's a helluva great find! :twothumbs That would be so cool - sadly, I wasn't planning on visiting NYC this year :mecry:... might have to change my plans!

From the looks of some pics, there's quite a bit of light at the entrance and the staircase but not so muc further down the tunnel. Unfortunately, there are limited pics and I only perused the site... do you know the length of the tunnel? Is it just one area or turn, curve or extend around corners? It's really cool that they let civilians down in these areas. In my city, they have a subway (ie. underground / tube / metro) station that sits on top of another, unused station. Sadly, unless you're a film crew with a permit, they only allow access to the public about once every 5 years or so and it's usually restricted to only one night. :mad:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

One of the guys I went to college with took a class with Bob Diamond, and was part of the team that did the research to find it

It's actually a misnomer that it's a subway tunnel - it's a Long Island Rail Road (Yes two words Rail Road) tunnel, and was never used by the NYC Subway (The LIRR is a commuter Railroad)

Access is like 2x/month - what they ended up doing was punching the bottom out of a utility manhole!! You will actually walk into the street, where they will have a barricade setup, they will pull the manhole cover, and down the ladder you go

Boy, just went to the web site - they've added stairs and the like - wow

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got a friend who is going to try to do the 2/14 tour. If she sends me pics, I will post them here. :thumbsup:

Cosmo7809

Enlightened

Hey again fellas and thanks for all the comments.

Well I have a little bit of bad news but still good news.

Bad news is my father broke his foot so no tunnel tour for him :sick:

Good news in I am still going :twothumbs