Could someone tell me how my flashlights match up?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm just starting my collection, and on a college budget at that, and i was wondering if anyone could give me a brief review of these flashlights i have so far, and reccomend some others!

i've got.. the Coleman Graphite that runs on two D batteries and the Goleman Graphite that runs on two AA batteries.. these both have krypton bulbs and they work extremely well for me.. (aside from the D battery graphite's bulkiness)
then i have the Brinkman Legend LX.. i really dig this flashlight and it's very bright when walking thru the woods.. this one has a xenon bulb.. i'm sure you already know..
and i also have the Brinkmann Rebel Longlife LED.. this was the first flashlight i got and i've been very pleased with it.. it doesn't cast light as well as i'd like it to but there's my whole budget thing.. and i'm taking care of this at Walmart.. this runs on one LED light and two AA batteries.. i wish the beam was adjustable.. i haven't got any use out of the amber, red and blue filter lenses that come with it..

can anyone tell me how these lights matchup in a beginner's arsenal? and reccomend some inexpensive but powerful lights for me?

it'd help me out alot, thanks

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need an Arc-AAA, everyone does. They are on sale for $14 right now.

Arc-AAA

I just got my first one a couple of days ago, and it's most impressive. Very high bang for the buck ratio.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Along with the aforementioned Arc AAA, Princeton Tec Attitude is a cheap, good light. Streamlight Twin Tasks, Pelican M6, Streamlight ProPolymer 4aa 7LED, Surefire G2, Princeton Tec Surge. Of course it all depends on your definition of "cheap" and what you would want it for.

MicroE

Enlightened
Blinded---You need a Luxeon Star light. Since you're on a budget I would go to the Sandwich Shop and look into the BB500 modules. Pop one into a 2AA maglite and voila.---Marc

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Some good inexpensive lights are;
Princeton Tec (PT) Surge 8 AA $ $26
PT Tec 40 4 AA $15
PT Rage 4 AAA $11
Underwater Kinetics (UK) Sunlight SL6 ,6c $36
Pelican M6 ,2x123 $36
Streamlight Scorpion 2x123 $36
UK 2L 2x123 $26
The prices are approximate. This is just a small sample of
the popular & inexpensive lights. If you do a search on
some of these you can learn more about them.

obeck

Newly Enlightened
Re: Could someone tell me how my flashlights match

Hi Blinded...

Those are pretty run of the mill type lights. I think you would find that there are much better lights out there (both LED and incandescent). But , hey, the best flashlight is the one you have and you have to start somewhere. Enjoy them, read some reviews, see if you want to take a step up.

pal251

Newly Enlightened

I would get a surefire g2 or a surge, I think getting a scorpion and an m6 would be kind of redundant. I think the streamlight twin task lights are pieces of crap but thats just my opinion

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks alot guys!
i'm gonna build up my arsenal now.. then hopefully i'll pick up a thing or two from everyone here and figure out how to tinker with them to make them better..

i have an itch that can only be scratched by the brightest and farthest throwing lights, it's just too bad i can't afford them yet! ha!

i've already discovered some of the lights mentioned (the Scorpion and some Pelican lights) and they sound great..

thanks for helping me out guys..

also, does anyone have any good words about Dorcy? i noticed they have some inexpensive lights at Walmart with xenon bulbs..

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Arc-AAA is a must for your keychain. Not the brightest or longest throw, but definately the handiest light you can own. It's so small you don't even notice it until you need to use it. The clip is very handy for clipping to the bill of a ball cap too.

For a budget bright/long throw light, I'd go with a Surefire G2 Nitrolon. With the optional P61 lamp assy. it's hard to beat for the money.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

whoa thanks alot for your time..
i was thinking i'd get a couple suggestions, but a dozen! damn.

i feel like i'm being trained.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

Biggest, baddest, brightest and cheap. I have to go with the PT Surge. If you are low on money and already have a Brinkmann LX you don't need the SF G2 or the Pelican M6 (IMO).
Do get an Arc-AAA. It will always be with you.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

the arc AAA would be mandatory. i suspect if i weren't a flashaholic (and thus always wanting something brighter and more impractical), an arc AAA would be the only light i'll ever need /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

interpol

Newly Enlightened
Some suggestions I have for relatively inexpensive, premium lights that are better than what you can get at Wally World, with estimated prices:

CMG Infinity LED ($20)
CMG Infinity Ultra ($25)
ARC AAA ($25)
SureFire G2 Nitrolon ($30 - $35)
Pelican M6 ($39 on sale)
Streamlight Scorpion ($30)

Be warned, though - once you start down this path you will start wanting and buying bigger, brighter, and more expensive lights.

Citori

Newly Enlightened
Just to pile on, I'll recommend an Arc AAA. There are a lot of opinions about best EDC, best throw, best area light, etc., but almost no one disputes the Arc AAA's dominance of the keychain light niche.

If your Brinkmann is ther 2 AA kind I'd also recommend a module from the Sandwich Shop. The Brinkmann is a great host with its LO Clickie and cool rubber grippiness. The Sandwich Shop modules are simple to install and very bright.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they match up? Well, no. Counting that many of us spend around $1500 a year on flashlights..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Screehopper

Enlightened
And to add, the Arc AAA is still on sale for $14 from arcflashlight.com themselves. If you're looking into getting one, now is the time to jump on it.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

Look on eBay and the Buy-Sell-Trade forum on this board for some slightly used quality lights, but beware you will probably not find many "super" bargains.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm prety new to this as well and I can't recommend the PrincetonTec Surge enough. Got mine at a local dive shop. Very bright for the price and a decent runtime (5+ hours) on 8 AA batteries. Very good throw. Shining on a white wall, it doesn't look that much better than the Legend LX but outside, esp at distances much past 30 ft or so, the Surge really comes into it's own.

While you're getting the Surge, PrincetonTec's Impact is a 4 AA LED light that has a focused hotspot nearly twice as big as the Legend LED and that spot is noticably brighter. I got three on closeout at a sporting goods store. The runtime is something like 250 hours or some such... Very good LED.

I still have my crappy noname brand keychain teal-colored LED but I always keep the Legend LX on my person.

Good luck... don't get too caught up in this.

Screehopper

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
I'm prety new to this as well and I can't recommend the PrincetonTec Surge enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you made a typo. "can't" == "can"

Edited and added:
Opps, I must of missed the word "enough". That changes the whole meaning of the sentence. My mistake.

B@rt

Flashaholic

The only typo I see is a missing "t" in pretty... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif