Lookin for best throwing P60 dropin with OP reflector

PerttiK

Enlightened
As the title says.
There's almost too much info here on P60 dropins to find the answer.
Anyone know from experience what dropin with OP reflector throws best?
Some spill is welcome, therefore the OP reflector.
2 or 3 modes would be nice, strobe and sos not needed but acceptable.
This would be used with protected 18650.

Last edited:

linterno

Enlightened
My Solarforce (5-mode 4.2-8.4v CREE R2) drop-in throws ~100 meters (~330 feet, ~109 yards).

joshconsulting

Enlightened
The R2 is probably the farthest throwing dropin. The small P60 reflector doesn't really lend itself well to massive throw.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Some drop-in pills are able to screw further into the reflector,
this will give you a more focused spot = throw
(just the opposite; if you unscrew the pill a bit, you get more flood)
Test it out.

BTW, the deepest P60 reflector is a G&P LONG FOCUS, it's very different than a standard P60 reflector.

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
My XP-G R3 drop-in is just the opposite. It's in a smooth reflector. The more I screw it into the reflector, the larger and more diffused the hotspot becomes and vice versa.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pot Luck ... Your best bet in a P60 Thrower = XR-E R2 ..

I say pot luck because thats just what it is ...
My two best go 8500Lux @ 1 meter for the hotspot .
Next best is 8000Lux , then down to 7000Lux and the rest average 5000 to 6000 Lux .. Thats with my lightmeter , so no point comparing to other readings .

XP-E XP-G for me dont go above 5000Lux [ More like 4000Lux ] or about half the throw of a really good XR-E R2 ..

If you had a XP-E XP-G that did 4500 and a XR-E that did 5000 , then it would be close , but I have a large sampling of XR-E R2 p60 drop ins and I can tell you , its pot luck . But at the same time I dare say the XR-E has matured , and the odds of getting a good one should be better now , than say 6 months ago .

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
P60 /w XR-E is not the final word in throw by and stretch but it's still pretty capable. I have a Solarforce R2 1-mode and a Lumens Factory 3-mode. Since you're running on one 18650 you need to make a choice, do you want:

A) Good initial brightness that tapers down after about an hour or so but stays useable for several hours
B) A light that can run flat for about 2 hours and then abruptly cut.

If you want the first get any of the good R2 drop-ins that support multicell (buck converter), if you want the second get a dedicated 1-cell drop in. I can recommend the Lumens Factory 3-mode, it's never let me down, has great throw and smart mode spacing. It has mode memory and it has a smart UI in that a quick on/off of the light does not trigger a mode change, so it can be used in momentary without changing modes, the driver needs an interuption of less than half a second to change modes.

It also has nice tint.

Here is a beamshot on high:
lfr2.jpg