Decisions, decisions... (Solved! See page 2!)

antikythera

Newly Enlightened
Hello all! I've had an account here for a while, but have mostly lurked, as I lack the experience to do much else other than ask questions and use the search feature.

Anyway, I purchased a Nitecore D10 R2 last January, and absolutely love it! Needless to say, (flashaholic powers... activate!) I saw the kinds of things that are being done with CR123A battery flashlights, and would like to try out a 1xCR123A. I'm not planning on replacing the D10, but would like to... ahem... add to my collection.

However, herein lies the problem. What do I get?

I live in Arizona, so there tend to be a fair number of tan-colored critters prowling around at any given time, so I use my flashlight (a 45 lumen Dorcy 3xAAA, then the D10) to keep from stepping on them around the house or outside.

Some features that I want in a flashlight (not really ranked):
1) Customizable settings -- Despite the easy set-up of the D10's brightness settings, having custom pre-set brightness levels is always nice.

2) More brightness than the D10 -- The D10 is a great light, but outside, it just doesn't seem to quite cut it. That may be a product of its narrow beam pattern, though.

3) A pocket clip -- This is a must. Almost 100% of the time when I carry the light, it is with the pocket clip. I feel that this is an important feature for any light.

4) Tailstanding -- I use this a fair bit, but with a little ingenuity, it's not really that important.

5) Runtime -- Very important. I plan to run the light off of RCRs, and don't want to keep having to change the battery every week.

I have perused the search feature of this wonderful site and discovered a few contenders.

Quark Tactical 123 -- Good brightness, very nice beam, somewhat bluish, though, well priced (with included goodies!), long-term reliability unknown

Ra Clicky 140C (Maybe GT, but it's kinda pricy) -- Alright brightness, excellent beam (excluding lottery lemons), excellent runtime, excellent durability, (seemingly) somewhat high lemon rate, quite pricy

Ra Twisty -- Known to be very reliable (except for occasional deformation of the U-wires), very nice beam, not that bright, customizable settings, not too expensive, but I'm not a huge fan of twisty mechanisms. I could give this a try if it's really good, though.

I am a student, so my budget is rather small (shouting distance from $100 would be nice), but hey, I don't buy these every day... yet! :whistle:

Anyway, I am somewhat lost as to what to buy, and I'm sure that I'm missing some other contenders here.

So, what are your thoughts? Are there any lights that I missed? Are these options any good?

Thanks!

Antikythera

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
Re: Decisions, decisions...

Give a thought to this light too:

The Liteflux LF3XT

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=186497

Crazily programmable and you will have the pleasure of having the most programmable light in the market. :D

I have the LF2XT and it's extremely good. Keychain carry for about half a year already with hardly any sign of ano wear. Also dropped it from 1m+ to hard concrete and marble at least 10-20 times and it's still working perfectly fine.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

i too am looking for a single cr123 light, and have been looking at the jetbeam rrt-0, its just so beautiful, and it really does look like it would be very comfortable and easy to operate in my hands. can tail stand great, it is long for its class at 97mm or 3 3/4 in. but the d10 is 3 1/2 inches so its still easily pocketable. its also rated at 240 lumens! ive seen beamshots, and its very impressive for a light its size.

ive also been looking at the romisen sc-c6(not exactly sure of the model) but it has a focusable lens, and its only about $22, seems like a fun little light, useful too.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ra Clicky all the way! It's hands down the best EDC light at it's price point. It has all the features you are looking for, and the current style flush tailcap will tailstand.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Another vote here for the LiteFlux LF3XT. Because of its programmability it can be set up just the way you want it. Also, don't forget to consider the diminutive Quark Mini 123. Not quite as versatile, but it's truly pocketable and cheap (relatively).

Geoff

antikythera

Newly Enlightened

Give a thought to this light too:

The Liteflux LF3XT

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=186497

Crazily programmable and you will have the pleasure of having the most programmable light in the market. :D

I saw in Selfbuilt's review that the switch for that light has some issues, so I was a bit leery about purchasing that one, despite its impressive feature set. Do you know if that was fixed in the latest batch (with the pocket clip tailcap)?

Ra Clicky all the way! It's hands down the best EDC light at it's price point. It has all the features you are looking for, and the current style flush tailcap will tailstand.

Yeah, I think so too right now, but what I'm wondering is whether or not the Ra is really 2-3x the light that the Quark is.:thinking:

That's the main decision that I'm having trouble making. It's kinda a value for money thing here. :broke:

joshconsulting

Enlightened

If it's value for the money your looking for, the Quark simply wins. Period. End of story.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it's value for the money your looking for, the Quark simply wins. Period. End of story.

I agree, Quarks offer the most light for the money right now. If overall build quality and durability are of concern, go with the Ra. I own a couple Quark MiNi's and they are awesome little pocket rockets, but my Ra Clicky would crush one if they went to battle. My point is, go with the Quark's if your light will not see much abuse, they really are great little lights. If you want to tust your life with your light, go with the Ra.

*Not knocking the Quarks at all, just saying the Ra's are on a next level as far as "bomb-proof" build quality goes*

antikythera

Newly Enlightened

I agree, Quarks offer the most light for the money right now. If overall build quality and durability are of concern, go with the Ra. I own a couple Quark MiNi's and they are awesome little pocket rockets, but my Ra Clicky would crush one if they went to battle. My point is, go with the Quark's if your light will not see much abuse, they really are great little lights. If you want to tust your life with your light, go with the Ra.

*Not knocking the Quarks at all, just saying the Ra's are on a next level as far as "bomb-proof" build quality goes*

So is the "bomb-proof" nature of the Ra the main advantage of the light?

Let me clarify what I meant by "value for money," as I meant something other than what I typed... :whistle:

I mainly wanted to "start from the top," so to speak, with the CR123A flashlight. The worst that is going to happen to the light is that it will fall on tile once or twice in its lifetime. I don't need the light to be proof against being run over by a car or something, but I want the light to last for a long time with little or no maintenance.

I want value for money over time, not necessarily immediate value for money. If a $60 light does most of what a $120 light does, then in the short run, the $60 one is better, but if the $120 one lasts many times as long as the less expensive one, then the $120 one would be a better buy, in my book. That's what I meant.

If the Quark will (or should, at any rate, seeing its newness on the market) last for a long time with no hassles, then great, because it will be a better value over both the short and long run. However, if there will be a significant difference between the useable lives of the Ra and the Quark, then I would prefer to get the Ra.

So, what is the case here?

joshconsulting

Enlightened

Let me put it this way. The Quark has a 10 year warranty.

For all practical purposes, the Quark wins. It will last until long after you lose it. If you want one which will last the longest in a sledgehammer-crushing contest, go with the Ra.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi and :welcome:

First, if you're going to be using your 1xRCR123 light on high mode for longer periods of time, you will have to carry spares as RCR123s wont last as long as CR123 primaries which would last longer but with diminishing output as the cell depletes. Take a look at this review and see the vast difference in runtime using RCR123s and CR123s.

One question, are you using standard AA cells in your D10? Or have you tried it with 14500 cells, there will be a difference in output with 14500 giving you brighter light.

If you want customisable, your choices arent that wide, the Liteflux, Quark tactical are the only 2 i can think of off the top of my head. My Jet II Pro IBS is cusomisable but i don't think Jetbeam makes them anymore though i thought i saw one on the marketplace. (just checked, it's been sold for $46).

Currently i EDC the Nitecore EX10 R2 clipped to my pocket and the Quark Mini 123 warm white on my keychain. Both lights are great little lights though i am unsure if the Qaurk mini has a clip available.

good luck with your search.

antikythera

Newly Enlightened

First, if you're going to be using your 1xRCR123 light on high mode for longer periods of time, you will have to carry spares as RCR123s wont last as long as CR123 primaries which would last longer but with diminishing output as the cell depletes. Take a look at this review and see the vast difference in runtime using RCR123s and CR123s.

I am aware of the ~50% drop in runtime with RCRs, but they are less expensive than using primaries, overall. At ~$1.20 a battery, they get pricy pretty quickly.

One question, are you using standard AA cells in your D10? Or have you tried it with 14500 cells, there will be a difference in output with 14500 giving you brighter light.

I've been using Energizer NiMHs, as I really don't know where to get 14500s. The NiMHs push 2500mAh, if that helps any. I can definitely see the difference between alkaline and the NiMHs, so I run the D10 off of those.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

I have a whole bunch of Quark torches. Well, I actually have enought bits to make about twelve combinations. I also got the Nitecore D10 before them and like you, I came to prefer direct access to brightness modes ratehr than slow ramping. To make matters worse I too really hanker after a Ra Clicky but to be truthful, I'm regarding the Ra as a bit of a luxury purchase and not quite justifiable.

In terms of value for money I think the Quarks are a standout. Apart from the fact that they all perform exceptionally well, there are a great many variations and all can be had just by buying the separate parts to make them up (and maybe also buy new heads when new leds come out). I find that the 123-2 is the perfect size for pocket carry and works very very well on a 17670 rechargeable.

There is, however, one real problem with the quarks for me. It's the lack of a deep carry pocket clip in the nature of the D10's. I don't like a chunk of my torch to hang out my top pocket or my pants pocket as it does with the stock Quark clip. The torches can get damaged (or even scratch something, say a car's paint).

Having that overhang can also lead to easier damage to the clip since there's more to be caught on. I solved the problem by fitting Nitecore D10 clips to a couple of my Quarks but for those unwilling to do that work the clip issue may remain a problem.

Of course many people don't like clips at all and the quark clip itself can be easily removed so it may be an actual advantage to some.

I'm not sure what your Arizona "brown critters" are that you need to avoid standing on them but where I live we have very deadly "brown slithery things" that come out night and day and my quarks help in avoiding standing on those (and also help when indulging in more "active" control methods).

Quark all the way.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let me put it this way. The Quark has a 10 year warranty.
:rolleyes: Most of us won't be using our Quarks three months from now, let alone 10 years.

Nothing against the Quarks (I like them - even gave one to my wife), but they're marketed to people who replace their lights more often than their underwear.

joshconsulting

Enlightened

:rolleyes: Most of us won't be using our Quarks three months from now, let alone 10 years.

Nothing against the Quarks (I like them - even gave one to my wife), but they're marketed to people who replace their lights more often than their underwear.
Agreed, but that's no fault of the lights :)

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

Nothing against the Quarks .................. but they're marketed to people who replace their lights more often than their underwear.
I keep changing mine for other quarks so their marketing must have me under their hocus pocus spell.

Thing is, good quality expensive underwear seems to need changing just as often as cheaper "value" underwear............

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

qmini123 w rcr123 on high is INSANE!!
seriously bright and med is enough for most EDC uses IMHO.
Most of the time you only need high for a min or two...
Im REALLY stoked on mine:twothumbs and cant really see the need
for anything else for EDC.... tho I do want the maelstrom when its
out:popcorn:

antikythera

Newly Enlightened

Excuse my noobishness, but what exactly do you mean by this?

I have a whole bunch of Quark torches. Well, I actually have enought bits to make about twelve combinations. I also got the Nitecore D10 before them and like you, I came to prefer direct access to brightness modes ratehr than slow ramping. To make matters worse I too really hanker after a Ra Clicky but to be truthful, I'm regarding the Ra as a bit of a luxury purchase and not quite justifiable.

In terms of value for money I think the Quarks are a standout. Apart from the fact that they all perform exceptionally well, there are a great many variations and all can be had just by buying the separate parts to make them up (and maybe also buy new heads when new leds come out). I find that the 123-2 is the perfect size for pocket carry and works very very well on a 17670 rechargeable.

There is, however, one real problem with the quarks for me. It's the lack of a deep carry pocket clip in the nature of the D10's. I don't like a chunk of my torch to hang out my top pocket or my pants pocket as it does with the stock Quark clip. The torches can get damaged (or even scratch something, say a car's paint).

Having that overhang can also lead to easier damage to the clip since there's more to be caught on. I solved the problem by fitting Nitecore D10 clips to a couple of my Quarks but for those unwilling to do that work the clip issue may remain a problem.

Of course many people don't like clips at all and the quark clip itself can be easily removed so it may be an actual advantage to some.

I'm not sure what your Arizona "brown critters" are that you need to avoid standing on them but where I live we have very deadly "brown slithery things" that come out night and day and my quarks help in avoiding standing on those (and also help when indulging in more "active" control methods).

Quark all the way.

It seems that we are following a very similar light trend, and for almost the same need (although mine is more spiders and scorpions, with the occasional "slithery thing"). Hmm. That clip thing may be a problem.

I'm still up in the air at this point, but I'm strongly leaning towards the Quark. (Get both? :nana:)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been using Energizer NiMHs, as I really don't know where to get 14500s. The NiMHs push 2500mAh, if that helps any. I can definitely see the difference between alkaline and the NiMHs, so I run the D10 off of those.

Alkalines give you 1.5v while NiMHs give you 1.2v +/- while 14500s will give you 3.7v (4.2v +/- fresh off the charger) so there will be an appreciable difference.

Here's a short thread about the D10 on 14500

You can get 14500s from AW's sales thread and a charger too i believe. Give it a shot with 14500s and you will be amazed at the difference.

EDIT: just saw another Jetbeam Jet II on sale here

Last edited:

antikythera

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the info, hyperloop! I'll be sure to check that out.

One last question though. How floody are the beams of the Quark vs. the Ra? This light will be primarily used at close ranges (read: "pointed at the floor, a little in front of me when I walk"), and I don't want a light that is designed for a lot of throw, with a really narrow beam pattern. For reference, I consider the D10 to kinda blur the line between floody and narrow.

Oh yeah, I lied about the whole "last question thing." Is the Twisty even worth looking at? I really don't think so at this point, but I just want to make sure...